House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

profitofdoom

Car Parts Rip - Off

Just collected two spare parts for our workshop for jobs on customers cars.

1.Mazda air-con pipe. A piece of rubber pipe about a foot long with a metal connector at either end £59

2.Renault Sun roof seal.Looks like a length of draught excluder and half a dozen washers.£68

Neither of these parts could have cost more than two quid to manufacture.Allow for a 400% mark up.A tenner.

Really,we should be told.

My ex-boss once went and bought an oil filter for a Volvo truck and an oil filter for a Volvo car, when he got back to the office and looked at them, they were exactly the same part, same part number and all, except that the filter for the car cost twice as much as the one for the truck.

Isn't that always the case with new OEM parts?

I just buy old vehicles and go to the scrappers for anything major. If it's something simple like an easy pipe leak or draught (!) I'd just do the job myself. If idiots want to pay top dollar for crap then they will always do so.

R&D, storage of these parts, transport of them, you name it. .... just because they aren't expensive to actually make doesn't mean they aren't expensive. I do agree though, the cost of certain parts is ridiculous.....

BTW, how much would Ford have been for the aircon bit ? Though I presume the Renault bit doesn't also fit lots of Nissans ?

Back in the late 90's when I lived in Germany one of my English mates was driving a uk MG F he'd driven over. He decided to change some part like the indicators and was suprised to find:

If he'd bought the part when he was back in England (where the part was made) it was over £50.

Buying the same part from Germany - £8.

Treasure Island indeed.

Why do I only notice spelling mistakes after i've posted a reply? :angry:

Pirtek is the place to get the air con pipe.

Most stuff is available cheaper elsewhere.When it's a customer job there is no point though.You can't go climbing around a scrapyard and they just pick up the tab anyway.My point was that the main dealer/manufacturer is ripping off their customer.

Most stuff is available cheaper elsewhere.When it's a customer job there is no point though.You can't go climbing around a scrapyard and they just pick up the tab anyway.My point was that the main dealer/manufacturer is ripping off their customer.

Why can't you go round scrappies anymore? H&S gone mad? Haven't been in years.

Why can't you go round scrappies anymore? H&S gone mad? Haven't been in years.

because of the hassle of customers who go around demanding that it be replaced if it then fails in 3 months and how they know their rights.... I don't blame garages for this.... fit say a VW climatronic unit and it fails in 3 months and it's your cost..... customers will argue like hell that it's the garage's responsibility and it becomes a ballache. At least if they are new, you can get the part replaced by your supplier and the risk of duff parts is lower....

Obviously, for safety related kit like brakes and the like, H&S is much more relevant as well....

My point was that the main dealer/manufacturer is ripping off their customer.

Maybe the manufacturers sell the car at cost and make the profit on the spare parts?

for the same reason a perfume or a medicine costs pennies to actually manufacture, but the accompanied costs are HUGE. R&D, Marketing, Dealership Network, Transportation all have to paid for. Non official parts are often cheaper, but there are still high costs. The variety of parts is huge, but the number of sales for that part are tiny...

Aircon pipe for an older uk mazda which isnt made anymore (which is probably different from a mazda in a different country), total annual sales of said pipe 500? the whole supply chain from designer through the manufacturing a small number of parts each year needs to be paid for. As the vehicle becomes rarer the cost rises...

There is nothing stopping you making these parts and selling them for profit if you think there is profit to be made?

It's not just parts. I was changing the oil in a gearbox recently (a dump truck, not a car) and realised I was out of EP90. So I trog down to Halfords, and they have one litre bottles at £7 each. 7 friggin quid for a litre of unbranded EP90. I was desperate, so I bought some.

This got me checking the costs of these things, and I found that while their EP90 is the biggest rip off, all of their fluids are outrageously priced. You can get EP90 in 25 litre drums for £40, and you can get decent oil for about £10 for 5 litres, unlike £25 that they charge. (Google Lubetech Exol if you are interested). I now have a big rack at the end of the garage with all of the oils I need, as well as antifreeze etc. I'm never buying anything from Halfords again apart from "distress purchases".

Rip off parts were always the problem with Japanese and French cars. French cars are cheap to buy, but fall apart fast and are expensive to fix. Japanese cars are more expensive, but last longer and are similarly pricey to fix.

It's not just parts. I was changing the oil in a gearbox recently (a dump truck, not a car) and realised I was out of EP90. So I trog down to Halfords, and they have one litre bottles at £7 each. 7 friggin quid for a litre of unbranded EP90. I was desperate, so I bought some.

This got me checking the costs of these things, and I found that while their EP90 is the biggest rip off, all of their fluids are outrageously priced. You can get EP90 in 25 litre drums for £40, and you can get decent oil for about £10 for 5 litres, unlike £25 that they charge. (Google Lubetech Exol if you are interested). I now have a big rack at the end of the garage with all of the oils I need, as well as antifreeze etc. I'm never buying anything from Halfords again apart from "distress purchases".

Rip off parts were always the problem with Japanese and French cars. French cars are cheap to buy, but fall apart fast and are expensive to fix. Japanese cars are more expensive, but last longer and are similarly pricey to fix.

I was looking for a front bulb in Halfords about a month ago...They had one for £8, but I ended up buying two for £1.99 on ebay. Fitting would have been an extra £8 for 2 minutes work..

I was looking for a front bulb in Halfords about a month ago...They had one for £8, but I ended up buying two for £1.99 on ebay. Fitting would have been an extra £8 for 2 minutes work..

Idiots will always pay over the odds for crap. Halfords are good in that they open late, so if you really really have to have a part "now", then they're are good for that. And only that.

I had a Renault Modus with a bulb out.You have to remove the front bumper to change it.Renault charge £100 for the job.

Not having the know-how or time to fit stuff yourself hardly makes one an idiot.

Incapable idiot?

I'm not even talking about a valve clearance or cambelt change.

Light bulbs (overpriced, fitting a lightbulb (ditto) or piece of pipe FFS!

Or, buying a vehicle without doing due research as to the maintenance costs (crazy headlamp designs require a mechanic to replace a lightbulb) and then being surprised when having to pay for it?

Idiots!!!!!

There are people out there who cannot afford the time and are rich enough to just spend away, and you may be one of them, but hardly the majority is it?

Edit: p.s. I pay for a lot of work that I could easily do myself too. When lazy I even pay for someone to do the oil and filter. I don't bleat about it, though. And, it annoys me when I have to pay large breakdown cover premiums and drive past lots of people on the hard shoulder getting the tyre changed by the AA man. Come on, it's just a flat tyre!

And, it annoys me when I have to pay large breakdown cover premiums and drive past lots of people on the hard shoulder getting the tyre changed by the AA man. Come on, it's just a flat tyre!

I agree: I think there should be two subscription rates for breakdown services. The lower rate would exclude breakdowns that are fixable (at least to the point of being able to get home) by the roadside for a competent DIY-er, or which no competent motorist should allow to happen, e.g. tyres and running out of fuel. The higher rate would include everything. The danger would be that people go for the lower rate to save money, but the way you deal with that is by charging, say, a £200 call-out fee if you have the cheaper subscription and have an excluded breakdown.

To be honest I would still probably go for the more expensive subscription: on the one and only occasion I had to change a wheel by the roadside I was on my way home from an important meeting, and wrote off a £200 suit in the process of doing so. But the option should be there.

To be honest I would still probably go for the more expensive subscription: on the one and only occasion I had to change a wheel by the roadside I was on my way home from an important meeting, and wrote off a £200 suit in the process of doing so. But the option should be there.

er... one rubber goes on the wheel, the other goes on your body.... spot the difference :lol::lol:

I can understand messing up a shirt, but a whole suit? What do you drive, a HGV?

It was more a case of where and when than what. The blowout happened on a B-road in the middle of the North York Moors during a torrential downpour.

Bet you wished that one time, just once, that you were on BMW run-flat tyres. ;)

My worst one was in 4 inches of snow. I think I got a bit of frostbite from handling all that cold metal. Since then I added a pair of work gloves to the boot.

I do always keep (cheap) full rain and cold gear in the boot for such occasions, really handy.

Problem with a lot of new cars is they don't even come with a spare wheel, they just get some tyre foam. So if you get a blowout and the tyre shreds your have no choice but to call the breakdown recovery vehicle as no amount of foam can replace a shredded tyre.

Not sure if its true or not but I heard once you use the tyre foam you have to get a whole new tyre and it cannot just be repaired in the normal way. So damned if you do damned if you dont.

Problem with a lot of new cars is they don't even come with a spare wheel, they just get some tyre foam. So if you get a blowout and the tyre shreds your have no choice but to call the breakdown recovery vehicle as no amount of foam can replace a shredded tyre.

Not sure if its true or not but I heard once you use the tyre foam you have to get a whole new tyre and it cannot just be repaired in the normal way. So damned if you do damned if you dont.

DYOR DYOR DYOR But I know that many don't. They just listen to the salesperson bullkaka, rather than think. Hence my grumbling. :(

p.s. yes, most foam mucks up the inside of the tyre and wheel.