House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

4,500 'mickey Mouse' Courses To Face The Axe... Including The 'gcse' In Claiming Benefits

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016995/Michael-Gove-4-500-Mickey-Mouse-courses-face-axe.html

For example an NVQ level 2 in hairdressing is worth the equivalent of six GCSEs, but students never cut hair because health and safety regulations ban the use of scissors.

In a major shake-up, pupils will still be allowed to take the qualifications but they will no longer count towards league tables.

There are more than 4,800 GCSEs, NVQs, BTECs and other qualifications for 14 to 16-year-olds. Some 4,500 ‘soft courses’ are expected to be excluded.

Can anyone confirm if that's true that children can't use scissors? Does this mean that in woodwork pupils can't use saws etc.... In maths no one can use a compass?

At school i watched someone get 3rd degree burns after an idiot put an oxy-acetalyne blowtorch to his hand during a metalworks class.

Health and safety has a place but no matter how much you drill it into some people they just don't care , the consequences are not great enough for them to worry if something does go wrong , in most circumstances.

To state scissors are a H&S issue is bizarre in the first place regardless.

A hairdressing NVQ is the same as four GCSEs? Really?
For example an NVQ level 2 in hairdressing is worth the equivalent ofsix GCSEs

Must try harder.

In my day you had to fail six GCEs to become a hairdresser.

It's the fact that these are deemed to be the equivalent of multiple GCSEs that is the scandal here. A hairdressing NVQ is the same as four GCSEs? Really?

I was trying to look up what the course consisted of.

All the Hair and Beauty qualifications on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) expired in July 2010. They have been replaced by new Hair and Beauty qualifications which will be available for delivery from 1 August 2010 on the new Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).

Sounds like someone was being paid nice money to redesign the entire structure of it all.

I don't think saying an NVQ in a skilled base subject is a major problem.

What I do object to is PE being a bloody GCSE! And that you can get 2 of them for just doing games and a bit of coursework.

NVQ level 2

On the level 2 course, you will learn the basic skills to become a capable hairdresser. An NVQ Level 2 is the national requirement for being a registered and a qualified hairdresser.

Developing Hair cutting techniques

Hair colouring with an array of techniques

Blow drying

Hair perming procedures

Hair setting

Shampooing and conditioning

Health and safety procedures

Working the reception

Working as part of a team Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp

So what is level 1? Deciding you want to be one?

NVQ level 1

• Assisting hair stylists

• Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp

• Reception duties

• Removing colours from the hair

• Neutralising hair

• Health and safety regulations

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016995/Michael-Gove-4-500-Mickey-Mouse-courses-face-axe.html

Can anyone confirm if that's true that children can't use scissors? Does this mean that in woodwork pupils can't use saws etc.... In maths no one can use a compass?

Just to clarify - Health and Safety Regulations do not ban the use of scissors in schools. If it is true It will have been some tw@t in the education dept who doesn't understand reasonable and measured risk. Alternatively its just Daily Shyte bull <_<

I assume that's what you mean?

I'm keeping my North and South shut.

A hairdressing NVQ is the same as four GCSEs? Really?

I cut my own hair with a Wahl trimmer. Does that mean that I'm smarter than I thought I was?

In my day you had to fail six GCEs to become a hairdresser.

:lol:

Just to clarify - Health and Safety Regulations do not ban the use of scissors in schools. If it is true It will have been some tw@t in the education dept who doesn't understand reasonable and measured risk. Alternatively its just Daily Shyte bull <_<

Had somebody phone into the radio this am who had just finished it.

They use scissors throughout. Start with real hair on a dummy, then cut each others, then by the end offering cheaply-priced haircuts to the public in the same way that catering students do cheap meals once a week.

Why wreck a story that is basically excellent news with a made up bit of tosh?

Had somebody phone into the radio this am who had just finished it.

They use scissors throughout. Start with real hair on a dummy, then cut each others, then by the end offering cheaply-priced haircuts to the public in the same way that catering students do cheap meals once a week.

Why wreck a story that is basically excellent news with a made up bit of tosh?

I am not so sure scraping these courses wholesale is such a good thing.

I actually think these courses are useful in that some kids are simply turned off and not interested in academic studies. Why not at 14 allow those who dont have an academic leaning start learning something that will actually help them in the workplace. Hairdressing and childcare are both vocational skills where there is a definite demand for those skills.

I am not so sure scraping these courses wholesale is such a good thing.

I actually think these courses are useful in that some kids are simply turned off and not interested in academic studies. Why not at 14 allow those who dont have an academic leaning start learning something that will actually help them in the workplace. Hairdressing and childcare are both vocational skills where there is a definite demand for those skills.

Yes, it's not the courses themselves that are the problem. Doing a course on hairdressing seems a sensible thing to do if you're considering a career in that area.

The problem is that schools are using them to bump up their scores on league tables. 20 kids passing one of these courses is equivalent to 20 kids passing GCSE maths, english, science, history, geography and french.

Gove should have just changed the league tables criteria (which he has done), no need really to scrap the courses if people want to take them.

Yes, it's not the courses themselves that are the problem. Doing a course on hairdressing seems a sensible thing to do if you're considering a career in that area.

The problem is that schools are using them to bump up their scores on league tables. 20 kids passing one of these courses is equivalent to 20 kids passing GCSE maths, english, science, history, geography and french.

Gove should have just changed the league tables criteria (which he has done), no need really to scrap the courses if people want to take them.

I'm reading the scrapping as once the perverse incentive to take these courses (worth way more on league tables than they should be) is gone, there aren't actually that many people that want to be hairdressers.

Surfing & Beach Management Degree at Swansea Metropolitan University.

It is planned to take students on a number of field studies to significant international surfing/tourist destinations These locations act as natural laboratories in which to study the impacts of surfing on the local environment, economy and culture.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/surfing/sites/features/pages/swansea_institute.shtml