House Price Crash Forum

Which Is Great

HOLA441

They are reviewing tomorrow's papers now on Sky News.

The presenter read through the headlines ending on a headline in the Daily Express stating that there is mortgage joy for house owners as rates are going to be frozen for 3 years and bad news for savers... to which she said:

"Which is great!"

There you go.

HOLA442

The presenter read through the headlines ending on a headline in the Daily Express stating that there is mortgage joy for house owners as rates are going to be frozen for 3 years and bad news for savers... to which she said:

"Which is great!"

There you go.

Which presenter was that?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

"Which is great!"

There you go.

Who could possibly imagine such a thing in this honourable ethical and completely unbiased private sector broadcaster?

Nope, I won't believe it. It must all be a lie put about by lying lefties. ;)

HOLA4410

"Which is great!"

There you go.

Similar reaction on Talk Sport this morning too.

They said it was good news, especially for mortgage holders, then they even went as far as saying "perhaps house prices will go up again now?".

And then they all agreed that we needed banks to lend more. :rolleyes:

HOLA4411

I've seen this headline and heard it talked about, but no one is saying why they make this claim. Who is saying rates not to rise for 3 years. Hpc ers may deride it, but look at japan, they had low and zero rates for years also! The answer to this is crucial for me right at this moment. Thanks.

HOLA4412

That's because 'We' dont exist. In the world of the MSM. The 2-3 million 'other' taxpayers. The 'Priced Out' Generations.

HG Wells wrote about this in his 1895 Novel 'The Time Machine'

The Eloi are the child-like, frail group, living a banal life of ease on the surface of the earth, while the Morlocks live underground, tending machinery and providing food, clothing and infrastructure for the Eloi. Each class evolved and degenerated from humans.

HOLA4413

I've seen this headline and heard it talked about, but no one is saying why they make this claim. Who is saying rates not to rise for 3 years. Hpc ers may deride it, but look at japan, they had low and zero rates for years also! The answer to this is crucial for me right at this moment. Thanks.

...ignore what they say...they're only trying to sell papers....hard business to be in at the moment don't you know. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

dontcha know you need shedloads of debt and mew to live the luvvie lifestyle

I watched both the sky and BBC paper reviews last night, the BBC guest was very bearish and took the proverbial out of the express asking:

"Where the picture of Madeline or Diana had gone? You can't have an express frontpage without a house price rises are good story and a story about one of the others. The express seem a little bit out of touch with reality, while most newspapers focus on the phone hacking on their front pages there are other stories probably more worthy of the front page such as famine in east africa or the eurozone crisis yet the express chose as non-story about price rises, i guess that is just saying something about the only thing that matters express readers":lol:

It didn't realise the HPC stereotype of the express was so wide spread.

The guests (guardian and LBC) on sky were much better than the presenter especially the guy from LBC (the same guy from one of the other threads). Hew said it was bad headline and the analysis behind the story was a load of bull - he pointed out that what they meant was IR have will be flat for 3 yrs total (i.e rise in November) rather tahn they will be flat for 3 years into the future which is what the headline portrayed...

HOLA4416

That's because 'We' dont exist. In the world of the MSM. The 2-3 million 'other' taxpayers. The 'Priced Out' Generations.

The Eloi are the child-like, frail group, living a banal life of ease on the surface of the earth, while the Morlocks live underground, tending machinery and providing food, clothing and infrastructure for the Eloi. Each class evolved and degenerated from humans.

HG Wells wrote about this in his 1895 Novel 'The Time Machine'

BTL self build slave box flats of the future (evolved to be safe from baliff predators) ...

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4417

google is your mother and your father

http://www.express.c...sts/view/260173

On reading it, the article is quite balanced. The headline is completely detached and clearly drafted by someone else.

Anyway - it seems the answer to your question specifically is ....

I believe that is Bootle's lot who are pretty good I think.

The LBC guy on sky last night pointed out the difference between the article and headline too.

Capital economics is indeed Roger Bootle's lot. Was at Uni with Vicky she is very good, careful and analysis done with sceptical mind, not a die hard HPCer by philosophy just has the belief than Wily E Coyote can't defy gravity for ever. She spend a couple of years at the BoE so knows how they think...

That is a big change in point of view from Capital in the last 2 months though.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Who could possibly imagine such a thing in this honourable ethical and completely unbiased private sector broadcaster?

Nope, I won't believe it. It must all be a lie put about by lying lefties. ;)

Maybe! But get this - just think - if I don't want to watch again, I'm not forced to pay for it!

I won't get threatening letters and people implying right of access to my home turning up on the doorstep! But you don't want to acknowledge that little difference, do you? Force the little people to pay for their own 'education', eh comrade?

In answer to the OP, she could not have been as bad as Julia Ceasar was on the BBC. Huge beaming grin every time she reported house prices going up.

HOLA4420

2014 is a long time....keeping rates low at the moment is not a bad thing...but anything can happen...the BoE are not in control of outside forces.

One factor that could change the committee’s mind is if workers start to ask for bigger wage rises, and set off an inflationary pay spiral.

Wishful thinking then....inflationary wage increases have to be kept low for interest rates to stay low. :rolleyes:

HOLA4421

On a 25 year mortgage at the long term average of 6% you pay 92% mortgage interest.

At the start of 1996 when the average house price was £59,652, the interest is £54,880, total repayment £114,532

May 2011 the average price is £161,823, the interest is £148,877, total repayment £310,700

That's an interest increase of £93,997 that goes to banks who are taking £14bn in bonuses this year.

Those who are unaware they are walking in darkness will never seek the light.

HOLA4422

On a 25 year mortgage at the long term average of 6% you pay 92% mortgage interest.

At the start of 1996 when the average house price was £59,652, the interest is £54,880, total repayment £114,532

May 2011 the average price is £161,823, the interest is £148,877, total repayment £310,700

That's an interest increase of £93,997 that goes to banks who are taking £14bn in bonuses this year.

Those who are unaware they are walking in darkness will never seek the light.

Please stop doing sums and working stuff out. The housing market (UK economy) requires total ignorance from FTB's to keep it from crashing. You wouldn't want to be responsible for that would you?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Indeed, look at Japan. The Yen has gone from 139 to 127 against the Gbp over the past year and without more nuclear meltdowns/earthquakes it's likely to do much better over the coming year.(Btw, the Japanese Government is financed almost entirely by local money whereas the UK has to borrow 30% or so from abroad)

Hopefully from my point of view this low interest situation will continue for another 3 years.