House Price Crash Forum

Modern Engineering...

HOLA441

Things are meant to evolve and get better over time but it seems that the makers of car windscreens haven't kept up.

According to the Autoglass adverts ANYTHING that you do in your car can make the windscreen shatter...into one million pieces!

Close your door...windscreen gone!

Driver over an ant...windscreen gone!

Turn on the air con...windscreen gone!

Sneeze whilst going round a left hand bend...windscreen gone!

The best thing is though that they can either fix it before OR after, so that's good.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I've had a chip in my winscreen for the past couple of years but it is too small to fixed according to autoglass... it needs to be drilled out first... Ive waited and waited and the chip hasn't got any bigger :(

HOLA444

If they said "this chip will stay as it is for years and years and years, so don't bother having it repaired..." they'd go out of business.

Have you not sussed advertising yet?

It's designed to make you buy shit you don't need, don't want and don't have any use for.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

My windscreen currently has 4 chips, one of which was on the windscreen when I bought the car 6 years ago. When I was up to 2 chips, I took it to RAC windscreens, who advised me to leave them as fixing them may weaken the windscreen. Still going strong, though admittedly there's very little no high speed driving on the Isle of Wight, and I rarely take the car to the mainland.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

If they said "this chip will stay as it is for years and years and years, so don't bother having it repaired..." they'd go out of business.

It's designed to make you buy shit you don't need, don't want and don't have any use for.

isn't that lieing though

i dont like liars

HOLA4411

I've sussed it and don't fall for it, I think that is the thing!

I'm no scrooge but don't like the idea of simply buying things for the sake of it.

HOLA4412

I've had a chip in my winscreen for the past couple of years but it is too small to fixed according to autoglass... it needs to be drilled out first... Ive waited and waited and the chip hasn't got any bigger :(

I had one on the windscreen of the last car that I owned, the thing was that it was right were the tax disc is positioned, so in my mind it didn't exist!

It never went pop!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

What annoys me is the end of the ad bit where some burd says:

"And what's more, most insurers recommend Autoglass, so you don't have to call them first, just call us".

I've used many insurers for my car over the last few years, and most of them specifically recommend not calling Autoglass!!!

Edit: And also, in the small print, the insurer will charge you a higher excess if you call Autoglass rather than their preferred windscreen co!! Says it all, really, doesn't it?

Archived