House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Graphic Card Gotcha, Advice Needed

So just over a year ago (would be, typical) I got a new PC from Mesh. Can't fault it, very good, arrived months late though but that's another story. I went pre-built because I couldn't be bothered setting it all up getting all the components, working out the cooling etc. I got two very expensive graphics cards with it for gaming. Big mistake.

So just over a year on, one of the graphics cards (Radeon) fans has started to make an horrendous noise. I tried everything to fix, basically it's not a user-servicable error that I can see. No problem, because the cards have 3 year warranty. S*it I bought them (OEM?) prebuilt with the Mesh which only has a one year warranty. What I should have done was ordered a computer with no graphics cards or the cheapest one if that wasn't possible and bought the two Radeons seperate and received 3 year warranty which would have been easier.

My question: Can I still use the 3 year warranty even though Mesh installed them. They seemed to think so. Anyone been down this road before?

EU Consumer Law will give you 2 years.

Up to five I thought? (With the length decided by how long the product is expected to last)

EU Consumer Law will give you 2 years.

Ta, so I just mail Radeon (not Mesh?) and they should send out a new one?

So just over a year ago (would be, typical) I got a new PC from Mesh. Can't fault it, very good, arrived months late though but that's another story. I went pre-built because I couldn't be bothered setting it all up getting all the components, working out the cooling etc. I got two very expensive graphics cards with it for gaming. Big mistake.

So just over a year on, one of the graphics cards (Radeon) fans has started to make an horrendous noise. I tried everything to fix, basically it's not a user-servicable error that I can see. No problem, because the cards have 3 year warranty. S*it I bought them (OEM?) prebuilt with the Mesh which only has a one year warranty. What I should have done was ordered a computer with no graphics cards or the cheapest one if that wasn't possible and bought the two Radeons seperate and received 3 year warranty which would have been easier.

My question: Can I still use the 3 year warranty even though Mesh installed them. They seemed to think so. Anyone been down this road before?

Did you physically look at the fans? I had a problem recently with an 18 month old graphics card where the fan was running all the time and was making a noise (the PC was previously silent).

There was a metal plate ducting the air flow across some fins to the fan. When I removed it (tiny screws - need jewellers screwdriver) it was just totally bunged up with fluff. Vacuumed it all out and it went silent again.

Ta, so I just mail Radeon (not Mesh?) and they should send out a new one?

I had an issue with some memory in a PC that was prebuilt, went to the manufacturer and they sent out a tech he tested the memory, but as he was late he just left it running the following morning I found it had found a fault contacted the company to send them back out to replace. After several weeks and emails no sign of the tech coming back I emailed them and said send me the memory and I'll swap it.

Was meant to send the memory back, but they never organized it.

So I had the faulty memory I decided to contact the memory manufactured said the memory was faulty and they gave me a RMA number and I sent it back.

I think Radeon will just swap it for you.

Did you physically look at the fans? I had a problem recently with an 18 month old graphics card where the fan was running all the time and was making a noise (the PC was previously silent).

There was a metal plate ducting the air flow across some fins to the fan. When I removed it (tiny screws - need jewellers screwdriver) it was just totally bunged up with fluff. Vacuumed it all out and it went silent again.

Aye, a good blowing always helps.

Most radeons you can spend 20 quid and get an uprated fan + heatsinks for anyway if there's no joy from the rma side of things. Check out your standard computing etailers!

Interesting Post!

I visited Mesh at their Staples Corner/MI showroom about four years ago and ordered a top of the range computer from them.

When I turned it on it sounded like a hairdryer. The noise was obviously coming from the fan.

Went back to Mesh, they refused to turn the computer on, said it would have to be sent away for repair.

I asked them why they could not pop over the road to PC world, buy another fan and I would be satisfied with a quiet computer.

Again they refused, so I told them to refund my money there and then under the Sale of Goods Act.

Still refused so I said I would not leave the premises till I received a return note on the computer.

Eventually they caved in. The next day I returned the software. Again had to shout the odds to get a return receipt.

It the took another four weeks to get a full refund after they disputed my version of events and accused me of not returning all the original items.

Pain in the arxe company to deal with. My advice...Caveat Emptor...Let the buyer beware. :angry:

Cannot answer the question but MESH seem pretty incompetent to me.

A complete stranger, with the same Surname as me, ordered a PC, and MESH mixed up his surname with mine.

They then took about nine hundred pounds from my credit card account, and refused to believe or admit their mistake.

Ar5e 0les

Yea did the old hoover and blow job no joy. My computer is in a place that makes it a b*tch to get to and check out. As far as I recall the fans look quite built-in, I looked to see how you could remove them, looked involved with millions of screws. Didn't wanna feck up any warranty. I got frightened and aborted.

Cannot answer the question but MESH seem pretty incompetent to me.

A complete stranger, with the same Surname as me, ordered a PC, and MESH mixed up his surname with mine.

They then took about nine hundred pounds from my credit card account, and refused to believe or admit their mistake.

Ar5e 0les

At least you got it on time. Mine was three months late (yea three months, although the money was debited within 3 seconds). Some sort of worldwide shortage of the Radeon must-have graphic cards (they are sh*t hot though, Arma 2 looks freakin' awesome).