House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

What Was/is Your Longest Commute?

My longest commute was 3 hours each way door to door from the Isle of Wight to Paddington.:huh:

Methods of Transport:

• Car
  • Ferry
  • Bus
  • Train
  • Tube
  • Feet
  • Lift

Looking back, spending something like 30 hours a week commuting was madness. The job was well-paid, challenging, satisfying and appreciated.

What's your story?

For the past six years, my commute has been on foot, about ten metres from my bedroom to the office. I can do that in about ten seconds. Over a week that's almost a couple of minutes there and back. Prior to that I did have about a 35 minute drive to work, but through countryside with no traffic problems, so I used to enjoy the drive.

Hong Kong in the 1990s. Lived in Tai-O which is a village at the back end of nowhere on Lantau. This was before the road from north south was complete to link the south with the Tung Chung MTR.

It was waiting half an hour for a bus (one came every hour) which slowly went to Pui-O taking about half an hour.

Total time Lets say 30 minutes

You then had to wait for a ferry which took 15 minutes.

A ferry to Central Pier which took 60 minutes.

Total time 90 minutes

You then had to walk over to get the star ferry which was another 20 minutes.

Total time 110 minutes

Then you had to leg it to get to the KCR

Total time 115 minutes

The the KCR over to Sha tin which took 20 mins + 10 fighting your way out

Total time 145 minutes.

But then HK transport got a whole lot more integrated at the end of the 1990s.

My most recent commute of a long nature was working in Leeds while living in Bolton. It got badly clogged up and it was nigh on 2 hours each way.

In the early 00s I lived in Falmouth but worked in Crownhill/Swilly in Plymouth. 43 miles on paper. In reality it took 2 hours each way. I then became a better faster rider on a faster motorbike and managed it in much less time.

My usual commute is 45 minutes but then again i've never taken a job that would require me to tavel more than an hour each way on a normal day, as I like to have some sort of life outside of work, i'm too young to waste my life away sitting in traffic or on a bus traveling. Currently looking to move closer to work so I can cut the journey down to 30 mins. I would prefer to be able to walk to work within 30 minutes but its not possible as me and the girlfriend work in opposite directions so its impractical as one of us could walk but the other would have to travel for over an hour.

Although the longest single commute I had was when there was a crash on the motorway and nothing moved for 4 hours so had about a 5 hour journey time in total.

Although the longest single commute I had was when there was a crash on the motorway and nothing moved for 4 hours so had about a 5 hour journey time in total.

I managed 4 hours and 22 minutes from the University of Leeds to central York on 29 November 2010. It started snowing very heavily around mid-morning, in response to which I stupidly decided to head home immediately after my midday lecture. The problem was that the entire workforce of Leeds had the same idea. The first hour was spent on the slip road onto the A64. I then got off it and onto the Wetherby Road, and the second hour was spent crawling north towards the ring road. I eventually gave up around two miles short, and followed my nose through the back streets and residential roads around Roundhay Park. Once out of the city I had to go Harewood - Wetherby - B1224 to York. The rural stretch was second gear most of the way, such was the snow, ice and freezing fog that had accumulated by then. I remember the time because the 1pm news was just starting when I left the campus, and it was 5.22pm when I eventually put the car back into my garage.

I commuted from York to Middlesbrough in my last job - 48.3 miles and an hour in each direction in average traffic. Although my current commute is only 26 miles, the journey time is about the same, thanks to most of it being through the suburbs of York and Leeds.

About 45 minutes when I first started work and was staying with a handily-located relative until I found somewhere for myself. An hour sounds like too much; when I move out (landlord trying to sell, although "trying" is probably the word :) ) it could be quite a bit longer due to liking the look of a nice area that's traffic hell or train and bus. I've not yet decided if it's worth it (could drive it in half an hour with no traffic, but by road it could easily be 90 minutes or more in the rush hour).

Hong Kong in the 1990s. Lived in Tai-O which is a village at the back end of nowhere on Lantau. This was before the road from north south was complete to link the south with the Tung Chung MTR.

It was waiting half an hour for a bus (one came every hour) which slowly went to Pui-O taking about half an hour.

Total time Lets say 30 minutes

You then had to wait for a ferry which took 15 minutes.

A ferry to Central Pier which took 60 minutes.

Total time 90 minutes

You then had to walk over to get the star ferry which was another 20 minutes.

Total time 110 minutes

Then you had to leg it to get to the KCR

Total time 115 minutes

The the KCR over to Sha tin which took 20 mins + 10 fighting your way out

Total time 145 minutes.

But then HK transport got a whole lot more integrated at the end of the 1990s.

My most recent commute of a long nature was working in Leeds while living in Bolton. It got badly clogged up and it was nigh on 2 hours each way.

In the early 00s I lived in Falmouth but worked in Crownhill/Swilly in Plymouth. 43 miles on paper. In reality it took 2 hours each way. I then became a better faster rider on a faster motorbike and managed it in much less time.

Yeah, but with your luck you were usually robbed or struck by lightning on the way there and on the way back...

You forgot about midweek renters who might have a long commute Monday mornings and Friday evenings.

Yeah, but with your luck you were usually robbed or struck by lightning on the way there and on the way back...

If it was a good day

You forgot about midweek renters who might have a long commute Monday mornings and Friday evenings.

I used to be one of these - rented and worked in Bristol and commuted weekly from the IOW. Did it for 8 years.

My worst commute was my schooldays: about an hour each way on a truly horrible bus (got a motorbike in my final year, making a better journey even when we had a cold winter and I arrived with icicles growing from the eyebrows).

Longer in distance were my commutes to Swindon and Yeovil (two different jobs) from Bath. Swindon was simple (season ticket on the train), but Yeovil onna bike kept me fit. Nice feature about that commute was a halfway point: at Glastonbury, where I could fill up with good spring water from the same source all the hippies use.

The most interesting commutes were in Italy. There was the ride over a volcano, and there was - very briefly (about 1 month) - the journey that included the ferry across Lago Maggiore followed by a few miles on the bike.

If it was a good day

Our Ken were lucky he only had a 145 minute journey each way, being struck by lightening on the way to work and robbed and raped on the way home.

Swansea to Stockley Park.

Swansea to Bedfont Lakes.

Both the above are on either side of Heathrow airport.

Swansea to Woking.

Swansea to Huntingdon, Cambs - not daily admittedly, but weekly.

Swansea to Bath daily for 6 months.

My worst commute was my schooldays: about an hour each way on a truly horrible bus (got a motorbike in my final year, making a better journey even when we had a cold winter and I arrived with icicles growing from the eyebrows).

I'd forgotten about the school trip. It was about that on the way there (could be +/- 15 minutes, depending upon the traffic). Getting home took longer because there was no direct bus, so had about a mile to walk to the bus stop. I could've caught a bus from school to meet the one I ended up on further down the road but that usually meant zero chance of getting a seat. Then off to do a paper round when I got home. I'd often end up dozing off on the bus but somehow managed to never miss my stop.

The longest journey was when someone spotted a snowflake so the traffic ground to a halt (this was in Plymouth), and I didn't get back from school until after 7.

I'd forgotten about the school trip. It was about that on the way there (could be +/- 15 minutes, depending upon the traffic). Getting home took longer because there was no direct bus, so had about a mile to walk to the bus stop. I could've caught a bus from school to meet the one I ended up on further down the road but that usually meant zero chance of getting a seat. Then off to do a paper round when I got home. I'd often end up dozing off on the bus but somehow managed to never miss my stop.

The longest journey was when someone spotted a snowflake so the traffic ground to a halt (this was in Plymouth), and I didn't get back from school until after 7.

I used to walk the 2 miles to school with my best friend, who lived 2 doors away. Frequently our hair would be frosted in winter, but even more frequently we'd get soaked. Then we also got beaten up on the way home for wearing the uniform of a 'posh' protestant school. Yes, you've guessed it, I went to school in the west of Scotland.:ph34r: Almost as bad as Ken's HK commutes.:)