Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Job Opp Advice

Recommended Posts

I have a potential job opportunity which could see me 20% up on current salary.

I'm twitchy as have only been at my present company ~2 years (done good work, though!).

The only niggle with the current company is the pay, which should definitely be higher for somebody in my shoes. Everything else is perfect - short commute (thank heavens), great people, learning a LOT which is worth a fortune in itself. You can see my predicament. I've been told you have to move every now and then to get an increase in salary, but I am reluctant as it's the best job I've ever had and think I will have. At the same time, not moving is going to depress my market rate.. pay review couple of months ago didn't match how well I did in the performance review. Never voiced my concerns and the time for that is probably past (for another 10+ months) unless I broach the subject... and I *hate* broaching the subject of money at work. Fact is, living costs are soaring and my house savings could be vastly increased with more money.

Advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a potential job opportunity which could see me 20% up on current salary.

I'm twitchy as have only been at my present company ~2 years (done good work, though!).

The only niggle with the current company is the pay, which should definitely be higher for somebody in my shoes. Everything else is perfect - short commute (thank heavens), great people, learning a LOT which is worth a fortune in itself. You can see my predicament. I've been told you have to move every now and then to get an increase in salary, but I am reluctant as it's the best job I've ever had and think I will have. At the same time, not moving is going to depress my market rate.. pay review couple of months ago didn't match how well I did in the performance review. Never voiced my concerns and the time for that is probably past (for another 10+ months) unless I broach the subject... and I *hate* broaching the subject of money at work. Fact is, living costs are soaring and my house savings could be vastly increased with more money.

Advice?

Go to your boss and tell him that you'd rather stay with him for the reasons you cite, but you can't ignore such an increase in pay and so you'll stay if they can match it but otherwise would have to take the other offer. Handled properly, you might get the best result. Might need some sort of compromise - eg. 10% now, 10% in 6 months. Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20% sounds like a fair bit but you also mention that you like the short commute to your current job.

How much of that 20% will get eaten by additional travel costs for the other job?

I would have a chat with your boss, let him know that you have had the offer, need the money but love working for him and see what happens. At the very least it will let him know that you have options and they arent the best payers. It should also pave the way to something more reasonable at your next review if he doesnt pony up now and you choose to remain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the word 'potential' - I'm going through an agent (reputable) who says this is a strong possibility. Would you go through the process, get the offer and THEN negotiate (in turn probably hacking off other said company) or just reveal the situation as it is (and hope that the other job does pull through if things don't start happening)?

Commute: Right now it's a 15min drive from home (so I stay at home and save £££). This new one would be near town centre - worked close to their once and it means getting the bus every morning with a MUCH increased commute time - highly undesirable. Cost would be about the same but the commute would be awful - so much so that I'd probably consider moving out and renting, which really would set me back. You see the predicament.

Thanks for your advice so far!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have been at my current job 10 years in October.

Took it until "something better came along" after returning from living & working abroad.

9 months later they moved offices to within 1 mile of where I live.

I used to be quite underpaid compared to Hayes Review figures and other jobs advertised at the time and I had the conversation about moving on with my boss a few years back and it was a simple "we can't pay any more, if you want a significant payrise you'll have to go to another company".

The 5 minute commute counts for a lot and i'm pretty happy with my job and get plenty of exposure to new technology and training, just the money lets it down, so I stayed.

Though checking the job market recently i now seem to be paid about £10K more than anything else i've seen advertised. I think it looks a bit grim out there.

For me having the short commute (I cycle so I can get home for lunch) saves me money and time and you can't buy time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the word 'potential' - I'm going through an agent (reputable) who says this is a strong possibility. Would you go through the process, get the offer and THEN negotiate (in turn probably hacking off other said company) or just reveal the situation as it is (and hope that the other job does pull through if things don't start happening)?

Always, always, ALWAYS get the offer first before you go to your current boss. If he says he can't keep you and then you don't get this other job then you're left with the very uncomfortable position of having to beg for your old job back.

Commute: Right now it's a 15min drive from home (so I stay at home and save £££). This new one would be near town centre - worked close to their once and it means getting the bus every morning with a MUCH increased commute time - highly undesirable. Cost would be about the same but the commute would be awful - so much so that I'd probably consider moving out and renting, which really would set me back. You see the predicament.

Sounds like you don't particularly want the new job (or at least not in preference to the one you've got already) and you'd only be doing it for the money so get the offer first in order to negotiate. You can't negotiate if you don't have any bullets in your gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give your boss the chance to match the offer. If he won't, he's telling you what he thinks of you. Depart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to your boss and tell him that you'd rather stay with him for the reasons you cite, but you can't ignore such an increase in pay and so you'll stay if they can match it but otherwise would have to take the other offer. Handled properly, you might get the best result. Might need some sort of compromise - eg. 10% now, 10% in 6 months. Good luck.

+1

Never underestimate the stress of commuting - it sucks time out of your life that you can never get back. I have done 3 and 4 hour commutes each way and, frankly, I wish I had taken far less money, or had the opprtunity, to work closer to home.

1. Stress builds up over time and does kill many.

2. Whilst you are commuting you aren't doing the sutff you enjoy - jogging, cycling, walking, do whatever it is you enjoy, having nookie with the missus. It - the commuting - will exhaust you. Work out how many hours per year you would be commuting and it probably would end up being a few weeks of your life.

Plus you have the fuel costs of commuting.

Nope, as others have suggested go to your boss, be open and honest and see what the result is. Do it ASAP though as your boss will need time to think things through and, if you are not careful, you might find the other company pulls out whilst waiting. Worst case scenario - your boss needs a week or two to think things over and then tells you to pack your bags, in the meantime the other company hires someone else.

Finally, never ever unerestimate the importance of happiness and stress in your job situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, starting commuting recently (over hour each way) by car and I'm already getting that pain in my foot where it connects to my leg because of the car accelerator. If I keep this up it could be a permanent industrial injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that's what's good about my current job - next to no commute! It is absolutely heavenly and a major factor in my decision.

I've been given lots of interesting work and get on incredibly well with everybody - plus there is very little stress compared to my last job. I do believe you have to move every now and then, but at just two years, I think this would be a kick in the teeth for those that hired me who I get on well with. The agent has two potential jobs lined up but he hasn't got confirmation from me to allow my CV to be handed out - I would be mortified for anybody to find out I was even looking around.

I'll tell you what I'll probably do... whether I allow the CV to be distributed or not... I will likely wait until next pay review (10+months) and make a decision then. The issue of salary is a slowly burning hole which will widen much more by then. My father thinks I should be careful of jumping jobs too often, whereas the girlfriend thinks I should maximise my salary at every chance (in my best interests, I know how that sounds..).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the word 'potential' - I'm going through an agent (reputable) who says this is a strong possibility. Would you go through the process, get the offer and THEN negotiate (in turn probably hacking off other said company) or just reveal the situation as it is (and hope that the other job does pull through if things don't start happening)?

Standard agent line - I wouldn't put much stock in it.

It is not usual to play one job off against another other. Get an offer from the new company (keep in mind the agent's cut, other T&C like car/pension) and then go to the old boss in the window between getting the offer and accepting the job. That way no one get pissed off and you are covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There other thing ot bear in mind, in this economy, is how long you have been with your current employer. If you have been there over 2 years you will, at least, in theory get some payment if they sack you or they go bust.

Probably would not be much but it will be certainly be more than if you go to a new place.

In this current economic climate I think you have to weight up security of your job and viability of the company you work for very carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hold fire for now.

in the 'good' times agents regularly matched two people to each others respective jobs and relied on both employees to part company with their current roles. a small salary increment for you with amplified risks. A big fat 40% commission for the agent (2x20%). Chances are the role you are being put forward for there is a man sitting in his chair with similar issues.

If the job is genuine then questions need to be asked why the last man walked out, might be promotion/more money else where, might not.

Look you love your job - budget better and you won't need the pay rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hold fire for now.

in the 'good' times agents regularly matched two people to each others respective jobs and relied on both employees to part company with their current roles. a small salary increment for you with amplified risks. A big fat 40% commission for the agent (2x20%). Chances are the role you are being put forward for there is a man sitting in his chair with similar issues.

If the job is genuine then questions need to be asked why the last man walked out, might be promotion/more money else where, might not.

Look you love your job - budget better and you won't need the pay rise.

I was put forward for IT contract earlier this year in a Welsh public sector body - did some research and discovered the guy who origianly had the work had become ill from the stress of the job and his replacement had walked out after a month.

Job spec was 6 people in 1.

Money was great though :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was put forward for IT contract earlier this year in a Welsh public sector body - did some research and discovered the guy who originally had the work had become ill from the stress of the job and his replacement had walked out after a month.

Job spec was 6 people in 1.

Money was great though :rolleyes:

Sounnds pretty normal. I saw my old job advertised in the papers a few weeks ago. The job that drove me nuts, it was 3 jobs in one.

Also happily one of my old bosses had it explode in his face. He bullied the person who replaced me.... that person found where the bodies were buried and apparently told HMRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.

Spoke to a different (even more reputable, if you can believe that) recruiter who says the average jump in salary is likely less than was stated by previous recruiter. In any case he has advised me to stay where I am so that I get ~3 years on the CV and then consider a move if I still want to; I'm in a good business sector and will undoubtedly get another job paying more (quote!) if and when I move. Sort of goes with my gut feeling, let's see how it pans out. Thanks everybody.

EDIT - move abroad to Germany/Austria is also highly probably and I got lots of anecdotes... so the big move out of the cess-pit could actually go ahead!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 276 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.