House Price Crash Forum

Sarah Beeny..

HOLA441

Sarah Beeny forgot to apply for planning permission for her restoration nightmare

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/07/20/sarah-beeny-forgot-to-apply-for-planning-permission-for-her-restoration-nightmare-115875-23282901/#ixzz1SdU5Gcgq

SHE’S famous for dishing out harsh criticism to bungling builders, but now property guru Sarah Beeny is set to get a tongue-lashing herself.

The TV presenter forgot to apply for proper planning permission on her mansion she renovated for a TV programme – for TEN years.

The former convent featured on C4’s Beeny’s Restoration Nightmare where the property developer gave advice to viewers.

But Sarah and husband, Graham Swift, didn’t take their own advice – and have had to submit a ­retrospective application over their use of Rise Hall as a home.

Councillor Matthew Grove said: “The ordinary man in the street has to jump through hoops to get even the smallest extension approved.

“Yet here we have a listed building being changed, with no planning permission in place, and without anyone batting an eyelid.”

The couple bought Grade 2 listed Rise Hall near Hull for £441,101 in 2001 and the series last year showed part of the former convent being turned into a wedding venue.

On the venue’s website, Sarah says: “Rise Hall has been our family home for over 10 years and, hopefully, with money from wedding ceremonies, it can still be a family home.”

Mr Grove went on: “The programme showed the hall being used for weddings, yet we have yet to see a planning application to use it for that.

The couple – who had a run-in with the planning department last year over a new access road – said the hall had never had planning permission and had been a family home in the past.

They issued a statement saying: “When Graham Swift and Sarah Beeny bought Rise Hall it had stood empty for 10 years.

“It was originally a family home, then used as a convent and school and then once again became a home when Graham and Sarah bought it. In its 200-year history no planning permission for its use has ever been granted.

“Graham and Sarah are working with their local authority and the steps that they are taking together are entirely appropriate, considering the building’s past, present and potential future use.”

Fans will find out what happens when a second series of Restoration Nightmare, currently being filmed, is screened.

Naughty Sarah, not listening to her own advice.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I thought small extensions didn't need planning permission these days?

Permitted development is 15%

I think change of use is different though. Anything that alters the purpose of the house (from home to business) is important. They'll want business rates on it too.

http://www.2010.voa.gov.uk/rli/en/basic/find/valuation/2010/11641630000/8193033000

That's the local scout hut.

RISE HALL, RISE, HULL, HU11 5BL H RIS033981019

Council tax band H - so no business rates being paid on it.

http://www.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

Local authority

reference number Council Tax band Improvement indicator With effect

from Mixed use

property Court

code

RIS033981019 H 20/02/2001 No

That's where she's gone wrong.

HOLA444
HOLA445

here we have a council, sees a listed building changed before their very eyes, and does nothing.

Yet a man wants to build something on his own land, and they send in the SWAT teams.

Shows how much influence a nice rack can have.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Planning Officer; "I'm sorry Ms Beeney, you'll have to undo the restoration work, put Rise Hall back to the condition it was when you bought and put your planning application through the official lines, like everyone else."

Beeney: "ohh, pleeeeease!.....I'll let you touch these...."

La%2BBeeny.jpg

Planning Officer : "oh ok then."

*wobba-lobba-lobba*

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Permitted development is 15%

I realise that Beaney's case is about change of use rather than change of structure, but the councellor was referring to building extensions in his comment.

I read somewhere that for say terraced houses you could extend up to 3m from the rear without planning permission (they changed it a few years ago) It varies for the type of property, but I thought they'd removed a lot of the red tape for small extensions.

HOLA4413

I realise that Beaney's case is about change of use rather than change of structure, but the councellor was referring to building extensions in his comment.

I read somewhere that for say terraced houses you could extend up to 3m from the rear without planning permission (they changed it a few years ago) It varies for the type of property, but I thought they'd removed a lot of the red tape for small extensions.

I would have thought the change of use was the big thing though.

She's not paying business rates -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/PlanningPermission/DG_4018203

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions

Can't be bothered reading it - it's very dull.

Someone near us has slapped a horrible dormer on that didn't need PP but it's the most disgusting thing ever.

It's under construction on google streetview else I'd post a pic of it.

HOLA4414

I would have thought the change of use was the big thing though.

She's not paying business rates -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/PlanningPermission/DG_4018203

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions

Can't be bothered reading it - it's very dull.

Someone near us has slapped a horrible dormer on that didn't need PP but it's the most disgusting thing ever.

It's under construction on google streetview else I'd post a pic of it.

from the second link:

Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres beyond the rear wall for an attached house and four metres beyond the rear wall for a detached house.

Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.

Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres beyond the rear wall including ground floor.

So I think the councellor's coment was wrong because in fact you don't need planning permission for most small extensions (and yes I'm very bored at work)

HOLA4415

from the second link:

So I think the councellor's coment was wrong because in fact you don't need planning permission for most small extensions (and yes I'm very bored at work)

Nowt wrong with being bored at work. Saves you being bored in your own time. :)

I interpreted “Yet here we have a listed building being changed, with no planning permission in place, and without anyone batting an eyelid.”

as the change of use...

She would need listed building consent ... that's diff from PP and I haven't watched the show to see whether it's mentioned at all.

Mr Grove went on: “The programme showed the hall being used for weddings, yet we have yet to see a planning application to use it for that."

And that would be the change of use - and paying business rates on it.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA4416

For what it's worth rules for extensions without planning petmission vary from area to area. In sone places it's maximum of 30% of original garden area (excludes areas already used for sheds etc).

As mentioned, her problem is more likely change of use.

However there might be no real issue if the property has never had any usage exclusions previously specified. Which us what I think Sarah's reply suggests.

HOLA4417

Most of her work has been "restoration" not "development" so wouldn't require permission.

Also schools to wedding venue is probably not change of use - it's all "business". Plus the house has been a residence since before the planning act so it keeps that permission.

Of course, I've I known people who "restored" whole wings on a Grade II listed that had fallen into such "disrepair" that it was invisible to the naked eye. They were delighted the day Google updated their aerial image and the evidence of their "restoration" went away. ;)

At my advice they also extended their boundary fence to include land of unknown ownership; "some guy in Ireland who's probably dead" was the best they could establish. Two decades later, and no-one has noticed or complained (and it was a multi-acre land-grab!)

• 2 months later...
HOLA4418

Sarah Beeny considering selling mansion after planning row

TV property restoration guru Sarah Beeny is considering putting her grade II listed Yorkshire mansion up for sale in a row over planning. The TV star has been engulfed by a series of planning problems with East Riding Council over the development of Rise Hall, near Skirlaugh, East Yorks. Now, with the second series of Beeny's Restoration Nightmare about to begin, as she has revealed she could sell the historic building if the problems are not resolved.

Hmm. I wonder if she can 'afford to sell it' for a price someone else is prepared to pay.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I thought small extensions didn't need planning permission these days?

Not so long ago we got consulted about a planning application. Next-door-but-one had applied to put in a dormer window, so they could turn the loft into a loft room.

I was mildly surprised that that had required permission. No objection, just a quiet plea to ask their developers to spare us neighbours from the torture of a ghetto-blaster.

HOLA4421

Bit in the Yorkshire Posy about this.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at-a-glance/main-section/sarah_beeny_s_tv_restoration_hits_a_pile_of_trouble_1_3875498

Big, listed houses will bleed you to death.

I remember reading an article about Rob Hull years ago.

During his peak earning years - late 70s I think - he bought a stately home in the late 80s.

Property crashed. His TV crashed. He got divorced. Then a tax bill.

Ended up only being able to afford a crap cottage with a badly fitted tv aerial.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Planning Officer; "I'm sorry Ms Beeney, you'll have to undo the restoration work, put Rise Hall back to the condition it was when you bought and put your planning application through the official lines, like everyone else."

Beeney: "ohh, pleeeeease!.....I'll let you touch these...."

La%2BBeeny.jpg

[b]Planning Officer [/b]: "oh ok then."

*wobba-lobba-lobba*

Yeah, ten years ago maybe...... Bribing an officer....

Corrected.