House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Odd Virus

So my wife downloaded a torrent and opened a RAR file apparently without scanning it first... :rolleyes:

In the beginning no browsers would even open. I burnt a recovery disc on my PC and booted up her PC with it. After a system restore everything works. But firefox has a browser re-direct in it. Nothing has worked to clear it, including Hijack This etc etc.

But slightly more suspicious is the way the PC seems to be working over-time on something. The fan is whirring away all the time, and that usually only happens when a PC is overheating itself on some task. So I wonder what's going on behind the scenes?

Anyway.... <_<

So my wife downloaded a torrent and opened a RAR file apparently without scanning it first... :rolleyes:

In the beginning no browsers would even open. I burnt a recovery disc on my PC and booted up her PC with it. After a system restore everything works. But firefox has a browser re-direct in it. Nothing has worked to clear it, including Hijack This etc etc.

But slightly more suspicious is the way the PC seems to be working over-time on something. The fan is whirring away all the time, and that usually only happens when a PC is overheating itself on some task. So I wonder what's going on behind the scenes?

Anyway.... <_<

You'll get better advice on this than from me, but the first thing I would do would be to run task manager and see which process is burning your CPU.

Identifying this and google searching it might also guide you towards finding out what it is and how to remove it. Sounds like it might possibly be a relatively harmless schoolboy virus designed for DOS attacks or something similar.. but either way you don't really want it on your system.

Good luck..

Sounds like Google redirect virus (It's aTrojan). I had a problem with this and downloaded a fix from Mcaffee website which cleared it up.

sounds like your pc is doing some background proccessing...

Start Task Manager, and see if any proccess is hogging the CPU.. (thats if you can start the task manager most viruses disable that aswell)

your pc could be sending out spam emails (or perhaps generating worthless bit coins), or acting as an inbetween proxy for some other illegal activity...

sounds like your pc is doing some background proccessing...

Start Task Manager, and see if any proccess is hogging the CPU.. (thats if you can start the task manager most viruses disable that aswell)

your pc could be sending out spam emails (or perhaps generating worthless bit coins), or acting as an inbetween proxy for some other illegal activity...

Free version of Malwarebytes has helped me out in the past.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

As mentioned just reimage it. By the time you've posted/read all the replies on here Googled this and that, you could have reminaged/reinstalled everything.

Don't download torrents in future and you won't get the Feds on your case either.

As mentioned just reimage it. By the time you've posted/read all the replies on here Googled this and that, you could have reminaged/reinstalled everything.

Don't download torrents in future and you won't get the Feds on your case either.

+1

Also, and I'm sure you've done this, ensure your machine is disconnected from the internet while you "experiment" as the CPU could be sending out spam, or part of some botnet.

If the machine is powerful enough might be worth setting up a "disposable" virtual machine running XP for wifey and kids to use, with regular snapshots, so a dodgy file doesn't require a bare metal re-install due to a moment of error.

Anyway.... <_<

Surely just opening an RAR file can't download a virus?

Unless she ran something that was inside it.

Re-write the MBR, reformat the hard drive and start again. OK, the reinstallation will take a couple of hours, but that's cast iron guaranteed to get rid of it.

If you need to recover files from the hard drive, I'd suggest cloning it (e.g. with Clonezilla) to a USB hard drive of the same size or larger, then opening it up with the computer booted into a non-Windows OS (e.g. Ubuntu Live booted from an installation CD) to ensure that no Windows virus can run, and copying documents etc. off it from there onto a third volume (e.g. a USB flash stick). Once back in Windows, scan the contents immediately. Annoyingly, I don't know of any Ubuntu package that can scan files for Windows viruses.

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=ab9834ba004f38cec75e679675f8b8f7b2dff688a59cf7b4483744c8ae832956-1310029953

I had this on a PC and had to remove it.

You may need to go into save mode to remove the file.

http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/13251.html

If your happy using the command line try using this scanner.

However if could be you have a virus that isn't in any database yet so it could need a bit of hunting down. This one hid in the user profile.