House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Favourite Nation And/or Company For Your Hobbies

for me it's germany, particularly a company called WMF.

superb products, little high on price but will last a lifetime.

primarily cooking stuff.

interested to see if anyone promotes the uk. :unsure:

primarily cooking stuff.

Symbiosis skydive clothing based in Kent. High price suits last a life time, all hand made in the UK.

Thomas Sports Equipment based in Bridlington. They make the TSE superfly, they pioneered the freefly skydive equipment and the TSE is one of the better containers on the market. Their customer service is atrocious however.

Symbiosis skydive clothing based in Kent. High price suits last a life time, all hand made in the UK.

Which is what? Throwing youself out of an airplane about a half dozen times? :lol:

I like messing around with guitars. Playing, building and modding them.

Many parts tend to come from the US such as good pickups and strings although there are some uk companies. The popular mainstream guitars and amps tend to be manufactured in the US also .Fender, Gibson, Marshall etc although there are many different brands manufactured all over the world. The cheaper guitars and amps and many of the electrical components are made in China, Korea, Indonesia etc

I also do a bit of painting, mostly watercolour and much of the good quality paper such as bockingford and saunders is made in the uk as is most of the good quality paints (Windsor & Newton and Daler Rowney).

Festool woodworking tools, German.

There are almost no Uk manufacturers in this sector at all.

As for Windsor Newton.......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/royal-paint-firm-could-be-relocated-to-france-2025081.html

Royal paint firm 'could be relocated to France'

By Arifa Akbar, Arts Correspondent

Tuesday, 13 July 2010

The landscape painter JWM Turner was among the first of the great British artists to buy Winsor & Newton's silver tubes of coloured oil paints when the two men founded their art materials company nearly two centuries ago.

Browning B25 shotgun hand made in Belgium. Bought it ten years ago and have never been tempted to change it. My wife also shoots a B25 and we have a spare just in case.

Archery and more specifically field archery (essentially simulated hunting) is pretty much all US based.

My bow of choice is the A&H ACS-CX, I have had about 9 of them (I say about because there have been various combinations of limbs lengths and risers).

There is one major UK player in the market, Border Bows who do relatively well but personally I have never really taken to their bows.

Yo-yos.

Japanese manufacturers Yoyorecreation and Turning Point are regarded as the finest in the world by many.

People are stunned when they discover a quality high-end yo-yo made in Europe or the USA averages £60+, even more so that I'm happy to pay it. With the Jap stuff though, you can double that. It wasn't always so, but the exchange rate is a killer - it's certainly kept me at bay so far this year.

Works both ways though, the race is on to form the first boutique UK outfit.

Meanwhile the Chinese are starting to knock out top tier stuff at under £30... with distributors mark-up. Buy them direct for half that :P

primarily cooking stuff.

[/qu norway , camping on an island :o

primarily cooking stuff.

I would look to the UK for two very different hobby products.

High end HI Fi. I use Linn CD player and record deck and Quad amplification. Old but UK made and excellent.

Air rifles. My Air Arms TX200 is simply the best spring gun I have ever shot. We also own PCP guns from BSA, Daystate and Falcon. All made in the UK and world class products.

Archery and more specifically field archery (essentially simulated hunting) is pretty much all US based.

My bow of choice is the A&H ACS-CX, I have had about 9 of them (I say about because there have been various combinations of limbs lengths and risers).

There is one major UK player in the market, Border Bows who do relatively well but personally I have never really taken to their bows.

I bought a recurve bow online from a US based manufacturer expecting to get a product made in USA , when it arrived it was actually made in Italy.Also South korea makes alot of that stuff , they have a long history of it.

I've always raced Yokomo 1/10 electric RC cars. Superb Japanese quality, although the support form the U.K distrubuter is poor and parts are expensive when purchased in the UK/EU, ergo I always purchase from Japan often with a 50% saving.

I own a few older America manufactured vehicles which are also superb quality, the American manufactures mostly outsource their manufacturing to China now, with a resulting loss in quality.

Festool woodworking tools, German.

There are almost no Uk manufacturers in this sector at all.

Agree on Festool - thankfully I got most of mine a few years ago because it is staggeringly expensive now. There is still lots of nice stuff made in the UK - Clico make Forstner bits to die for....in Sheffield.

For larger scale "wood working" - Stihl, again, German.

Garage stuff - Snap-on, American. Their hand tools are fantastic, the other stuff is rebadged and so-so quality. Americans do seem to get "quality" - most high end US stuff is hugely overbuilt and will last forever.

If you need anything powered by a diesel engine - Lister, England. I've been rebuilding a few of theirs from the 70s (SR4, AVA1 if there are diesel geeks out there), and the engineering is a wonder to behold. They are already 40 years old and will go for another 40, assuming you can still get diesel for them.

If I was forced to choose a nation for hobbies, I'd have to choose the US. You can buy a thousand acres for peanuts, petrol is cheap, planning is easy and you can have big guns. Although the Germans make nice stuff, the regulation there would drive me nuts.

I make models. gunpla mainly

I only buy Bandai models. The kits are high quality and cheap so thats Japan

some of the tools i use are Tamiya Japan again

airbrush and paints are from an italian company i cant remember

other tools are from Draper. For my mechanical tools i only buy draper

i also have a dremel not sure where they are from