House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Articulated Lorries On B Roads

I was stuck behind an "artic" on a (otherwise very pleasant) long, twisty, B road. It's the type that has nice overhangs of trees creating that tunnel effect. Despite being clearly too big and lumbering for the road it was also hitting the top of the trees ripping off huge branches which apart from wrecking the view were dangerous to me travelling (some distance) behind. He stubbornly stayed for miles on the road until we reached the A road (rather than stick to the A roads).

Artics on B roads: stupid, should be illegal (see above) or stop moaning they pay road tax too?

Hgv drivers should have a specific hgc 'crap nav' fitted in the cab by law like a tacho imo.

I would also like to see laws controlling the times that they can be on certain roads and motorways like there are on the continent.

Any dumb ass that gets stuck under a low bridge should be executed at the side of the road and his load scavenged by the locals :D

I was stuck behind an "artic" on a (otherwise very pleasant) long, twisty, B road. It's the type that has nice overhangs of trees creating that tunnel effect. Despite being clearly too big and lumbering for the road it was also hitting the top of the trees ripping off huge branches which apart from wrecking the view were dangerous to me travelling (some distance) behind. He stubbornly stayed for miles on the road until we reached the A road (rather than stick to the A roads).

Artics on B roads: stupid, should be illegal (see above) or stop moaning they pay road tax too?

Nothing illegal about artic's on B-roads, but if he was causing a danger to other road users by covering the road in "huge branches", then he/she's breaking the law. Was there an 0800-FOOK-U-UP number on it? These work usually.

They pay a lot more road tax.

Bear in mind, they wouldn't speed things up much more by being on an A-road unless it's a dual carriageway.

HGV max legal speed on A-roads is only 40mph - about the same speed (or less than) many modern agricultural tractors would go.

Luckliy for car drivers most lorry drivers ignore it and drive at pretty much the maximum of 56mph.

I get a bit fed up with people moaning about trucks who seems to think food gets from the farm to their kitchen cupboard by magic.

I take an artic out, every now and then, for fun and I'd happily go down any road there wasn't a weight/width/height restriction if it saved time or fuel and to be fair collections/drops can often be in all sorts of places. We've got stores where the delivery access is via some housing estate and you'll have the residents moaning about the noise at night or out taking pictures of drivers reversing - which has only become a problem because they've parked their cars in stupid places.

Once went through a residential street to access a service yard and residents came out and ranted on at me - assuming I was some regular truck driver.

I'd been sent down that road by the Police who'd closed the main road because of an accident. Subsequently, though, I've had traffic alter the driver's map to that store to send every truck down their street now. :lol:

They pay a lot more road tax.

Bear in mind, they wouldn't speed things up much more by being on an A-road unless it's a dual carriageway.

HGV max legal speed on A-roads is only 40mph - about the same speed (or less than) many modern agricultural tractors would go.

Luckliy for car drivers most lorry drivers ignore it and drive at pretty much the maximum of 56mph.

I get a bit fed up with people moaning about trucks who seems to think food gets from the farm to their kitchen cupboard by magic.

I take an artic out, every now and then, for fun and I'd happily go down any road there wasn't a weight/width/height restriction if it saved time or fuel and to be fair collections/drops can often be in all sorts of places. We've got stores where the delivery access is via some housing estate and you'll have the residents moaning about the noise at night or out taking pictures of drivers reversing - which has only become a problem because they've parked their cars in stupid places.

Once went through a residential street to access a service yard and residents came out and ranted on at me - assuming I was some regular truck driver.

I'd been sent down that road by the Police who'd closed the main road because of an accident. Subsequently, though, I've had traffic alter the driver's map to that store to send every truck down their street now. :lol:

Ahh good, I was waiting for a trucker to give me the alternatie view. If he was going down the B road to deliver something I wouldn't really have a problem with it, but he was going down an unsuitable road because it was a bit shorter than using the main A road which he promptly rejoined. I think this road should have a restriction on it and I'll email the Council as in all honesty that's the only way it will ever change. I think if he was on an A road, certainly the one he should have taken imo, there would have been plenty of places to overtake. On this loooong B road, there wasn't one place. He would've known this I'm sure. The tree overhangs made it unsuitable.

To answer a point above he didn't have a "hows my driving" number and his numberplate wasn't clear (first digits couldn't be read). Now that is illegal.

Ahh good, I was waiting for a trucker to give me the alternatie view. If he was going down the B road to deliver something I wouldn't really have a problem with it, but he was going down an unsuitable road because it was a bit shorter than using the main A road which he promptly rejoined. I think this road should have a restriction on it and I'll email the Council as in all honesty that's the only way it will ever change. I think if he was on an A road, certainly the one he should have taken imo, there would have been plenty of places to overtake. On this loooong B road, there wasn't one place. He would've known this I'm sure. The tree overhangs made it unsuitable.

To answer a point above he didn't have a "hows my driving" number and his numberplate wasn't clear (first digits couldn't be read). Now that is illegal.

Would have to know which road to be sure he was taking a short-cut but, it's not actually unusual for only very tall vehicles to be routed down some very narrow country lanes. Quite a few town centres around where you're allowed to cut through, instead of use the bypass, if you're over X m tall.

Unless it was an Irish or Eastern European truck I doubt there was anything dodgy with it as HGV operation is so heavily regulated in this country. The driver's not really at fault unless there's any specific restrictions - the absence of which are down to the county council.

For example, between Monmouth and Chepstow, in the Forest of Dean, there are height restrictions for trucks due to low overheard tree canopies - although as with a lot of these things I seem to recall they don't become apparent until it's too late to turn back.

Putting extra restrictions is OK but it generally just creates problems elsewhere as ultimately not every property/business is located immediately adjacent to an A-road and it just means other, previously quiet roads, become new rat runs.

Generally driven by total retards, who are texting and phoning on the move.

Was nearly killed by an artic a few weeks back, who chose to ignore a temporary (non functioning) set of traffic lights on B road and powered right through. Its a good job I was more cautious or I would not be typing this.

Should undergo full psychological testing before being let loose, and then monitored by remote control every second they are behind the wheel.

Artic drivers, are retards.

Also when I'm cycling, lost count of the times I've seen them texting.

Remind me of the 1950's film with William Hartnell and Stanley Baker.

I'll just point out at this stage that Injin and other libertarians/objectivists (:rolleyes: ) think there should be no regulation of artics or any other trucks on the roads whatsoever.

Are you sure they are arguing that the collective would have built any roads for them to be driven on?

Er good point. In that case, if there were no roads, the artics and other trucks would simply drive on land, countryside whatever they wished - no regulation remember. :P

I'll complain in general about artics when I stop wanting what they deliver. I'll complain about tractors when I want to stop eating. I'll complain about caravans.

Are you sure they are arguing that the collective would have built any roads for them to be driven on?

Surely the collective doesn't actually exist anyway, so how could it have built roads?

Yes, what idiot decided to put all of the farms down B roads?

Put the freight onto rail I say, train tracks into every field.

Yes, what idiot decided to put all of the farms down B roads?

Put the freight onto rail I say, train tracks into every field.

Grow the crops directly on those flat railway wagons. They can then be moved around to wherever the weather is best.

Nothing illegal about artic's on B-roads, but if he was causing a danger to other road users by covering the road in "huge branches", then he/she's breaking the law.

Only if the driver has ignored a height restriction sign, otherwise the fault lies with the local Council for failing to cut back branches in order to allow the 16' 6" of clearance they are obliged to provide.

And another thing.....why is it that artic drivers can't understand the concept of average speed cameras on the motorway?

And I wonder if they would drive ten foot from the car in front if the car driver was their girlfriend?

And another thing.....why is it that artic drivers can't understand the concept of average speed cameras on the motorway?

And I wonder if they would drive ten foot from the car in front if the car driver was their girlfriend?

If you would care to search the internet (I can't be bothered to do it for you), you would find that the Per Vehicle Kilometre accident rate for HGVs is around half of that for cars.

If you would care to search the internet (I can't be bothered to do it for you), you would find that the Per Vehicle Kilometre accident rate for HGVs is around half of that for cars.

Oh I am sure that's true. It's just that I spend a lot of my life on the motorway and when there are those fifty MPH average speed restrictions I often see lorry drivers right up the back of the cars. Why? Don't they get the concept? Why not just sit back and chill out and wait for the restriction to end?

Not having a dig, I just wondered if they actually don't get the concept of average speed cameras.

Oh I am sure that's true. It's just that I spend a lot of my life on the motorway and when there are those fifty MPH average speed restrictions I often see lorry drivers right up the back of the cars. Why? Don't they get the concept? Why not just sit back and chill out and wait for the restriction to end?

Not having a dig, I just wondered if they actually don't get the concept of average speed cameras.

Think its to do with momentum when you have such a heavy vehicle. It was best described by J.Clarkson "change gear, rape a prostitute, change gear, rape a prostitute, change gear again..."

Lorry drivers would rather cause a hideous multiple car pile up, than change gear (and waste fuel). Whether they would prefer to murder a prostitute is another matter.

I drove to Berlin recently... I noticed a lot less HGVs on the roads in France, Belgium and Germany than here. In fact in Germany the vast majority of HGVs were Polish, hardly any German lorries at all. I wonder what the Germans are doing differently? Making much better use of rail?

As such I was able to drive comfortably and safely at 100mph plus most of the way between Duesseldorf and Berlin.

Our roads are terribly clogged up.

I drove to Berlin recently... I noticed a lot less HGVs on the roads in France, Belgium and Germany than here. In fact in Germany the vast majority of HGVs were Polish, hardly any German lorries at all. I wonder what the Germans are doing differently? Making much better use of rail?

As such I was able to drive comfortably and safely at 100mph plus most of the way between Duesseldorf and Berlin.

Our roads are terribly clogged up.

As simple as less dense traffic due to less dense population?

As simple as less dense traffic due to less dense population?

Yes, in the UK there are 2,173 miles of motorway, in Germany there are 7,950 miles of motorway. More freight is moved by rail in Germany than in the UK where the loading gauge on most railways is insufficient to allow passage of standard shipping containers and transport distances are shorter.

Yes I agree, the country is a lot less dense and has a lot of motoway but there seemed to be hardly any lorries at all. Drive up one of our motorways and it's bumper to bumper with the buggers.

Yes I agree, the country is a lot less dense and has a lot of motoway but there seemed to be hardly any lorries at all. Drive up one of our motorways and it's bumper to bumper with the buggers.

Well, there's a simple solution, stop buying things. ;)