House Price Crash Forum
the_houser

Buying Bullion In London

Hi all,

I am in the UK for a few weeks and have been given a few thousand pounds as a gift, the problem is I can see inflation running at 4+ percent so I am wary of putting it in a bank account for 2% interest. Back in Australia I would be putting this money in precious metals but I want to keep it in pounds, so on that note I have a few questions...

• Is there somewhere good in London to buy silver bullion - ATS looks like they place but they are expensive
  • Say I wanted something more conservative can anyone recommend a bank account with decent interest?
  • Failing that are there any decent funds I should take a look at?

I am almost completely ignorant as to what investments are available on the UK market, and given I am here only a few weeks a year that is unlikely to change a lot in the short term - but if anyone would like to contribute to this post it would be most welcome!

For funds/ETFs I would suggest looking at Sprott Physical Silver Trust qouted under the ticker symbols in the USA (NYSE Arca) PSLV and in Canada (TSX) PHS.U you can buy these in a stocks and share ISA, so is very tax efficient.

There is also James Turk's well known and highly regarded goldmoney.com, where you can buy gold, silver, platinum and palladium and have in stored in high security vaults in a number countries. The metals are audited independently, stored by VIA MAT and you have title to your metals.

You can pop into Baird's, who have been in the bullion business since 1967 and are the UK's largest PM refiner, down at Beckton, East London, however, I would give them a call first. You can order online and have the items delivered which is the norm or you can collect in person.

Also if you want to buy silver bullion coins, government minted coins with a nominal face value you can buy these at 7% VAT in Europe. http://www.coininvestdirect.com/ has been used by many on here, including myself and they are very good bullion dealer.

Check the details here how to order at the lower European tax rate, which is 100% legal, if you collect in person or if you arrange a courier to collect on your behalf (UPS, Fedex, DHL etc.)

https://www.coininvestdirect.com/en/collection_in_germany.html

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

For funds/ETFs I would suggest looking at Sprott Physical Silver Trust qouted under the ticker symbols in the USA (NYSE Arca) PSLV and in Canada (TSX) PHS.U you can buy these in a stocks and share ISA, so is very tax efficient.

There is also James Turk's well known and highly regarded goldmoney.com, where you can buy gold, silver, platinum and palladium and have in stored in high security vaults in a number countries. The metals are audited independently, stored by VIA MAT and you have title to your metals.

You can pop into Baird's, who have been in the bullion business since 1967 and are the UK's largest PM refiner, down at Beckton, East London, however, I would give them a call first. You can order online and have the items delivered which is the norm or you can collect in person.

Also if you want to buy silver bullion coins, government minted coins with a nominal face value you can buy these at 7% VAT in Europe. http://www.coininvestdirect.com/ has been used by many on here, including myself and they are very good bullion dealer.

Check the details here how to order at the lower European tax rate, which is 100% legal, if you collect in person or if you arrange a courier to collect on your behalf (UPS, Fedex, DHL etc.)

https://www.coininve...in_germany.html

all those are too expensive once you take into account transport costs

autrading kill the market with there cheap rates.