House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

guitarman001

Consequence, Risk, Farce

So tired of this NoTW story now but with a completely general outburst I have to say...

-This whistleblower found dead, too much of a coincidence

-The head honchos are going to get away with it - the committee grilling them is tame

-Listening to Brooks right now with her timid voice, it just smacks of playing nice

-Head cops and the like quitting their jobs, something to hide - they'll never have justice thrust upon them

Basically everybody at the top of every sleazy money and power game seems to get away with just about everything. Reckless lending during the boom but very few fraud arrests, MPs expenses were a disgrace yet very few arrests, the list goes on. What it goes to show is that the higher you get, the less consequence there is. If this were the 'common man' then he'd be banged up faster than you could say 'crikey'. Laws? Morals? Responsibility? I p*ss on them all, and so should everybody else - it's all a farce.

Perhaps, as Micheal Corleone realizes in Godfather III, the higher up you go, the more corrupt it gets. :ph34r:

My hope is that the internet, providing as it does direct mass communication by ordinary decent people, will enable us first to understand and then to supercede the present debt and propaganda control mechanisms.

Basically everybody at the top of every sleazy money and power game seems to get away with just about everything. Reckless lending during the boom but very few fraud arrests, MPs expenses were a disgrace yet very few arrests, the list goes on. What it goes to show is that the higher you get, the less consequence there is. If this were the 'common man' then he'd be banged up faster than you could say 'crikey'. Laws? Morals? Responsibility? I p*ss on them all, and so should everybody else - it's all a farce.

Sorry GM.. I find it hard to share your passion.

It is a farce (in so far as it's a media circus), but is it really that big a deal that a couple of journalists guessed a few people's voicemail passwords? It's like everyone being shocked at a member of the Paparazzi being found shooting pictures out of a dustbin.

Low and pathetic but hardly worth the fuss they're making. It's probably a good thing that they've crapped all over news corp just because they were too influential in UK politics, but as for the rest of it I'm just bored to the back teeth.

I'd rather hear about the Euro monetary crisis and some in-depth analysis about who's to blame for that.....

There is hope.

Hong Kong was one of the most corrupt places on earth. Cops would be the extortionists bribes were normally paid everywhere.

It came to a head when the cheif of police was taking bribes from gangsters. He fled the country and was caught.

The ICAC was just as corrupt it was called I can accept cash. When started in 1973.

There was a massive purge at the end of the 1970s and the early 1980s literally ICAC offices kicking down doors and offering amnesties THEN reneging on the plea bargains made with bent cops. Lots of cops and civil servants went to prison.

Most famously fairly recently was when Donald Tsang's brother tried to suggest using his company to supply eco light bulbs. The press absolutely pilloried him for this and there were mass arrests even though no money changed hands.

The difference is though HK people are willing to riot and spill blood their own and others to get a point across and to get change. Brits? I'm not so sure of.