House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

£1,000 Fine If You're Slow Bringing Your Empty Bins In

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016224/1-000-fine-leaving-bins-Bedford-council.html

Householders have been threatened with £1,000 fines if they leave their wheelie bins out for too long.

The Bedford fines are more than 12 times greater than the on-the-spot penalties routinely handed out to shoplifters.

The letters distributed among the 65,000 homes in the borough say that anyone who fails to take their bin back in within 24 hours of their rubbish collection will be liable for the fine. The threat provoked a furious response in the town.

Anyone would think councils are desperate for cash.

So it would appear leaving your bin out is 12 worse than shop lifting.

Can't wait for bin snoopers to come around before the bin men to ensure you aren't throwing away the wrong rubbish and going on holiday will be an issue now.

Not like the good old days of employing binmen to collect your bin and empty it and then return it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016224/1-000-fine-leaving-bins-Bedford-council.html

Can't wait for bin snoopers to come around before the bin men to ensure you aren't throwing away the wrong rubbish and going on holiday will be an issue now.

Not like the good old days of employing binmen to collect your bin and empty it and then return it.

You really, really need to stop reading that rag. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail...rd-council.html

Against what offence do they intend serving this fine - what statute has been broken?

Against what offence do they intend serving this fine - what statute has been broken?

Part II of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. However I imagine to convince a beak of the need to bring the matter before the court the Council would have to have a reasonable body of evidence to support its case - the defendant persistent in leaving bins out, complaints from neighbours, attempts to resolve informally etc.

Part II of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. However I imagine to convince a beak of the need to bring the matter before the court the Council would have to have a reasonable body of evidence to support its case - the defendant persistent in leaving bins out, complaints from neighbours, attempts to resolve informally etc.

I'd be interested to see which section of EPA 1990 they would intend to use. All looks a bit tenuous to me

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/contents

The Daily Fail always comes up trumps,local Bedford paper reports something slightly different,saying residents who keep leaving bins out on the pavement will be written to first and told they are creating a hazard for blind partially sighted people.

If they decide to continue leaving said bins out despite being asked not to,they will get a fixed fine of £100.

Councils own leaflet on Environmental crime also states £100 fine for naughty bin owners.

If it's for real, isn't it simply that people don't want a stinking bin in their garden for up to two weeks until it's collected?

We had to empty the contents of the non recycling one into a metal bin and set it all on fire a couple of weeks back - scorching hot temperature coupled with some decompsing food in the bin had created an infestation of maggots. And it stunk. Really badly.

We have a choice of annoying the neighbours with a foul smelling bin, or annoying the neighbours by lighting a fire on a nice day. This time I did the latter and went round to apologise in advance.

The next time I was simply going to wheel the bin outside (furthest point from all the properties) and leave it there. Perhaps that's what they have in mind, as if I can't do that then I'd have to incinerate our rubbish pretty regularly. Which means there would be no need to collect it any more.

Do they not collect food waste weekly where you live?

No, they come weekly, but collect the recyclable and non recyclable stuff on alternate weeks.

There was some guy on 3 counties radio complaining about this. He said he lives in an end of terrace house and when the bin men collect the bins they leave all of them at end of the terrace where he lives. He then got a letter from the council saying he will be fined for not bringing his bins in even though they are his neighbours bins and not his.

No mention of how much his house was worth

No mention of how much his house was worth

The shocking decline in journalism quality continues...