House Price Crash Forum
red

Repeats Of Location X3, Etc...

I am getting fed up of seeing Lx3 and similar shows on TV which are CLEARLY over a year old, some I imagine are older.

The valuations are no longer valid but more importantly the state of the market has shifted dramatically into a buyers' market.

Jo Public watching Krusty & Fool urging 1st time buyers to cripple themselves with debt in order to catch the run-away market a year ago was annoying, but to see it on TV now is disgraceful.

Does anyone know if broadcasting this hugely misleading info is in fact illegal?

Surely these shows need to caption the scenes with dates throughout the broadcast or better still, pull them.

:angry:

Guest Riser
I am getting fed up of seeing Lx3 and similar shows on TV which are CLEARLY over a year old, some I imagine are older.

The valuations are no longer valid but more importantly the state of the market has shifted dramatically into a buyers' market.

Jo Public watching Krusty & Fool urging 1st time buyers to cripple themselves with debt in order to catch the run-away market a year ago was annoying, but to see it on TV now is disgraceful.

Does anyone know if broadcasting this hugely misleading info is in fact illegal?

Surely these shows need to caption the scenes with dates throughout the broadcast or better still, pull them.

I believe that the repeats are misleading the public as the information and recommendations are time dependant.

We could probably put together a good case proving the point using land registry data.

Ofcom is a start point I will be giving them a call tomorrow

Phone:

0845 456 3000

or

020 7981 3040

Ofcom Contact Details

If enough of us join in we may get something done about it. Don’t imagine Kirsty would be too happy as it would hit her royalties, thats as good a reason as any :D

I believe that the repeats are misleading the public as the information and recommendations are time dependant.

We could probably put together a good case proving the point using land registry data.

Phone:

0845 456 3000

or

020 7981 3040

Ofcom Contact Details

If enough of us join in we may get something done about it. Don’t imagine Kirsty would be too happy as it would hit her royalties, thats as good a reason as any :D

Great idea, Riser - it really is extremely irresponsible of networks to broadcast these progs...and then of course there's Krusty's royalties... ;)

Of course it is - a valuation is just an opinion. Nothing more or less.

You're missing the point; it's not simply a question of valuation. When these shows were being made 2 years ago, people were being urged to clamber onto the ladder in a rising, seller's market. Annoying, but fair enough.

To screen them now is misleading and irresponsible. I am not au fait with the legal position, but I'm sure there's an argument for misleading description/information... I too will be calling OFCOM tomorrow. ;)

I think the best you'll get is a disclaimer by the announcer that the programme is a repeat and that current market conditions may differ to those at the time of the original broadcast. Even then, I think you'd be extremely lucky to get that.

I suppose we can take comfort in the knowledge that the same audience will be watching the new series of Property Ladder and all those deluded amateurs losing money hand over fist and, at best, breaking even.

Edited by Swipe

It was extremely irresponsible IN THE FIRST PLACE to broadcast this programme, even when the market was "on the up"l, the reason being that such programmes pumped out the Pyramid selling myth about housing, encouraged people to seek any way but normal ways to work and earn a living and gave out the impression that there is a free lunch if you just jumped on the bandwagon..

This programme is doubly irresponsible in repeat form, and apart from the idea of "caveat emptor" there is a case for it being at best grossly manipulative and at worst an appalling excercise in VI spin.

VP

Edited by VacantPossession

I think they should watermark a year into the corner of all these repeats to make it relevant..cant be that hard. But whatever you say L3 is still essential viewing. Krusty is a fine peice of crumpet make no mistake...Is it my imagination but is phil a p1sshead?

Not sure your right about that aspect. They would probably be dead on the button for prices in September 2004 or September 2005! Now if they broadcast the same programme next year we can all be having a good larf B)

Edited by Elizabeth

Guest Riser

Phone:

0845 456 3000

or

020 7981 3040

Ofcom Contact Details

Well called Ofcom today they will sed me a letter ext week and request a copy of L3 repeat from C4. Only takes a minute anyone fancy giving them a call they are open until 5:30 B)

Edited by Riser

To screen them now is misleading and irresponsible. I am not au fait with the legal position, but I'm sure there's an argument for misleading description/information... I too will be calling OFCOM tomorrow. ;)

As far as I know, the legal position is that it's perfectly legal to mislead people, or even outright lie to them, as long as you don't make a financial gain that is directly attributable to them being misled. Simply owning a house whose value increases with the market wouldn't count, you would have to show that someone who had watched and believed one of the programmes was actually buying a house belonging to someone involved with the programme.