House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

@warpigdon't apologise for talking about silver. We all know the self appointed forum policeman will come along soon to tell you off... lol

For me talking about silver is fine. We can't talk gold every post and the two are intrinsically linked IMO 

I kind of agree with keeping things separate... to a point. The Bitcoin thread wouldn't want it to be over run with discussions about gold... each thread has its audience. Having said that... and as you point out, it's near on impossible to talk about things in isolation... especially when they're "intrinsically" linked! 👍

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2018 could be the year for gold https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/popular/2141-2018-could-be-the-year-for-gold

Always my experience as well, so I second your recommendation.

It's entirely  dependant on what you are comfortable with. And obviously how much you would need on hand in the effect of something seriously drastic happening.

Posted Images

I like this chart... anyone fancy another 10 year parabolic gold run?

gold-mon-1.png

https://freedom.solari.com/rambus-blockbuster-chartology/

Hope so, i still have £ five figures invested in Gold / Gold miners in my SIPP that i dont plan to sell for another 15+ years. I wont add anymore as it's been a crap trade since 2010, but i not getting out either, just holding for the future.

Mind you it's all paper gold, shares and ETF's, my only physical gold is 14ct and is around my neck 24/7/365!!!  

Hope so, i still have £ five figures invested in Gold / Gold miners in my SIPP that i dont plan to sell for another 15+ years. I wont add anymore as it's been a crap trade since 2010, but i not getting out either, just holding for the future.

Mind you it's all paper gold, shares and ETF's, my only physical gold is 14ct and is around my neck 24/7/365!!!  

How do you intend to pay for Xmas? I know you have a family etc. You could always cash in some of your gold or BTC gains but you'll have to pay CGT (I think?)> You should buy physical bullion..

Edited by Warlord

The coming currency reset will set gold on fire.

How do you intend to pay for Xmas? I know you have a family etc. You could always cash in some of your gold or BTC gains but you'll have to pay CGT (I think?)> You should buy physical bullion..

I have no interest in physical bullion atm , if i hit my Crypto targets and sell 50% in 2021 , 50% of that six figure cash sum (also will be six figures) will go into physical gold, some coins, most will be via my bullionvault.com sitting with a lowly £30 of goldust left in it from 2007-2009. 

Yikes man, you will never get rich selling hard assets to pay for consumption! I have a constant DD for £200 pcm that is solely for Xmas, It runs December to Nov every year, 95% of Xmas spending goes on credit cards, in Jan i use the £2400 saved to clear the credit card. Makes the wife very happy to have a decent Xmas budget. TBH all that money comes from shopping at Aldi and not Waitrose / Tesco , our £450 pcm monthly Aldi food bill would be over £700 at Waitrose / Tesco. 

£200 pcm from a £5k net income pcm is nothing.  I budget our whole life with DD into various "squirrel" accounts. £85 pcm for car repairs, tyres and car tax (currently £0 p/a, all electric!!) , £100 pcm into another for car insurance, £200 pcm for Xmas, £100 pcm to cover birthdays and other smaller ones. 

If in the next 5 years my non SIPP investments can clear my mortgage, that's another £1630 pcm freed up from £5k pcm family take home, at which point i semi retire, just put maintaining effort into my lifestyle business i set up in 2018. 

Just trying to work out what DXY is up to... What is a Biden win going to do to it I wonder...

image.thumb.png.67228d7c52d1dd6c4359ca1a740fb982.png

contrarian in me says dollar rise... esp., if biden win. markets get confirmation (i.e. the lawsuits are all thrown out) of what they know...

contrarian in me says dollar rise... esp., if biden win. markets get confirmation (i.e. the lawsuits are all thrown out) of what they know...

For me it depends what else happens... we know calamitous markets in the event of a shock, will propel USD higher... debts are settled in the reserve currency... that aside... Trump is "America first"... and so with a Trump win - I would expect USD to rise... the fossil fuel industry lives to fight another day and the reserve currency will last another 4 years. If however Biden wins... he's going to kill the fossil fuel industry in the US... he's going to rejoin the Paris Accord and surrender the reserve currency to an international organisation like the BIS/UN... The question is... how much of this is priced in and what does the market take as fact and hearsay? Interesting that gold is targeting the January Inauguration... That kind of tells me the fate of the US determines gold's short term fate.

Having said that... I agree... looking at that chart makes me think USD is due a bounce, but in 6 days the Electoral College are supposed to vote... I think next Monday will show the way forward whatever happens.

For me it depends what else happens... we know calamitous markets in the event of a shock, will propel USD higher... debts are settled in the reserve currency... that aside... Trump is "America first"... and so with a Trump win - I would expect USD to rise... the fossil fuel industry lives to fight another day and the reserve currency will last another 4 years. If however Biden wins... he's going to kill the fossil fuel industry in the US... he's going to rejoin the Paris Accord and surrender the reserve currency to an international organisation like the BIS/UN... The question is... how much of this is priced in and what does the market take as fact and hearsay? Interesting that gold is targeting the January Inauguration... That kind of tells me the fate of the US determines gold's short term fate.

Having said that... I agree... looking at that chart makes me think USD is due a bounce, but in 6 days the Electoral College are supposed to vote... I think next Monday will show the way forward whatever happens.

(my bold) hope so. I expect a few 'fake' breakouts in different market pinch points beforehand!

(my bold) hope so. I expect a few 'fake' breakouts in different market pinch points beforehand!

I'd agree with this... even if Biden sells the US out, resolving the post election argument will be seen as a short term positive for USD... If Trump somehow pulls a rabbit out of the hat... everything's going to go mental! :)

Thinking about the weighting of EUR and GBP against the DXY... might mean BREXIT causes USD to rise... seems likely IMO.

possible tho the NI issue has been resolved now but the reality is yet to begin. In a way the 'uncertainty' in the US at the mo is fuelling this market - don't ask me why?!

Dalle
@dalle2020
$Gold/M2 Money Stock Cycle Update, daily
V-shaped recovery from IC4-ICL5-IC5. FBO at ICL5 (bounced off support and MA200, weekly). BT of  long term channel support and now moving into IC5. As long as M2 is expanding Gold will continue its journey towards ICH5.

EoxuGU4XcAEieu_.thumb.jpg.4e5705bc51a4602ce90d432e189235b8.jpg

Patrick Karim
@badcharts1
'Okay, strong move for a while, does sugar now need a breather? Very close to some generational breakout action... Can you spell I-N-F-L-A-T-I-O-N!'

Eoy9z0kXMAE1t2S.thumb.png.3917056122f2ddbcfd68f36381c555d3.png

@warpig... more of these big pinch points we were talking about

edit - warpig some analysis re. $USD

Edited by azogar

Patrick Karim
@badcharts1
'Okay, strong move for a while, does sugar now need a breather? Very close to some generational breakout action... Can you spell I-N-F-L-A-T-I-O-N!'

Eoy9z0kXMAE1t2S.thumb.png.3917056122f2ddbcfd68f36381c555d3.png

@warpig... more of these big pinch points we were talking about

edit - warpig some analysis re. $USD

Why would you get long term inflation in sugar?  I't's not like you cant grow more of it!!!

Great, is the price going to go up or down, by how much, and when? You dont know as the charts cant tell you the future.

Ok so same applies to your btc chart predictions?

Also, i will make you a chart prediction for silver with a price range and timing and if im right i win, if im wrong you win. Agreed?