House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2018 could be the year for gold https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/popular/2141-2018-could-be-the-year-for-gold

Always my experience as well, so I second your recommendation.

It's entirely  dependant on what you are comfortable with. And obviously how much you would need on hand in the effect of something seriously drastic happening.

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Fishfinger said:

Mine were £98 and an oz was £320 back in 2006...

I remember going to an auction around 2008 and walking away in disgust empty handed because sovereigns were selling at £100. 

Anyone got a time machine I can borrow?

10 minutes ago, Glenn said:

I remember going to an auction around 2008 and walking away in disgust empty handed because sovereigns were selling at £100. 

Do you have a link so such an auction?

38 minutes ago, cnick said:

Crazy high or crazy low?

$54,000/oz is crazy high, but I understand what Silverfinger is saying... and to be fair given the size of the bond market, when it goes pop that will be a lot of money looking for a home and I don't doubt gold and silver will benefit. Plus... what will $54,000/oz be worth in real terms... hard to say. Still that's the highest estimate I've heard to date!

On 03/08/2020 at 20:03, Doesn't Commute Anymore said:

Thanks to FF and TMBTL for the advice. I bought so many years ago, I had lost touch with whom was best to trade with. Both were efficient and reasonable in terms of offers. Gold is sellable anywhere, silver again no problem but too bulky to rucksack if you have even a low 1000s stash, platinum harder to find a buyer but HGM were good and offered fair. COVID-19 means slow progress in waiting for the small ATS office to be clear (only one customer at a time).

I am currently bullion-free for the first time since college years, which was many many years ago, but I have more urgent need for the money. (in those days, grants still existed a bit and you were deducted any cash savings in your award, so I used to buy Britannias from summer work and declare no cash savings)     

Interesting to hear about your experiences and story. Thanks for posting. All the best!

4 minutes ago, warpig said:

$54,000/oz is crazy high, but I understand what Silverfinger is saying... and to be fair given the size of the bond market, when it goes pop that will be a lot of money looking for a home and I don't doubt gold and silver will benefit. Plus... what will $54,000/oz be worth in real terms... hard to say. Still that's the highest estimate I've heard to date!

Worth in real terms? Compared to the Nationwide house price index, quoted on the HPC homepage, and the current pound sterling price for Au the ratio is around 138 toz. or 145 toz in comparison with the Halifax HP index.  The ratio hit lows of around 80 in the period 1979-82.  This time around?

2 minutes ago, Take Me Back To London! said:

Worth in real terms? Compared to the Nationwide house price index, quoted on the HPC homepage, and the current pound sterling price for Au the ratio is around 138 toz. or 145 toz in comparison with the Halifax HP index.  The ratio hit lows of around 80 in the period 1979-82.  This time around?

So to get to that ratio again, with all other things static Au needs to increase by approx by a factor of 1.8?

17 hours ago, Killer Bunny said:

Muting you now. How dare you tell me how to post?

Aww that's being rather precious. I have you on follow ❤️

Meanwhile, gains extending.

image.png.05dce7b29d7dcc4beb9277e9b7812fbd.png

Silver premiums at around 20%

3 hours ago, Glenn said:

sure, buy Bitcoin while it's under $12k. 

2 hours ago, Take Me Back To London! said:

As in what will it's purchasing power be... to use an extreme example - will my local dwarf throwing competition expect a £1,000,000 entrance fee? Yes gold:house ratios are a good way to measure real value. I'm expecting 55oz for your average house "or lower"... What is happening now can't be found on a historical chart.

2 hours ago, markyh said:

sure, buy Bitcoin while it's under $12k. 

It begs belief how it got there.  I messed around with a wallet from paxful (Who requested a load of ID) and then went to do some bc buying.  Well the sellers also seem to request ID....and no chance I’m sending a stranger my passport and bank details or whatever.

I just don’t see any political acceptance of bc.  Gold the better chance of it’s time in the sun ☀️ 

1 hour ago, warpig said:

$2,064... I wonder what's driving it... (I know the general answer...) but specifically what happened at noon on Tuesday 4th August?

Killer Bunny sold all his holdings! ?

1 minute ago, warpig said:

I wonder on average who makes the most money... buy and holders or traders...? <-- Rhetorical! 

If they're waiting for $1800 gold I suggest traders (shorts) will be losing a cr@p load...

Edited by Warlord