Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2018 could be the year for gold https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/popular/2141-2018-could-be-the-year-for-gold

Always my experience as well, so I second your recommendation.

It's entirely  dependant on what you are comfortable with. And obviously how much you would need on hand in the effect of something seriously drastic happening.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Warlord said:

What about in M3? (i.e actual expansion of the money supply);

That's only one element of it... I've no idea how you would calculate it unless shadowstats have created something... I suppose the point is - even using their own bogus methodology it's still 25% undervalued from it's all time high in real terms... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, reddog said:

Just took my eye off the gold price for a few hours!!  

 

It actually look like it was stuck in a range around $1975 for a few days, anyone any idea as to what caused lift off?

Trump's miracle economy is getting worse not better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reddog said:

anyone any idea as to what caused lift off?

No... can't find any good explanation for it yet... apart from my last screenshot and the fact the dollar's down a bit... but nothing to justify this move. Even the VIX is down... everything else fairly normal apart from PMs. Platinum' had a good day too. Even factory orders were up on expectations... expected 4.6% actual 6.2%

image.png.1b784fb7ca8968e696b8779ab2c76acd.png

Edited by warpig
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gold breaks a new milestone at $2000.

New thousand dollar milestones will start dropping like dominos.

GDX makes a new high for the year.

Crashing dollar will leave many broke millionaires.

Fed codifying commitment to reckless money printing and endless inflation.

16 year olds lip-syncing is not a national security threat.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, warpig said:

No... can't find any good explanation for it yet... apart from my last screenshot and the fact the dollar's down a bit... but nothing to justify this move. Even the VIX is down... everything else fairly normal apart from PMs. Platinum' had a good day too. Even factory orders were up on expectations... expected 4.6% actual 6.2%

image.png.1b784fb7ca8968e696b8779ab2c76acd.png

I don’t think this is a appetite for gold but rather an appetite for anything other than currency, stocks etc. Amateurs and professionals now looking at gold.

We are a third of the way through a pandemic (well certainly the economic consequences) and governments are throwing money all over the place.

I think the reason for the hike is the bears are now the realists and everyone is starting to feel jittery. I am feeling it with my own savings and I am pretty sure if I was managing a massive pension fund I would be looking for hedge investments including gold.  
In Gold we Trust....?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pop321 said:

I don’t think this is a appetite for gold but rather an appetite for anything other than currency, stocks etc. Amateurs and professionals now looking at gold.

We are a third of the way through a pandemic (well certainly the economic consequences) and governments are throwing money all over the place.

I think the reason for the hike is the bears are now the realists and everyone is starting to feel jittery. I am feeling it with my own savings and I am pretty sure if I was managing a massive pension fund I would be looking for hedge investments including gold.  
In Gold we Trust....?

I generally agree with you, but I'd refine it further. I'd say this is money fleeing the bond market and negative real rates... there's obviously a fear factor as well. The stock market is also benefiting from bond market capital inflows. To boil it down further... I think it's really just a move from public to private assets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, warpig said:

I generally agree with you, but I'd refine it further. I'd say this is money fleeing the bond market and negative real rates... there's obviously a fear factor as well. The stock market is also benefiting from bond market capital inflows. To boil it down further... I think it's really just a move from public to private assets.

Understood and thx.

The level of expertise, debate and consideration of wider factors on this huge thread is much deeper than my knowledge re gold and I would bow to it  

Mine is just a surface 2D viewpoint and its definitely feeling jittery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, warpig said:

$2,035 and still going... I think we promised we'd wake G0ldfinger up when gold spikes $100 in a day. We're getting close...

Anyone have an idea as to how many ounces of physical would have to be traded to move the 'market' by $100...... .....or just a rough idea??

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cnick said:

Anyone have an idea as to how many ounces of physical would have to be traded to move the 'market' by $100...... .....or just a rough idea??

Wouldn't it depend on the direction also? Large volumes both sell and buy side would churn rather than move in either direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, warpig said:

I generally agree with you, but I'd refine it further. I'd say this is money fleeing the bond market and negative real rates... there's obviously a fear factor as well. The stock market is also benefiting from bond market capital inflows. To boil it down further... I think it's really just a move from public to private assets.

The outsize move in silver says more I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 418 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.