House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2018 could be the year for gold https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/popular/2141-2018-could-be-the-year-for-gold

Always my experience as well, so I second your recommendation.

It's entirely  dependant on what you are comfortable with. And obviously how much you would need on hand in the effect of something seriously drastic happening.

Posted Images

12 hours ago, reddog said:

There been some talk on this thread (including from me) about gold hitting $5000.

Serious question, would you sell your gold at $5000, or just hold it, continuing to see it as insurance (when gold is $5000 we will likely be in a whole world of pain, so it might be hard to see things getting better even if they are).

Alternatively would you flip into another PM?(maybe platinum if that did rise as much).

Or maybe sell a small proportion?

Or would you play it by ear?

I've done some maths that can give a logorythmic chart for gold hitting $20500.

either way, my exit strategy is fairly simple....I inveted quite low, so I have taken profit on enough to get ROI. that will now be put to use in other areas where I can make/save money.the rest is pure profit so will ride to whereever it ends up a couple of years from now.

5 hours ago, reddog said:

I was thinking that, I became interested I gold because it has some (almost) unique properties.

If I were to sell gold, it might be quite hard to find another asset class that has the same advantages.

It is unique... that's why central banks still keep their barbarous relic/shiny pet rocks... :)

In the current climate there's little else to invest in... on the other side of this crisis, there will be fresh opportunities.

5 hours ago, oracle said:

I would say silver is a nice bet at these prices...supply is limited, demand (industrial) seems to be bottoming out.demand(monetary) seems to be increasing.

oh to be a bottom fisher at $12!!!!!...$18-20 would have been ok too,but couldn't raise the funds in time.I'm aware I've get this on momentum and am prepared to wear a 10-20% correction short term, long tem I think I've backed a winner.

You have. When this pullback unfolds I'll be sinking my redundancy into silver mining shares amongst other things... will start to post on the silver thread when I decide on my strategy.

5 hours ago, oracle said:

he says silver:gold rati0 gong to sub 15,I believe him.not going to complain about his advice

At current gold prices that puts silver north of $100! I agree, it's just a question of timing and volatility.

4 hours ago, Warlord said:

I have enough gold for a decent equity stake (especially with the rising prices!!) However I like renting and it suits me.  Also I like not being in debt. It's psychological for me. I just plan to hodl and see... you can have your dream house @warpig

If this pans out the way I expect (and it might not...) I hope to buy the equivalent of a £600k house (at today's prices) for cash in the next few years and still have investment money on the table. It depends on other investments as well... but fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, Crashley Banjo said:

Think it’ll go to 50-100 range ? 

Yes and it's very hard to imagine a situation with where UK houses won't sell off really hard and gold soars. I wonder whether we might see 38 ounces per average home. I appreciate that isn't represented on that chart... but a 50% sell off in houses and a 100% increase in gold in Sterling would take it to 38 ounces a house. A 25% correction in the housing market and £3k gold will take the ratio to 58 ounces... That's a given, but I think gold in Sterling will go higher than that and the housing market will crash harder than just 25% off... markets always over correct and you always get blow off tops... 

3 hours ago, Killer Bunny said:

Expect the 25% by 2025 and the £4K by late 20s.

Both of those predictions are very late... can you explain why you've picked those dates and prices? Genuinely curious... especially the housing correction... Between 2007-2008 houses corrected 20+%

14 hours ago, reddog said:

Serious question, would you sell your gold at $5000

$5-10k between 2025 and 30.

Largely depends if HPs had crashed or not.

27 minutes ago, warpig said:

Both of those predictions are very late... can you explain why you've picked those dates and prices? Genuinely curious... especially the housing correction... Between 2007-2008 houses corrected 20+%

not quite the scenario I'm envisaging.

I'm forecasting a modest correction nominally in HP's(15 to 20% or so within 2-3 years,figures and headlines massaged and manipulated enough to look orderly  ), so as not to scare the sheeple,but the currency debasement will mean your food bills will be basically double in the meantime.

stagflation on steroids

We have been puzzled of late about the laissez-faire way the UK government has been spending over the COVID pause. Its almost like they don't care about the consequences...which is unusual!

Experience has taught us that when something doesn't make sense, it is generally because we don't see the whole picture...we are missing some relevant information.

The we saw this. Listen to Staceys monologue up to 2.05ish (before Max cuts in).

Some on here and else where in Internetland have been musing over the last 12 years that the current monetary system is overdue a reset.

Stacey states its GAME OVER and they know it.

The statement about Steve Mnuchin rings a bell with what we hear about our benevolent Chancellor...

Could it be that they know there is a reset coming soon????

If so some of the more recent statements re Au to £4k/oz could be sooner rather than later.

11 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

We have been puzzled of late about the laissez-faire way the UK government has been spending over the COVID pause. Its almost like they don't care about the consequences...which is unusual!

Experience has taught us that when something doesn't make sense, it is generally because we don't see the whole picture...we are missing some relevant information.

The we saw this. Listen to Staceys monologue up to 2.05ish (before Max cuts in).

Some on here and else where in Internetland have been musing over the last 12 years that the current monetary system is overdue a reset.

Stacey states its GAME OVER and they know it.

The statement about Steve Mnuchin rings a bell with what we hear about our benevolent Chancellor...

Could it be that they know there is a reset coming soon????

If so some of the more recent statements re Au to £4k/oz could be sooner rather than later.

I agree... and it seems obvious to me they've embellished the severity of Covid19 to push through new monetary policy. Something is afoot... the fatality rate of this virus is comparable with the standard flu, but they've used fear to control people. The question is what are they up to... Clearly the reserve currency is in it's twilight years... so we're looking at a new Bretton Woods. As Winston Churchill once said Never let a good crisis go to waste”.

We know the central banks are looking at block chain technology... the bit that scrambles my brain is what would this solve? OK... you could devalue USD/GBP against the new currency and diminish the debts, but this would have to be global, so this would have to be implemented by the IMF and it would damage the autonomy of central banks - wouldn't it? Would the Easter hemisphere buy into this because they have the old currency and all the gold.... The argument for moving away from a gold standard was it was deflationary... you couldn't create money to facilitate growth fast enough... it was inelastic. Surely the same could be said for a new reserve crypto currency? IMO BTC... will be washed away in it's wake.

I think higher PM prices are coming sooner than expected... but what we didn't consider in 2008/9 how will the governments/central banks react to a potentially soaring price of gold... it's healthy to talk about this IMO.

44 minutes ago, fatspanner said:

Where's the best place to start investing in gold and silver miners?

I've always used https://www.hl.co.uk/ but I'm curious like you if anyone can suggest somewhere better and for what reasons... Given the fragility of companies at the moment, lower rates aren't an important criteria to me. What I look for is a reputable company with access to as many exchanges as possible, because not all companies trade on all exchanges. 

Anyone got anything to add?

https://www.bullionstar.com/blogs/bullionstar/what-sets-the-gold-price-is-it-the-paper-market-or-physical-market/

........does the physical gold market or the paper gold market set this international price of gold?
The international gold price is purely set by paper gold markets, in other words it is set by non-physical gold markets. Based on their respective gold market structures, the London OTC gold market and COMEX are both paper gold markets. Supply of and demand for physical gold plays no role in setting the gold price in these markets. Physical gold transactions in all other gold markets just inherit the gold prices that are discovered in these paper gold markets............

What's the physical to paper ratio at the moment?

5 hours ago, warpig said:

If this pans out the way I expect (and it might not...) I hope to buy the equivalent of a £600k house (at today's prices) for cash in the next few years and still have investment money on the table. It depends on other investments as well... but fingers crossed.

. i think that sounds a reasonable timeframe.  I wish you luck. HPC + rising gold prices... lethal combination

Edited by Warlord