House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

Just now, warpig said:

No this is outdated information. Goldbugs refer to document written whilst the US was at or had just surrendered the gold standard, they do not apply now. Gold is just another currency hedge to them.

Ok, we'll i'm going to leave it there with this thread. I'd love for people to be able to store their wealth honestly, in gold, but I really don't believe the system operates without government corruption. Hopefully, things will become good for those who are heavily loaded with gold.... all I say is 'be careful', it's easy to get burnt no matter what you think or feel.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2018 could be the year for gold https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/popular/2141-2018-could-be-the-year-for-gold

Always my experience as well, so I second your recommendation.

It's entirely  dependant on what you are comfortable with. And obviously how much you would need on hand in the effect of something seriously drastic happening.

Posted Images

If you have a contending point of view, you should stand your ground and argue your point. There are so many gold myths that are passed off as fact, that's it's healthy to talk about them. You hinted at one when you said "store their wealth honestly." You seem to be suggesting gold is consistent store of value, which it isn't. Even when the world was on a gold standard the price had to be defended continually. It was only "honest" because of government intervention. You can't have it both ways. 

1 minute ago, Dreamcasting said:

Ok, we'll i'm going to leave it there with this thread. I'd love for people to be able to store their wealth honestly, in gold, but I really don't believe the system operates without government corruption. Hopefully, things will become good for those who are heavily loaded with gold.... all I say is 'be careful', it's easy to get burnt no matter what you think or feel.

3 minutes ago, warpig said:

If you have a contending point of view, you should stand your ground and argue your point. There are so many gold myths that are passed off as fact, that's it's healthy to talk about them. You hinted at one when you said "store their wealth honestly." You seem to be suggesting gold is consistent store of value, which it isn't. Even when the world was on a gold standard the price had to be defended continually. It was only "honest" because of government intervention. You can't have it both ways. 

No, i'm out of here as I realise making comments in a 'gold' thread is pointless no matter what I say. Obviously the thread will be biased for gold, and trying to extract 'facts' is impossible in this corrupt world. I don't really call it a healthy debate. I still believe gold is very heavily manipulated by world governments (or at least on behalf of the governments) for the reasons I have stated earlier, but I am not willing to 'argue' about it because it's not worth it.

Well if you're not here to discuss gold, then I can only assume you're here to push an agenda. Are you related to any business that sells gold perchance? Of course you'll say no, but if not, then none of this really makes any sense.

4 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

No, i'm out of here as I realise making comments in a 'gold' thread is pointless no matter what I say. Obviously the thread will be biased for gold, and trying to extract 'facts' is impossible in this corrupt world. I don't really call it a healthy debate. I still believe gold is very heavily manipulated by world governments (or at least on behalf of the governments) for the reasons I have stated earlier, but I am not willing to 'argue' about it because it's not worth it.

We have vested parties appear on this and other forums from time to time trying to drum up business, but having read your other posts on this forum, I think I've misjudged you. Apologies.

If you're interested how gold might help protect your savings, then feel free to ask questions. It's not a panacea, but a bit of gold will help soften the blow. Just because the system's gamed, doesn't mean you can't come out on top.

30 minutes ago, Dreamcasting said:

Royal Mint Gold, RMG, is chugging along. http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-blockchain-gold-idUKKBN17D2RL

Like most here, I understand vaulted gold, and the arguments for and against. What I am at a loss over is the 'fin technology' of the platforms that are used. So it's not a debate over how easy it would be for gold to be confiscated I seek. What I want to determine is how easy it would be to hack, and fraudulently deprive me of any gold I placed in the care of such a scheme.

I have posted on the bitcoin thread, but I doubt it will get the response I'm after. Anybody here got a dummies guide to blockchain explanation.

This came up with my research, never considered Sharia compliant gold which is linked in this article on RMG..._

http://www.goldcore.com/us/gold-blog/royal-mint-cme-make-mint-blockchain/#disqus_thread

6 hours ago, DiggerUK said:

Royal Mint Gold, RMG, is chugging along. http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-blockchain-gold-idUKKBN17D2RL

Not sure about the hackable aspect of this, but your link reminded me of this earlier article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/investing/gold/buy-royal-mint-gold-using-bitcoin-tech-via-isa-firm/

It mentions Hargreaves Lansdown, so I thought it would be good if it leads to investors being able to invest through an ISA, rather than being limited to ETFs or mining shares.

Asia's Richest Man Is "Aggressively Adding Direct Exposure To Gold"

...'mainland China’s biggest billionaire investor and the richest man in all of Asia Li Ka-shing, have a renewed and urgent interest in diversifying their assets into both, gold mining firms and the physical asset itself'...

This individual’s net worth is about $35 billion… For the first time in a number of years of working with his team when it comes to investments in commodities that they believe were important to the strategic growth of China… for the first time they are looking for gold related investments.

The comment from the person heading this initiative for Li Ka-shing is very interesting… His right hand man said to me ‘He’s not just looking for investing in gold mines… he literally wants to find more ways to take physical gold back to Hong Kong and have that exposure.’

This is the largest individual investor in mainland China and I tell you over the last few years of having worked with him on the energy side, this is the first time I have seen him so aggressively looking for gold related opportunities.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-17/asias-richest-man-aggressively-adding-direct-exposure-gold

Edited by Errol

Gold prices will continue to climb due to geopolitical tensions - analysts

The price of gold has risen 12 percent this year, and the surge will only continue, according to bank Intesa Sanpaolo, marked by Bloomberg as the best forecaster for the metal last quarter. Analysts at Saxo Bank agree.

https://www.rt.com/business/385274-gold-price-keeps-climbing/

18 minutes ago, Errol said:

Gold prices will continue to climb due to geopolitical tensions - analysts

The price of gold has risen 12 percent this year, and the surge will only continue, according to bank Intesa Sanpaolo, marked by Bloomberg as the best forecaster for the metal last quarter. Analysts at Saxo Bank agree.

https://www.rt.com/business/385274-gold-price-keeps-climbing/

It's knocking on the $1300 doors, probably one last dive to $1220 before climbing unto $1350 approx.... depending on the Australian dollar value against the United States dollar, the VIX charts (uncertainty).... Sliver looks good since it broke from it's down trend from the last couple of years.

17 minutes ago, warpig said:

You're not another gold only goes up investor are you? You sound like one.

Nope I trade by what I see not what I hear. It should have shorted like sliver last week, but they fell out of sync. Once it hits $1299, I'll be reversing trajectory :ph34r:

Anyways my attention is on Cocoa and NY Orange.... those are true hawk downs B)

Then why doesn't sight of the last chart I posted have you shorting the gold market?

2 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

Nope I trade by what I see not what I hear. It should have shorted like sliver last week, but they fell out of sync. Once it hits $1299, I'll be reversing trajectory :ph34r:

Anyways my attention is on Cocoa and NY Orange.... those are true hawk downs B)

2 minutes ago, warpig said:

Then why doesn't sight of the last chart I posted have you shorting the gold market?

It broke past its LH marker I penciled in at $1280, based on some sentimental jazz, so I'm waiting to see if the wind blows north or south. Oil looks like a nice hedge in the making.. The cartels won't be happy with a sub $50 per barrel value :D

Gold has been weak for some time, it's only strength has been dollar weakness. So by saying you think gold may continue higher, what you're actually saying is gold has finally broken it's downtrend after 6 years and the dollar will fall out of it's uptrend. That's one helluva statement and as I said before, you're a brave man to suggest those 2 trends have reversed. That chart says the opposite.

37 minutes ago, maverick73 said:

It broke past its LH marker I penciled in at $1280, based on some sentimental jazz, so I'm waiting to see if the wind blows north or south. Oil looks like a nice hedge in the making.. The cartels won't be happy with a sub $50 per barrel value :D