House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

Apparently there is some suspected malarky re the silver COT this week. Apparently it has been the biggest move from long to short positions in silver by the commercial traders in memory - which has led to one gold/silver watcher to wonder whether the previous week's COTs were correctly reported?

The big 4 commerical traders have gone massively short again on silver and also gone short again on gold. Or, rather, they have increased their gold short positions whilst reducing their long positions... and massively increased their silver short positions whilst reducing their long positions.

I don't pretend to understand it fully but apparently this kind of thing usually happens prior to a big drop in the price of both metals.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Apparently there is some suspected malarky re the silver COT this week. Apparently it has been the biggest move from long to short positions in silver by the commercial traders in memory - which has led to one gold/silver watcher to wonder whether the previous week's COTs were correctly reported?

The big 4 commerical traders have gone massively short again on silver and also gone short again on gold. Or, rather, they have increased their gold short positions whilst reducing their long positions... and massively increased their silver short positions whilst reducing their long positions.

I don't pretend to understand it fully but apparently this kind of thing usually happens prior to a big drop in the price of both metals.

My biscuit tin filling, stasher friend, reports sharp price rises on Ebay

HOLA444

My biscuit tin filling, stasher friend, reports sharp price rises on Ebay

I don't know why anyone would buy gold or silver on Ebay! Apart from the risks of not really knowing who you are dealing with and what you are getting, most of what I have seen on there always appears overpriced compared to what you can get from a good bullion dealer.

HOLA445

Doesn't mean they are right but I may have a quick reassessment of my ETF position.

Just keep buying it, one coin at a time.

I trade a little bit but in the longer term I'm a stacker!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I don't know why anyone would buy gold or silver on Ebay! Apart from the risks of not really knowing who you are dealing with and what you are getting, most of what I have seen on there always appears overpriced compared to what you can get from a good bullion dealer.

He buys coins out of circulation (scrap) and sends it back if its fake. Its easy enough to test it.

He runs his own shop, selling collectables, and buys in a far bit that way too.

Hasn't bought for a while as its a bit toppy, but as he's not buying from a bullion dealer, he's not paying any VAT either.

Edited by shindigger

HOLA449

He buys coins out of circulation (scrap) and sends it back if its fake. Its easy enough to test it.

He runs his own shop, selling collectables, and buys in a far bit that way too.

Hasn't bought for a while as its a bit toppy, but as he's not buying from a bullion dealer, he's not paying any VAT either.

Good point about VAT on silver. Still, generally the prices on Ebay seem to be at about the same sort of levels as the bullion price plus VAT in any case so I still don't see how it works out much cheaper (I suppose it is for people just buying one or 2 coins) but obviously he is buying niche items that he knows he can get a return on.

HOLA4410

Good point about VAT on silver. Still, generally the prices on Ebay seem to be at about the same sort of levels as the bullion price plus VAT in any case so I still don't see how it works out much cheaper (I suppose it is for people just buying one or 2 coins) but obviously he is buying niche items that he knows he can get a return on.

ebay buying is useful for those trying not to leave an easy to follow audit trail. Not saying your mate is doing that, but if he wants to understand business by 20% to the taxman, ebay is the way to go.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Today, US$ up 0.5% and Silver UP over 2% and Oil flat.

Seems to me PMs and energy stocks building for biiiig rally and $ to correct.

nb. if Yen rallies...Effect on DM shares...?

HOLA4413

Today, US$ up 0.5% and Silver UP over 2% and Oil flat.

Seems to me PMs and energy stocks building for biiiig rally and $ to correct.

nb. if Yen rallies...Effect on DM shares...?

So what?

Yday silver DOWN 2%. Just normal volatility

HOLA4414

Gold Jumps After India Reveals Import Surge

Gold prices jumped overnight on initial rumors and again in the last hour as Indian officials note that March Gold imports surged to 125 tons (more than double last March's 60 tons). As Reuters reports, Gold imports in the fiscal year 2014/15 ended March 31 jumped to 900 tonnes, up 36% from a year ago.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-10/gold-jumps-after-india-reveals-import-surge

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Gold-Backed SDR "Is Quite Likely To Happen", LSE's Lord Desai Warns

Lord Meghnad Desai, chairman of The Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum, stated that IMF Special Drawing Rights (SDR) should contain some gold to help stabilize the currency.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-12/gold-backed-sdr-quite-likely-happen-lses-lord-desai-warns

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I think this is quite interesting. There is certainly an increase in discussions of this type:

OMFIF (Official Monetary and Financial Institutions Forum), in association with the World Gold Council, hosts a select group of central banks and other official sector institutions for a breakfast discussion on gold, the renminbi, and the multicurrency reserve system. Discussions are under Chatham House Rules and take place during the International Monetary Fund and World Bank Group spring meeting in Washington.

http://www.omfif.org/meetings/briefings/