House Price Crash Forum
Lepista

Gold strategy in the current economy

The above is a healthy reminder that what you believe is yours may not be, in certain very real potential circumstances.

The movement in gold reminds that in time of stress - look at share prices - gold will come into its own. Longer term stress in the system will be abundantly obvious to all ...

well i say i did, been on the phone to halifax for over an hour already trying to get them to allow payment.... still trying

well i say i did, been on the phone to halifax for over an hour already trying to get them to allow payment.... still trying

Had the same problem last week with the same bank for a sum probably a quarter of that even whent to the brach and told them the payment was going to be made before hand was pi$$ed right of ...had to pay for a bank transfer in the end is this their M.O

The above is a healthy reminder that what you believe is yours may not be, in certain very real potential circumstances.

The movement in gold reminds that in time of stress - look at share prices - gold will come into its own. Longer term stress in the system will be abundantly obvious to all ...

​sure ... so:

1) why buy paper gold?

​2) why buy unallocated gold?

​3) why on earth trade it just now?

​Just buy it, hold it, hide it and forget it until it's $5,000 an ounce.

turns out in an issue with addresses, bit annoying as i don't see why bullionbypost causes extra security checks over other higher value transactions, now need to go into a branch and chat with some humans. Bit of a wasted hour in the phone to halifax, as they claimed it was not them blocking it, had to call BBP who explained what i needed to do! (was halifax)

i can see gold spiking any day now, so i'm trying to expose myself more, just shows how much of a pain buying physical can be. Every time i have bought gold had similar issues.

just checking what I.D i need before i set off on a drive, i would be angry but have come to expect such things.

right bank from the bank (after a flat tyre) having updated my address, tried to place the order again. rejected.
now back on the phone to halifax, they asked me to try again. rejected.
now waiting to get through to the fraud team again. This is turning out to be a bit of a faff.

seems its all the extra levels of security causing it to be a pain. Halifax were not all that helpful. Did it with a bank transfer in the end, so success!
thankfully never had to order in a rush yet, seems the 2015 gold sovereigns i wanted to order are now sold out (since this morning) so went for best value instead.

I cannot find a silver thread...where did they go.? Anyway. Does anyone have any insights into silver-to-go. It is linked via the Coininvest website who I trust and have been trading for years. However silver-to-go sells silver Vat free ..what are the implications. Would I get hammered a month after delivery by customs if I bought a few dozen ounces today for instance.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-16/traders-betting-russia-s-next-move-will-be-to-sell-gold.html

'Russia’s surprise interest-rate increase failed to stop the plummeting ruble. The next weapon available to repair economic havoc caused by sanctions and falling oil prices: selling gold.

Russia holds about 1,169.5 metric tons of the precious metal, the central bank said last month. That’s about 10 percent of its foreign reserves, according to the London-based World Gold Council. The country added 150 tons this year through Nov. 18, central bank Governor Elvira Nabiullina told lawmakers.

Russia’s cash pile has dropped to a five-year low as its central bank spent more than $80 billion trying to slow the ruble’s retreat. The currency’s collapse combined with more than a 40 percent tumble in oil prices this year is robbing Russia of the hard currency it needs in the face of sanctions imposed after President Vladimir Putin’s annexation of Crimea. A fall in gold prices signals that traders are betting that the country will tap its reserves.'

I cannot find a silver thread...where did they go.? Anyway. Does anyone have any insights into silver-to-go. It is linked via the Coininvest website who I trust and have been trading for years. However silver-to-go sells silver Vat free ..what are the implications. Would I get hammered a month after delivery by customs if I bought a few dozen ounces today for instance.

You have no customs worries as they are based in the E.U (Germany).

I believe the VAT is payable on their profit margin and not on the total price of the coin.

Because you have paid the VAT in Germany this means you cannot be charged VAT in the U.K as well.

I have ordered Silver coins from Germany many times without any problems.

Have a look on thesilverforum.com they are really helpful.

I believe the VAT is payable on their profit margin and not on the total price of the coin.

Because you have paid the VAT in Germany this means you cannot be charged VAT in the U.K as well.

Much appreciated.

Dose this apply to the Channel islands ?

Edit found the answer here http://www.bullionrock.com/ formally Guernsey mint

Edited by long time lurking

Strong reversals all over commodity space. GDXJ up 6%...with rising $.

Just won't fall apart. Apparently. On verra.

Still vg chance of big rally. Has it now started?

Edited by Killer Bunny

Celticgold.eu are completely vat free.

The miners bull market thats always just about to start in 1 easy to understand picture

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=GDX&p=D&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=p16300403553

:lol: Volume's picked up a bit in recently years but looks like a painful place if you have ever been invested long. Still, luck might change :blink:, tough to go much lower.

https://www.tradingview.com/e/6Nl0lo76/

gdx.jpg

post-21626-0-62472500-1419020570_thumb.jpg

- stock Markets turning

- sterling dependant on property bubble

- property bubble bursting

- more extreme financial policies

I'm rather fond of gold right now! The Third market crash in 20 years will set gold up for a long time.

Just seems to make sense to buy gold when it's been falling for a few years and stock markets are hitting all time highs.

nothing goes up forever, The Dow visually looks to have gone parabolic now. plenty of alarm bells ringing.

a sovereign will still be a sovereign in 20 years time. the stock markets valued in fiat? will the purchasing power actually be higher (although value increased) in 20 years time?

At least with gold you could loose Purchasing power, but fiat is always trending to zero. may be a long wait for the next crisis, could be in a few months, but it will come.

:lol: Volume's picked up a bit in recently years but looks like a painful place if you have ever been invested long. Still, luck might change :blink:, tough to go much lower.

https://www.tradingview.com/e/6Nl0lo76/

attachicon.gifgdx.jpg

gold bugs said the same about oil.

they said the same about gold all the way trough this thread too (and amusingly still are doing).

gold fell for 20 years in the 80s/90s. No reason why it wont during this bust. It's really not different this time.

Can't see a "failed breakdown" on the chart. Can you?

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.pnf?c=GDX,P&listNum=

Edited by R K

gold fell for 20 years in the 80s/90s. No reason why it wont during this bust. It's really not different this time.

A few things are different: China and India are completely different from 30 years ago. As is the position of Russia.

It would be interesting to see recorded figures for Chinese/Russian/India gold demand from 30 years ago for comparison.

The position of the United States is also far worse than 30 years ago (when they were effectively the outright, unchallenged hegemonic superpower).

Add to this the slow loss of domination of the gold markets (see the recent changes with the London Fix mechanism etc) from London/New York and I think there are a great many things that are different.

Edited by Errol

Gold will be the last bastion of financial salvation, but just not yet... I'm still firmly of the opinion we're going lower in to Q[1|2] 2015 and then gold will resume it's up trend.