House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

edit: or do you think we all keep dancing around in a circle holding hands in wonderland?

Why are you wasting your time convincing someone who knows he/she/it/they are wrong? All the counterarguments against you are lame. I wont be wasting anymore time.

• Replies 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2018 could be the year for gold https://www.goldmoney.com/research/goldmoney-insights/popular/2141-2018-could-be-the-year-for-gold

Always my experience as well, so I second your recommendation.

It's entirely  dependant on what you are comfortable with. And obviously how much you would need on hand in the effect of something seriously drastic happening.

Posted Images

Not wishing to get into a discussion of whether we are or not, but it is plainly true that the mania phase of a bull run is the most profitable part of the cycle if you can time your exit right. Does anyone experience of writing calls or spread bets in similar circumstances?

This thread needs a bit more strategy and a bit less ideology.

Do you not understand there is a reason why paper/digital currency is/has been escaping to Gold and Silver?

IMO there are two ways this $h*t storm will be resolved -

1. High/hyperinflation

2. Sovereign debt default.

Option 1 can be used for quite a while until we get option 2 btw.

Do you have a third option for us?

If so....

Do you think those 'in power' are intelligent enough to use it?

edit: or do you think we all keep dancing around in a circle holding hands in wonderland?

'Cause it's a bubble? Same as paper currency was 'escaping' to oil, to dot.com ipos, to houses?

Where do you imagine this money 'goes'?

I have a lump of metal. You want it. I tell you it's worth $1850. You hand over $1850. Now you have the lump of metal and I have $1850 (For simplicity I've ignored the little matter of buying it from the bloke in Venezuela who happens to have a mine and some blokes with pick axes).

Explain to me again what the issue is whereby we need to have hyperinflation or debt default?

Is that the one where every asset has a matching liability or something else?

It's gone up 'cause you and others think they'll be able to dump it on some other sucker for more than you paid for it at some point in the future.

No other reason whatsoever. Asset managers lumping into GLD (or even bars) are no smarter than anyone else. When the bubble bursts they'll be trying to distribute just like the next guy, but faster.

'Cause it's a bubble?

I have a lump of metal.

It's gone up 'cause you and others think they'll be able to dump it on some other sucker for more than you paid for it at some point in the future.

Ok! PM's are simply lumps of metal in a bubble being pumped by a load of estate agents (bugs). Everyone should to run to the nearest 'cash for gold' shop first thing in the morning.

Why are you wasting your time convincing someone who knows he/she/it/they are wrong? All the counterarguments against you are lame. I wont be wasting anymore time.

Good advice.

Perhaps instead of concentrating on the quantity of posts (14,876), you should be more concerned with the quality of each post. You don't get it, you don't fool anybody and you're wasting everybody's time. Perhaps you should give yourself a break from posting here, it's probably for the best...

'Cause it's a bubble? Same as paper currency was 'escaping' to oil, to dot.com ipos, to houses?

Where do you imagine this money 'goes'?

I have a lump of metal. You want it. I tell you it's worth $1850. You hand over $1850. Now you have the lump of metal and I have $1850 (For simplicity I've ignored the little matter of buying it from the bloke in Venezuela who happens to have a mine and some blokes with pick axes).

Explain to me again what the issue is whereby we need to have hyperinflation or debt default?

Is that the one where every asset has a matching liability or something else?

No other reason whatsoever. Asset managers lumping into GLD (or even bars) are no smarter than anyone else. When the bubble bursts they'll be trying to distribute just like the next guy, but faster.

There is no escape as such. Someone has seen fit to swap their gold for fiat.

Just like a derivative, there is simply two sides to the trade. The money goes back into circulation. It does not escape.

yes but the (not so simple) problem is, money and derivatives are elastic, real things and stuff are not.

I've just sold half my electronic gold and silver expecting some sort of pullback.

You can all thank me later when the price duly heads to the moon.

Good call imho.

Even within its parabolic uptrend, its on the ceiling of that uptrend now. but given the context, even the "pullback" might be sideways.

I'm observing from a cash position, and too scared to buy in - so by that logic would sell if I were a holder ... but thats easy to say from the sidelines.

Could get a silver-style pullback though? like in spring this year. GL whatever you decide

Yeap Shiffy has detailed the issues with paper gold and has for some time, told his clients if you want to own gold own the real stuff!!

My issue with physical is selling it quickly when the sh* gets cleaned from the fan. Look back to the 80s when the gold rush ended. Price was falling at least as fast as it rose. how could you quickly sell physical?

I phoned up one of the houses today who I brought the gold through and you can sell it for the price agreed over the phone as long as you get it to the post office and get it to them in two days (recorded delivery), so currently no issues as far as I can tell.

Although when viewing their website to buy, they are saying delivery is now taking longer because of increased demand! :D

Hmm, well i've missed the boat anyway. Whilst waiting for a silver-like pullback, I'm gunna research other homogenous finite useless things to hoard. I'll let you know if I find any.

Tis true, I can always drill a hole in 'em and stick 'em round the wife's neck! :lol:

That's one of the things I did. Bought lots of gold jewellry at auction.

I get gold exposure + tons of brownie points. :)

Tis true, I can always drill a hole in 'em and stick 'em round the wife's neck! :lol:

well, if you go drilling holes in things then you really are writing them off.

The only thing that you could do which is worse is take a blow torch to it and make a lump.

If you want to put something around the wifes neck and it isnt a noose then buy a cheap mount but ffs dont go making holes in stuff :D

It may well be a useless yellow metal that you cant eat but so long as the big boys covet it then the game is on.

If countries, central banks and banks base themselves on the stuff then who am I to argue about whether or not it is useful or edible?

Is it a bubble? No.

Is it overbought? Yes, definitely.

Is it a buy? Not here.

Is it a sell? Only on paper to take profit. I wont be selling coins.

It looks like we're going to burst through $1,900/t.oz tonight. Option Expiry is on Thursday 25th, so I am expecting at least one margin hike over the next couple of days, so don't be surprised if we get a bit of a pull back.

surprised? show me anyone that understands this and isnt waiting for it.

You've been warned today about ad hominems and telling posters they shouldn't post on this thread.

This is an open thread and anyone can post on it.

All ad hominem posts today have been removed.

If the goldbugs want this thread to be for their exclusive use then there is only one place for it to be --- the "Gold " sub forum.

The choice is yours.