House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442

You're right from a certain point of view, but I don't think it matters if it's been demonetised or not, there is a scramble for hard assets and silver is one of the better ones. People will end up buying silver because they can't afford gold, after all it is called "Poor man's gold." The other angle on silver is it's industrial usage and because it's been so cheap for so long, it's been filling landfill sites for decades, we're running out of the stuff. Not only is it marked as one of the first metals to become extinct, it's a strategic metal and it's price will have to rise to reduce supply or at least force people to recycle it. You also have the gold:silver ratio, which will probably drag silver up with gold anyway...

The only problem with silver is it's volatility, you have to have a stomach for it.

I agree there is a case for investing in silver, I was only talking about silver in the context of bullion coins in the UK market.

It seems to me that when compared to the concessions gold has with regard to taxation in the UK its almost as if the UK govt is trying to deter demand in owning physical silver though this is probably due to silvers industrial applications more than anything else in my opinion.

To be honest if silver did not attract VAT I would be stocking up on that aswell, I just like to avoid unfair taxation whenever possible :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

Adam Hamilton at zeallc thinks there is a big short squeeze coming in gold and silver... but when people like that guy above start writing about Mad Max becoming reality don't some of you gold bugs cringe?

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's odd for him, which is why I posted it. I do think he could be right about a wipeout run on inventories coming, though.

Of course, the futures people will just go to cash-settlement, but that means there will be punters with lots of paper and no gold.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I've never really understood why people are so wary of the VAT on silver. When you sell it, you don't sell it minus the VAT, it's lumped into the costs for the next owner. Likewise so is the premium the dealers charge. What I think you're probably saying, is the VAT you paid for that coin, could have bought you 20% more physical silver through either bullionvault.com or goldmoney.com (new website launches today!), as you only pay VAT when you take custody of it. Whilst this is technically true, physical gold and silver in your possession, may be the winning combination.

I have a combination of physical silver and e-silver, just in case...

You are right! The tax on an item in no way alters it's market.

The government can solve all of it's debts worries simply by putting a 15 billion% VAT on silver sales and everything will be just fine.

If only we'd had your penetrating economic analysis earlier, we could have avoided all this unemployment, banker bailouts and depressed economy. Get this man a nobel prize, stat.

HOLA448

You're overtired and you're showing off.

You are right! The tax on an item in no way alters it's market.

The government can solve all of it's debts worries simply by putting a 15 billion% VAT on silver sales and everything will be just fine.

If only we'd had your penetrating economic analysis earlier, we could have avoided all this unemployment, banker bailouts and depressed economy. Get this man a nobel prize, stat.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You misrepresented my previous comment and now you're calling me an idiot for "pretending" I said something I didn't??? Not only are you infantile, you're a ******wit.

Everything you've ever written on the thread has been wrong. You believe in the binding of history, chartism, intrinsic value and a whole load of other stuff that's not been considered true by anyone with more than a passing interest in economics for at least 90 years.

I mock you for it.

My suggestion? Stop posting stuff that's wrong.

HOLA4414

Everything you've ever written on the thread has been wrong.

lol. How can you possibly say that? You clearly have a lot of time on your hands if you've been back through the entire thread reading every post.

Anyway, at least we've now established that you seem to take pleasure in mocking people.

It really beggars belief that you even bother to post here, to be honest. Why bother posting when all of us are just writing 'stuff that's wrong'?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Nope, I called you a ******wit and that is most certainly correct.

Everything you've ever written on the thread has been wrong. You believe in the binding of history, chartism, intrinsic value and a whole load of other stuff that's not been considered true by anyone with more than a passing interest in economics for at least 90 years.

I mock you for it.

My suggestion? Stop posting stuff that's wrong.

HOLA4417

Signs of global recovery so PMs fall due to fears of IRs rising.

Sorry for being thick - is that people selling PM in order to prepare for the possibility of paying back debt ASAP if IR's do rise? :)

HOLA4418

Sorry for being thick - is that people selling PM in order to prepare for the possibility of paying back debt ASAP if IR's do rise? :)

lol wut!?

The 'price' we see is not determined by a few people selling or buying their pm's. Despite backwardation and shortages, the price is set by a paper-fight between margin players on the Comex, and how much paper each side has determines the price.

If IR's change, then one side or the other finds it harder to fund their margins and the price changes.

I heard it said today -- why do we need a gold futures market any way?

HOLA4419

lol. How can you possibly say that? You clearly have a lot of time on your hands if you've been back through the entire thread reading every post.

I've read the thread because i've been here since the start of it and I have this thing called "a memory."

Anyway, at least we've now established that you seem to take pleasure in mocking people.

Nope.

It really beggars belief that you even bother to post here, to be honest. Why bother posting when all of us are just writing 'stuff that's wrong'?

To correct it for those who are reading it and have two braincells to rub together who you might lead down a dark alley because you appear to have knowledge when what you have is nonsense.

I also enjoy deconstructing ********. It's fun for me. Give me something like "gold is money and nothing else" and I am happy as anything taking it apart.

HOLA4420

lol wut!?

The 'price' we see is not determined by a few people selling or buying their pm's. Despite backwardation and shortages, the price is set by a paper-fight between margin players on the Comex, and how much paper each side has determines the price.

If IR's change, then one side or the other finds it harder to fund their margins and the price changes.

I heard it said today -- why do we need a gold futures market any way?

The people who manipulate the gold market via the CB's don't give a toss about IR's or anything else.

They can keep messing with the price of absolutely anything until the CB's themselves collapse.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Transvestites. I am working on a theory that it is transvestites and not lizard people who control the price of gold.

He He, but unlikely. Unless there's some gang of TV's out there who represent a serious fraction of the Open Interest at the Comex.

HOLA4423

Stanley Ross Eluded Nazi Bombs to Transform World Bond Markets

Ross offered a bet that gold will double to $2,600 or more an ounce within 12 months. He wonders whether he should have made it a two-year bet, then reconsiders.

“No, no, we’ve done the deal,” he said, ever the trader. “Das ist gemacht. You’re done.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-25/stanley-ross-eluded-nazi-bombs-to-transform-world-bond-markets.html

HOLA4424

Stanley Ross Eluded Nazi Bombs to Transform World Bond Markets

Ross offered a bet that gold will double to $2,600 or more an ounce within 12 months. He wonders whether he should have made it a two-year bet, then reconsiders.

“No, no, we’ve done the deal,” he said, ever the trader. “Das ist gemacht. You’re done.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-25/stanley-ross-eluded-nazi-bombs-to-transform-world-bond-markets.html

I made a bet that Red Rum would win a horse race once but I have never owned a horse.

HOLA4425