House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

Ah but it does, humans need and desire financial security. Gold, as well as other things such as paper money, land, gems, art etc provide financial security.

Can we move on yet?

Why does something that no one wants provide you with financial security?

Compared to (for example) things that they actually do want?

HOLA442
HOLA443

Nobody wants gold?

For the gold itself very, very few people even amongst those who have gold.*

How much GBP would someone give for an ounce of gold today?

Not the issue, nor what's being asked.

*Edit - I am basing this off the goldbugs responses, fwiw. none of them actually want gold for the gold, none of them can give me any human need gold can fulfil, none of them can point me to any organic market demand for gold. On the face of it, gold is always a bubble.

Edited by Injin

HOLA444

*Edit - I am basing this off the goldbugs responses, fwiw. none of them actually want gold for the gold, none of them can give me any human need gold can fulfil, none of them can point me to any organic market demand for gold. On the face of it, gold is always a bubble.

Seems this troll has an enormous appetite

You've had enough answers to your dumb question, sod off and annoy someone else.

HOLA445

Seems this troll has an enormous appetite

You've had enough answers to your dumb question, sod off and annoy someone else.

I've had no answer to my question - apart from a few honest souls who tell me no one is interested in gold at all.

I take it you are another punter who is looking for a greater fool then themself?

HOLA446

I've had no answer to my question - apart from a few honest souls who tell me no one is interested in gold at all.

I take it you are another punter who is looking for a greater fool then themself?

I'm interested in gold. It is shiny and can be used to make cool/interesting/desirable jewellery.

Many people want it in order to look special.

From my travels around the world, I've seen it is desired by a great variety of people and I can swap a small amount for something I can use.

I can't think of anything else which combines many of its convenient aspects (globally swappable, legal, durable).

I'm happy to be paid in gold.

HOLA447
HOLA448

If by 'punter' you mean have made six figure gains through my investments in PM's over the last 10 years, then yes, I am that fool :) No end of people out there who want what I've got and willing to pay a premium to get it. Demand has never been better

HOLA449

If by 'punter' you mean have made six figure gains through my investments in PM's over the last 10 years, then yes, I am that fool :) No end of people out there who want what I've got and willing to pay a premium to get it. Demand has never been better

So you've taken other peoples money by giving them something they didn't really want?

How edifying.

No wonder basic questions are treated so badly.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm interested in gold. It is shiny and can be used to make cool/interesting/desirable jewellery.

Many people want it in order to look special.

From my travels around the world, I've seen it is desired by a great variety of people and I can swap a small amount for something I can use.

I can't think of anything else which combines many of its convenient aspects (globally swappable, legal, durable).

I'm happy to be paid in gold.

Excellent answer, thank you.

I can't see the actual price being demanded matching up to this set of criteria, however. There are other PM's without the sentiment issues.

HOLA4412

In most peoples hands gold is useless, but that's not the point of it.

Can we move on?

Edited by killerbee

HOLA4413

I can't see the actual price being demanded matching up to this set of criteria, however. There are other PM's without the sentiment issues.

Now you have acknowledged gold has at least some use for some of it, i am sure the vast amount of it is just in storage to make someone feel safe because of its physical value.

HOLA4414

Now you have acknowledged gold has at least some use for some of it, i am sure the vast amount of it is just in storage to make someone feel safe because of its physical value.

What do you mean, "now"?

First thing I said was jewlers and some industrial use, but couldn't see any reason for the wider demand.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Once we have facts, we can formulate strategy.

First fact (I think everyone is agreed upon) is that gold is a permanent bubble.

A permanent bubble suggests it's fairly reliable, I can agree with your first fact.

Edited by killerbee

HOLA4417

A permanent bubble suggests it's fairly reliable, yes we are agreed!

Sure.

The only thing that could stop it being a bubble is if the general population starts to think a bit.

Not too likely in my lifetime. However, it does mean that to hold gold is to be anti empirical and anti rational to continue to profit.

HOLA4418

Sure.

The only thing that could stop it being a bubble is if the general population starts to think a bit.

Not too likely in my lifetime. However, it does mean that to hold gold is to be anti empirical and anti rational to continue to profit.

Fine, does this mean we're moving on?

HOLA4419

Fine, does this mean we're moving on?

It means that everyone who wants a more rational world and happier people in it who doesn't actually want and enjoy gold for the gold itself shouldn't have any.

So I know what I will be doing. I don't consider us to be a we, though really. You aren't in the same league as I am, frankly. Probably not the same sport, even.

HOLA4420

It means that everyone who wants a more rational world and happier people in it who doesn't actually want and enjoy gold for the gold itself shouldn't have any.

So I know what I will be doing. I don't consider us to be a we, though really. You aren't in the same league as I am, frankly. Probably not the same sport, even.

I agree, you are in a league of your own.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

... to hold gold is to be anti empirical ...

I have observed your experiment and am prepared to be guided by practical experience.

Perhaps a broadening of the investigation would be helpful.

Considering one context in which the subject under investigation is a factor, can anyone summarise:

a. why central banks were thought to be necessary

b. why co-operation among them evolved

c. what developments would render them or their current function obsolete.?

HOLA4423

Uses of gold & reasons why others may want a position in it too.

Most cell phones, computers, calculators, television, and other electronic items contain gold.

Gold is used in window glass and astronaut helmets to reflect infrared rays while allowing sunlight to pass through.

Gold is a good conductor of electricity and heat.

There is a monetary system called the ‘gold standard’ which fixes a unit of money to a certain weight of gold.

Injectable gold has been proven to help reduce pain and swelling in patients suffering from tuberculosis and rheumatoid arthritis.

Gold won't tarnish, rust, or corrode and is very strong when alloyed. In fact, it is also surprisingly the most malleable of all metals.

Gold melts at 1064.43° Centigrade. It can conduct both heat and electricity and it never rusts.

Dentists use about 2 per cent of the gold mined each year (about 60 tons). A gold crown is usually 75 per cent gold, with a mixture of silver, palladium and zinc to harden it.

All the world's gold and platinum ore came from outer space after a mammoth meteorite shower battered the Earth more than four billion years ago.

Nearly one billion cell phones are produced each year and most of them contain about fifty cents worth of gold. Their average lifetime is under two years and very few are currently recycled

HOLA4424
HOLA4425