House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

Gold will continue to trickle up at the rate of about RPI+ 2% (true inflation?) for the foreseeable future.

Silver will possibly outperform Gold as it is getting scarcer and is used in more and more industrial processes

All this talk of a break out to $2,000 or a drop back to $1,100 is complete finger in the air stuff. it might or it might not (based on manipulation/ investor sentiment) but it shouldn't really

Simples

Edited by JohnLennon

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Ultimately I expect $5000+ an ounce - but what it does between now and then is pointless to discuss.

I expect to see that too....about the time that I retire. I have holdings that will be for then or seed money for children so, for the coinage, what happens in between is pointless.

But, for anyone else that isnt holding to retirement $5k is a long way off and moves up and down are all but irrelevant

HOLA446

His previous forecast in 2009 was OK?

I thought you might like that his danger to this latest forecast being that gold would break higher not lower.

I like nadeem, he doesnt get everything right but he does well.

I also like armstrong, he tells it like it is much to the irritation of many permabulls

HOLA447
HOLA448

I expect to see that too....about the time that I retire. I have holdings that will be for then or seed money for children so, for the coinage, what happens in between is pointless.

But, for anyone else that isnt holding to retirement $5k is a long way off and moves up and down are all but irrelevant

Wow you guys just get that ?

HOLA449

Geithner ruled out "fire sale" sales of stock it still owns in companies bailed out during the financial crisis; he also said it made no sense to raise money by selling gold held in U.S. reserves.

"Although the U.S. Government owns other assets, such as gold, there are prudential or

legal limitations on its ability to sell these assets. Selling the Nation’s gold to meet payment

obligations would undercut confidence in the United States both here and abroad, and would be

extremely destabilizing to the world financial system."

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/31/news/economy/debt-ceiling-fiscal-cliff/

:lol:

HOLA4410

This still on course:

The monthly chart of Gold shows the yellow metal in a very healthy consolidation between $1550 and $1800. Gold’s current retreat from $1800 has lasted two months. Back in 2009, Gold brokeout to a new all-time high in the seventh month of its consolidation. Presently, Gold’s bollinger band width is at a multi-year low and its three-month volume average is at a two year low. Also, the RSI has bottomed and made a higher low. Even if Gold touched $1600, it would remain in healthy position for a breakout in 2013.

goldmonth.png

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

$1000 gold

$18 silver

B)

You've made 18,977 posts since 12-August 07

That's roughly 3,795 posts per annum.

About 10 posts per day *every day* for the past 5 years.

You can't have missed the posts above asking for a timeframe for your prediction.

Yet you don't answer.

HOLA4420

I grant you <South African Accent>diplomatic immunity</South African Accent>.

Spill the beans.

I've got a feeling in my water. Had it since start December. It doesn't happen very often but it may signal a shift in the relative strength of the various asset classes.

And the relationship between the various assets may no longer follow the patterns we have become used to in the last few years.

I don't want to go into it any more in case I offend anyone who is tied to an opinion. (As a trend follower, I don't actually need to act on it.)

All I would say is, pay particular attention to the behaviour of the various key asset classes over this next year for signals.

HOLA4421

I've got a feeling in my water. Had it since start December. It doesn't happen very often but it may signal a shift in the relative strength of the various asset classes.

And the relationship between the various assets may no longer follow the patterns we have become used to in the last few years.

I don't want to go into it any more in case I offend anyone who is tied to an opinion. (As a trend follower, I don't actually need to act on it.)

All I would say is, pay particular attention to the behaviour of the various key asset classes over this next year for signals.

I've been feeling uneasy from 'counterintuitive' price action ever since the US downgrade. If you are deliberately inflating your currency it is a good idea to prevent the proles getting fanciful ideas about alternatives to fiat currency.

When gold dropped 100 dollars instead of breaking out from 1800 to new highs last year the action was clear manipulation. The inexplicable sell off from the 1700's straight down upon the news of QE4 when other so called 'risk on' assets roared was blatant. Huge money printing to directly monetize the US deficit is bearish? The sell off in the last few days is also highly suspect. On both of the previous occasions gold was due to breakout to higher levels technically.

Underneath the gold price and paper leverage lies the physical metal. That appears to be travelling one way, from West to East. Western demand for metal is irrelevant really.

The rumours are central banks are running out of gold to 'lease'. It was of course Alan Greenspan who said that central banks stand willing to lease gold into the markets in increasing quantities to control the gold price. They are clearly trying their best to quell demand in these extraordinary times.

Not all of us greet every smash with pleasure like Errol! :)

HOLA4422

Indeed. Try the last 40 odd years. We are looking at the collapse of paper, fully elastic money (and unprecedented experiment and not the norm at all). Gold is one of the only refuges.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4423

Is it anything to do with this?

Last year the number of ounces of gold to buy a US house dropped below a level last seen about 30 years ago. Since then money has drained from gold and gone into property.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425