House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441

What is your protection against a forced devaluation which is instant inflation. Clearly only nutters are 100% PM's but everyone should have it as part of their portfolio.

What would be your portfolio allocation to gold and then other investments?

What about those "nutters" who STRed and went 100% into cash?

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

HOLA442

I think this thread has been here before (numerous times) when it was pointed out gold was a real terms loser during the high inflation 80s. The only thing about gold and inflation is the total lack of correlation. At one point last year gold was 25% up year on year. It is what -20% plus year on year now? Not really following inflation is it?

Interest rates were considerably higher in the 1980s and that made cash very attractive.

HOLA443

I think this thread has been here before (numerous times) when it was pointed out gold was a real terms loser during the high inflation 80s. The only thing about gold and inflation is the total lack of correlation. At one point last year gold was 25% up year on year. It is what -20% plus year on year now? Not really following inflation is it?

Okay then, gold is a hedge against hyperinflation

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

What would be your portfolio allocation to gold and then other investments?

What about those "nutters" who STRed and went 100% into cash?

Each to their own, its not for me to say what is right for anyone percentage wise but having all your assets in a single asset class is risky. Anyone who was wholly 100% in cash has paid the price for lack of diversification by missing out on opportunity. They have also of course not taken quite as much risk. I own PM's but moving 100% into PM's at this level would seem to be extremely risky or do you disagree ?

HOLA448
What a cretinous statement to make

Confusion will always enter these debates whilst RPI/CPI is classed as a measure of inflation.

They are not measures of inflation, they are price indices, and only measure price rises.

Inflation is the devaluation of the common currency. Prices do rise, but that just reflects the weakness of the currency.

Price rises are a consequence of inflation, not the cause.

The relationship between currency debasement, by printy printy, and the price of gold (pog), is reflected in the pog.

I accept the pog is a barometer of inflation, others don't see it that way. Tough on them in my opinion.

..._

Edited by DiggerUK

HOLA449

Confusion will always enter these debates whilst RPI/CPI is classed as a measure of inflation.

They are not measures of inflation, they are price indices, and only measure price rises.

Inflation is the devaluation of the common currency. Prices do rise, but that just reflects the weakness of the currency.

Price rises are a consequence of inflation, not the cause.

The relationship between currency debasement, by printy printy, and the price of gold (pog), is reflected in the pog.

I accept the pog is a barometer of inflation, others don't see it that way. Tough on them in my opinion.

..._

Even if you accept that inflation is an increase in the money supply there still isn't a correlation between inflation and the price of gold.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Are you disputing gold doesn't go up in value when the economy experiences negative real interest rates?

Nope, I am asking for evidence of it.

Now, stop trying (pathetically) to reverse the burden of proof and show me something more than the chip on your shoulder.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Why should I spend the next 2 hours collating data to produce graphs just to prove to you something that everyone else already accepts. It's your minority view, you prove it.

Nope, I am asking for evidence of it.

Now, stop trying (pathetically) to reverse the burden of proof and show me something more than the chip on your shoulder.

HOLA4422

Apparently the price of gold in 1900 was $20, so today's price of $1670 seems to roughly show that.

:lol::lol:

Nope.

Why should I spend the next 2 hours collating data to produce graphs just to prove to you something that everyone else already accepts. It's your minority view, you prove it.

Why not instead spend two minutes, realise it's a load of cobblers you've just accepted as gospel without checking and admit you are wrong?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425