House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
On 27/05/2021 at 23:55, warpig said:

Good job I've got a shit load of silver! :)

May I ask, do you buy physical delivered, or with storage in vault elsewhere, or ETF backed by physical? Does VAT due to not being legal tender influence your decision? Asking as I'm only ETF backed by physical for silver.

On 17/06/2021 at 17:58, Warlord said:

Gold actually has a use moron, you can make stuff with it ...  will always have a value in the market . Not bothered 

Disagree. I just bought a bitcoin necklace with the pendant in the well known graphic design for bitcoin. It's made of gold which is pretty cool.

HOLA442
32 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

May I ask, do you buy physical delivered, or with storage in vault elsewhere, or ETF backed by physical? Does VAT due to not being legal tender influence your decision? Asking as I'm only ETF backed by physical for silver.

Disagree. I just bought a bitcoin necklace with the pendant in the well known graphic design for bitcoin. It's made of gold which is pretty cool.

What's up, a bit of slow day on the covid vaccine deaths news? 

HOLA443
46 minutes ago, markyh said:

What's up, a bit of slow day on the covid vaccine deaths news? 

Wrong thread. You might vie for the glamour but it's not all about the deaths. There are 1.5 million Adverse reactions on the under-reporting EudraVigilance system for people who had the real thing in their syringes, half of which are serious.

For the UK (apart form Yellow card) there are more syndromic Ambulance calls in the UK now than there were at the peak in Dec 2020, with Cardiac & respiratory arrests now at mid Dec 2020 levels, and it's worse than that in other ways. I might post about that later on the relevant thread, but this post from you, who supported modern medicine using the word "ail" to describe the benefits of modern drugs isn't making me feel as rushed as you should to use a dictionary.

HOLA444
3 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

Indeed you may! I had silver with goldmoney and bullionvault in various vaults all over the world, I now only have physical silver. People get het up about VAT... but that's part of the sale price, so I don't even think about it. I do have a reasonable number of silver Britannias because of the CGT liability, but the bulk of it is in bars. My view on ETF's is some of them are OK... Sprott's as an example... however... at some point you'd want physical possession and that time might be closer than you think. Peak silver is 2025-2030 and that was based on 2017 mining data, which is now a shadow of its former self. Possession is 9/10 of the law!

HOLA445
23 minutes ago, warpig said:

Indeed you may! I had silver with goldmoney and bullionvault in various vaults all over the world, I now only have physical silver. People get het up about VAT... but that's part of the sale price, so I don't even think about it. I do have a reasonable number of silver Britannias because of the CGT liability, but the bulk of it is in bars. My view on ETF's is some of them are OK... Sprott's as an example... however... at some point you'd want physical possession and that time might be closer than you think. Peak silver is 2025-2030 and that was based on 2017 mining data, which is now a shadow of its former self. Possession is 9/10 of the law!

Useful information thanks. My only thing on vaults (assuming you don't pay a trip there in a suit with a brief case to drop it off) is that it's all communicated over the internet, so I assume keeping paper records at the least is important / sufficient. Silver Britannias are CGT exempt, I see. I have heard of Sprotts I think they recently bought a lot of Silver.

Edited by Arpeggio

HOLA446
HOLA447
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA448
HOLA449
  • 5 weeks later...
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Another tube of 25 sovereigns is incoming shortly. Crypto is certainly a Kingmaker, but I always like to diversify a bit.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
2 minutes ago, Warlord said:

I dont care about the daily ups and downs @MonsieurCopperCrutch. I wont be selling my gold for a looong time unless I really need to.

It'll preserve its value over time, as always

Wow that sounds suspicipusly like another asset class. What do you say @markyh and @goldbug9999? 🤣🤣🤣👍

HOLA4417
17 hours ago, Huggy said:

Another tube of 25 sovereigns is incoming shortly. Crypto is certainly a Kingmaker, but I always like to diversify a bit.

If crypto keeps on with its rise and Silver keeps a falling, I might be tempted to use my crypto to buy some silver Britannia’s again…it’s just calling the respective prices!

HOLA4418
43 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

If crypto keeps on with its rise and Silver keeps a falling, I might be tempted to use my crypto to buy some silver Britannia’s again…it’s just calling the respective prices!

I really should lower my crypto exposure and rebalance more as it's something like 50/10/10 Crypto/Gold/Silver right now with the remainder in 'Other'. I just look at the crypto balance as an easy come easy go part of the portfolio and I really don't want to miss out on the chance of £1m per coin and early retirement.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425