House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
27 minutes ago, warpig said:

Let's not make this the Peter Schiff thread, think it's time this thread was brought back on topic.

I wonder whether gold has now topped... I'm calling it.

I am no good at calling stuff like this, but my gut says it is close to peaking. I will be waiting for a few hundred dollars pullback before getting any more.

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

I am no good at calling stuff like this, but my gut says it is close to peaking. I will be waiting for a few hundred dollars pullback before getting any more.

You could invest in gold miners if your comfortable with owning shares

HOLA443
15 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

1900 ish then, if you’re lucky, 1650-1750. Not going to be any bigger than that.

HOLA444
40 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

It's just a guess... but it felt like gold was starting to run out of steam. I'm wondering now the EU's €1.82 trillion Covid19 recovery deal is priced in whether that's it for now... either way and as you say... it doesn't have long before it pulls back.

HOLA445

If you look at the 2007 crash, it went from around 350 to 1100 at the peak, then dropped back to around 750 before another leg up to around 1000 in 2016 in GBP. The leg up in 2016 was due to the pound dropping in Brexit IIRC.

If you assume this leg has the same format as the 2008 crash, then it should top out at around 4x the start price (1000) in about 3 years from now with possible dips in the region of 10-15% or so along the way.

However previous performance is no guarantee of future performance, and my guess is that if thinks like a no deal Brexit happens it will add 10% pretty much overnight. Similarly some sort of major covid development could send it one way or another.

So to summarise, I don't have a clue.

HOLA446
HOLA447
5 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

If you look at the 2007 crash, it went from around 350 to 1100 at the peak, then dropped back to around 750 before another leg up to around 1000 in 2016 in GBP. The leg up in 2016 was due to the pound dropping in Brexit IIRC.

If you assume this leg has the same format as the 2008 crash, then it should top out at around 4x the start price (1000) in about 3 years from now with possible dips in the region of 10-15% or so along the way.

This is not 2008. This is 2005 ish

£ didn’t fall due to Brexit. ?

And, yes.

Edited by Killer Bunny

HOLA448
6 hours ago, warpig said:

Define "topped"

If you mean that this leg up might run out of steam, then you could be right.

Maybe if it breaks the all time dollar high, it can go on, but if it treads water for a while it might go back to $17** for a bit.

But if you are looking out 3 to 5 years from now I think it still has a long way to go.  I don't want to make extreme predictions, but on a 5-10 year time frame $5k does not seem unrealistically.

HOLA449
1 hour ago, reddog said:

Define "topped"

If you mean that this leg up might run out of steam, then you could be right.

Maybe if it breaks the all time dollar high, it can go on, but if it treads water for a while it might go back to $17** for a bit.

But if you are looking out 3 to 5 years from now I think it still has a long way to go.  I don't want to make extreme predictions, but on a 5-10 year time frame $5k does not seem unrealistically.

I only mean an interim top where long term resistance is met temporarily, before turning to support. I still believe a cup and handle chart formation is appearing and the net result will be a much higher price of gold in the near future, but not just yet. Once the handle forms it will go through IMO. Having said that - it's possible it doesn't pullback for some time... there is so much happening to propel gold ever higher, that I wouldn't be surprised. I would say the odds are in favour of a pullback and a sizeable one too. 

I've always said $5k is a given, I'm now starting to think $7k or perhaps even $10k is possible. Gold's only just getting going...

Edited by warpig

HOLA4410
6 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

However previous performance is no guarantee of future performance, and my guess is that if thinks like a no deal Brexit happens it will add 10% pretty much overnight. Similarly some sort of major covid development could send it one way or another.

That would give around $5,500 by late 2023, which might be possible. I'm thinking around 2025, but your opinion is as valid as mine. 

If it's any consolation - neither do the government or the BOE... :)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 23/07/2020 at 14:09, warpig said:

Let's not make this the Peter Schiff thread, think it's time this thread was brought back on topic.

as I said before, as we are now approaching all time highs there is likely to be a massive wall of resistance around $1930-1950.

I'm not expecting it to break first time around.

spot spice will probably correct from there back down to $1750 or so. Miners I think will still be quite robust..looks like they will be coming in considerably ahead of estimates .

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

wouldn't surprise me if uncle sam reports some better than expected earnings this Q just to take the heat out of the market a bit,that would cause a bit of a flight into risk/stocks and keep the dow/s&p bubble well inflated.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Warlord said:

Anyone buying or selling Gold at this point?

I'm just hodling for now and enjoying the ride. I thought it was too pricey to buy again so I'm keeping my powder dry.

giving some serious thought to offloading a little bit,maybe about 25% or so of my holdings. i got in on that about $1300 an oz with the exchange rate at $1.75 is, so I've done about a 3 bagger on it...that basically pays for the ride from hereon in.

I basically have return on investment(minus inflation)..I will put that to work in other areas...looking at an electric car soon,so maybe a powerwall might be a good investment

...the remainder will stay put for the moonshot!