House Price Crash Forum

Gold strategy in the current economy

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The Fed rate change has not put anything to rights, gold is going up in all currencies, and we are beyond our all time high. 

Sterling was buying a dollar 21 before the change, and still is. Best analysis I can offer is that this seasons three horse currency race to the knackers yard, has sterling ahead of the euro by a short head, who are both a length ahead of the US dollar.

No wonder Trump is belligerent for more, and bigger, drops..._

Edit, on the LBMA gold fix chart I have the high as £1182.823 for the pm fix on  06th Sep 2011. Anybody have the spot high?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
37 minutes ago, reddog said:

Gold went through all time high in the last 24 hours, yet I can't find any articles in the press about it, am I missing something?  (Not saying it is a conspiracy, just British business journalist are useless)

Presumably the powers that be have been on the phone to the press/media to tell them not to make too much fuss about the all time record Sterling highs. After all, you can't have people knowing that the value of their paper currency is melting away.

HOLA449
4 hours ago, reddog said:

Anyone willing to make any one year price predictions?  Will it hit the all time high in USD in the next year?

After U.S presidential election I reckon it's nailed on....

HOLA4410

We all regard gold as the ultimate safe haven, markets tend to go for bonds. Bonds may not be big payers at the moment, but the marketeers are buying more. Begs the question.....

Some of that will have been given added impetus because of the trade spat between US and China. Apart from the fact that increased bond buying didn't start last week..._

"£2.4bn flowed into bonds during June – taking this year’s total inflows to almost £6bn – according to figures released by the Investment Association (IA). This included net retail sales of £1.1bn for UK Strategic Bond funds – the largest inflows since November 2017."

https://www.cityam.com/uk-bonds-bounce-back-in-june-as-equity-funds-lose-out/

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, DiggerUK said:

We all regard gold as the ultimate safe haven, markets tend to go for bonds. Bonds may not be big payers at the moment, but the marketeers are buying more. Begs the question.....

Some of that will have been given added impetus because of the trade spat between US and China. Apart from the fact that increased bond buying didn't start last week..._

"£2.4bn flowed into bonds during June – taking this year’s total inflows to almost £6bn – according to figures released by the Investment Association (IA). This included net retail sales of £1.1bn for UK Strategic Bond funds – the largest inflows since November 2017."

https://www.cityam.com/uk-bonds-bounce-back-in-june-as-equity-funds-lose-out/

What has this post got to do with Gold.??

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 02/08/2019 at 16:41, reddog said:

Gold went through all time high in the last 24 hours, yet I can't find any articles in the press about it, am I missing something?  (Not saying it is a conspiracy, just British business journalist are useless)

There's no conspiracy - gold just isn't a vehicle for speculation for the masses like stocks or real estate, so it doesn't get the coverage.

People don't want to read about things that plod upwards.

UK and USA now are like Japan at the end of the 80s. All forms of gambling/speculation are off the charts; PMs are 'boring' so they get no attention.

For those who have a bit of 'common' and a bit of patience (not a characteristic of the gambler, and certainly not a character trait that is held in esteem any longer as we slide deeper into decadence) gold has been a nice little earner on the QT for a few years now against many FIAT currencies.

HOLA4415
On 02/08/2019 at 17:10, reddog said:

Anyone willing to make any one year price predictions?  Will it hit the all time high in USD in the next year?

My bet is 60% yes. 40% no, but it will within 3-4 years.

I've been following Gold since 2004 so I've been expecting it to go to a moon for years.

Essentially its a matter of if the fed has any more tricks up its sleeve to surpress price - which they may have exhaused now, but don't underestimate them.

HOLA4416
On 03/08/2019 at 11:48, stud said:

Where do people see the price of Gold in GBP next week above £1200 per try Oz.??

Any calls for where the price is going this week.?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
On 03/08/2019 at 09:42, stud said:

What has this post got to do with Gold.??

At times of economic stress safe havens are sought, gold and bonds are two options. Most on this thread choose gold, but it is not a universal choice.

With the price of gold climbing, and money also going in to bonds, our discussions tend to be of the opinion that something ain't quite right. Capitalism is damned good at surviving, how they do that usually involves collateral damage. What we hope to do is avoid being damaged.

Good here, innit..._ 

Edit, spot has just gone over £1200..._

Edited by DiggerUK

HOLA4420

Just to say that i got cought up in the last gold frenzy , i was buying at 700 to 800 pounds.  Maybe about 30%+ of my savings and never sold.  Probably would have liquidised if they were in and EFT , but dumping physical if a pain.

On reflection i wish i had put it into stocks.  DOW looks to be on a a good uptrend over time and i cant see that changing  (certainly for the medium term).

I was just praying for all the calls of 5000$ and to the moon calls.  I just wanted a home at the time.

HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, dirtyduck said:

Just to say that i got cought up in the last gold frenzy , i was buying at 700 to 800 pounds.  Maybe about 30%+ of my savings and never sold.  Probably would have liquidised if they were in and EFT , but dumping physical if a pain.

On reflection i wish i had put it into stocks.  DOW looks to be on a a good uptrend over time and i cant see that changing  (certainly for the medium term).

I was just praying for all the calls of 5000$ and to the moon calls.  I just wanted a home at the time.

Why is dumping physical Gold a pain ...I can walk 1.5 miles into my local town and sell my physical Gold in whatever form in at least 9 different places for immediate cash settlement. Can you explain why you had such a problem selling your Gold.??

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, DiggerUK said:

At times of economic stress safe havens are sought, gold and bonds are two options. Most on this thread choose gold, but it is not a universal choice.

With the price of gold climbing, and money also going in to bonds, our discussions tend to be of the opinion that something ain't quite right. Capitalism is damned good at surviving, how they do that usually involves collateral damage. What we hope to do is avoid being damaged.

Good here, innit..._ 

Edit, spot has just gone over £1200..._

Not suprising really as the thread is called ...Gold strategy in the current economy .....Why don't you start a thread ....Bond strategy in the current economy.... and post and wax lyrical about investing in bonds there.!!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 minutes ago, stud said:

Why is dumping physical Gold a pain ...I can walk 1.5 miles into my local town and sell my physical Gold in whatever form in at least 9 different places for immediate cash settlement. Can you explain why you had such a problem selling your Gold.??

Not sure where you are but my best offer was bullionbypost who buy back at á 2% of purchase price (i cant remember the exact tbh).  But just for people reading...you ofc pay a premium above spot for your coins ect.  The best i purchased were old sovereigns as they have more collectable value, but wayy above spot. 

However the main point being dont put your eggs in one basket.  The 10% rule is probably best.  Buy 10% gold and forget about it - the best case scenario , youll never need it and pass it on to your kids when your dead.  If you start throwing everything at gold in the hope of a big win, your nuts.  Just my opinion and i still like my shiny, its mine , all mine.

HOLA4425
33 minutes ago, dirtyduck said:

Not sure where you are but my best offer was bullionbypost who buy back at á 2% of purchase price (i cant remember the exact tbh).  But just for people reading...you ofc pay a premium above spot for your coins ect.  The best i purchased were old sovereigns as they have more collectable value, but wayy above spot. 

However the main point being dont put your eggs in one basket.  The 10% rule is probably best.  Buy 10% gold and forget about it - the best case scenario , youll never need it and pass it on to your kids when your dead.  If you start throwing everything at gold in the hope of a big win, your nuts.  Just my opinion and i still like my shiny, its mine , all mine.

I would recommend anyone UK centric to work with either the dealers in the Jewelery Quarter in Hockley which is obviously central  or the dealers in Hatton Garden in London.Eventhough a 1.5 mile walk would be an easy and quick way for me to liquidate my metal ....it would be more than worth my while for buying and selling purposes to go to one of the above ....as my purchase spread would me minimised and my sell price would be much higher than my local town would give me.