HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Although the talking heads are making noises, none of them are on target.

The geopolitical areas of concern are the same old, same old. US/Iran contretemps are a lot of noise and are nothing more than headlines for the hack pack. So no change  there, certainly no reason to get buyers scuttling off to the gold shop.

The oil  price has picked up, but is way down on 12 months ago. Again, this is no reason to rush off buying gold.

The worlds bourses are not crashing and burning either, they are still healthy when looked at over the last 12 months.  So, no urgency to buy gold and put investment portfolios in a defensive position.

'Safe haven government bonds' haven't  provided spectacular returns since I can't remember when and is the norm, so no panic selling of bonds to get into gold.

The NY Fed has hinted it will ease interest rates, and it is hard to find any enthusiasm to raise rates elsewhere. So just why has the gold price got here, and stayed here since last xmas?

All in all, it just seems normal, except for the gold price.

Smells like trouble..._

HOLA449

Mind you, it could just be down to the fx rates. 

Five years ago sterling got $USD 1.70, a year ago it was buying $USD1.30, and today It gets you $USD1.25.

So getting close to £1090 an ounce isn't such a big deal.....unless you are in the UK..._ ?

Edited by DiggerUK

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

China and Russia buy all domestic mined gold. Smart move when you think about it, all they need to do is print the payment. Their ratio of gold in fx reserves is under 3% in China, and about 17% in Russia. As it is easier for China to obtain USD trading with the US than it is for Russia, I suspect that explains the different ratios.

As the gold doesn't go to the world market it suppresses supply, and as they don't appear to buy much on the world market it wont raise the demand side much. The only deliberate mistake  in that argument is China encourages it's citizens to hold gold, which does come from the rest of the world.

Will be interesting to see the next announcement on China's official gold reserves..._

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

As US base rates are 2.0%, and UK  rates are 0.75%, it's possible it may top the 2011 high. It could be that the US problems may need more than a drop in base rates to get  sorted. 

But as Trump has an election to win in 2020, he will be pulling out all the stops to boom the economy. One way for him to work the oracle is to get rates down and somehow sugar rush the economy.

Lets see how the 'independent' NY Fed handles some Trump strong arming..._

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
21 minutes ago, Freki said:

www.gold.co.uk has a spread of 5% between buying and selling

*5% is too high. Atkinsons and Elm Investments are much better. 

I have used both..._

* Edit. Sorry, if you mean total spread then that's about par...

Edited by DiggerUK

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
4 hours ago, ftb_fml said:

Anyone care to speculate as to why gold has suddenly started rocketing in price?

I'm sure HPC can do better than my simple gut feeling that "people are starting to get worried"..

Looks like US interest rates will be going down, and maybe QE starting again if there is a sniff of a recession?

Also a possible Chinese currency devaluation?

HOLA4419
4 hours ago, reddog said:

..........maybe QE starting again if there is a sniff of a recession? Also a possible Chinese currency devaluation?

Simple truth is, that however bizarre QE may seem to us deplorables, it is a damned effective way of kicking the can.

China may devalue, it is a privilege that is still  under their control, US will have plenty to say on the subject mind you. Something we should keep our eye on..._

Edit.  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-markets-yuan-pboc/chinas-central-bank-wont-let-yuan-weaken-past-7-to-the-dollar-sources-idUSKCN1SN0NT

Edited by DiggerUK

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, Roman Roady said:

Its a new paradigm and its different this time!

Do you mean that somebody  at the Fed FOMC meeting in three weeks will say "I can see a problem here that we must deal with before it gets out of hand"

Neat idea, I love it; no more boom or bust..._

Edit, POG @  £1135 an ounce. £GBP gets you $USD 1.25

Edited by DiggerUK

HOLA4425
On 20/06/2019 at 16:10, DiggerUK said:

Although the talking heads are making noises, none of them are on target.

The geopolitical areas of concern are the same old, same old. US/Iran contretemps are a lot of noise and are nothing more than headlines for the hack pack. So no change  there, certainly no reason to get buyers scuttling off to the gold shop.

The oil  price has picked up, but is way down on 12 months ago. Again, this is no reason to rush off buying gold.

The worlds bourses are not crashing and burning either, they are still healthy when looked at over the last 12 months.  So, no urgency to buy gold and put investment portfolios in a defensive position.

'Safe haven government bonds' haven't  provided spectacular returns since I can't remember when and is the norm, so no panic selling of bonds to get into gold.

The NY Fed has hinted it will ease interest rates, and it is hard to find any enthusiasm to raise rates elsewhere. So just why has the gold price got here, and stayed here since last xmas?

All in all, it just seems normal, except for the gold price.

Smells like trouble..._

I believe there is a realisation that stocks are overvalued and that the US is now in massive debt -it owes $22Trn and Trump is adding to that at a rate of $1Trn a year.

I think some of the death of the Dollar books from 2008 were right, just a bit early.

If China dumps treasuries, Gold could hit $10,000 /Oz