House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
timebandit

Things Looking Bad In Porlock

Porlock a small quaint village, a few miles from Minehead. Nearly every shop up for sale (approx 80%).

A few been on the market for over two years. So overstretched, retiring/death, nuclear plant or building a motorway through the village. :D

Had a quick look at the Rightmove residential approx 45 in the area.

restaurant

Pub

Retail

Cafe

Guest house

Guest house

Guest house

Book shop

Deli

Plus another two shops one of them empty.

I dont think theyll be building any motorways near Porlock... Have you been up the hill?

Peoples brakes regularly catch fire....

Edited by shindigger

I dont think theyll be building any motorways near Porlock... Have you been up the hill?

I've been up it a few times - The stench of brakes/clutch must be pretty unbearable to those houses on porlock hill.

Been up the hill twice, in the 60's when hitchhiking. Once in a 850cc mini, and once in a fuel tanker. The latter wouldn't take us down Countisbury (the descent on the other side of Exmoor). Interesting stuff, climbing 1 in 3 in a specially modified HGV.

I know folks who have neglected holiday homes in the area. Seems they spend more time in the Carribean and ski-ing now.

Lots of businesses are valued no more than one times turnover.

OK the house is thrown in, but then a lot of the house is not available to use due to running the business!

Expensive now to travel even down to the coast, so many more won't go, another wet summer and the staycationers will be thinking again.

I love Porlock and coast nearby. Some of the properties have been on the market for nearly 4 years. Situation is similar in both Porlock Weir and Lynton/Lynmouth.

I noticed to day that from one of your leinks that all 3 hotels in Keynsham are now on the market and 2 have been for at least 2 and half years. I would think they do good business from Bath and Bristol but return would be quite low if not careful.

May be why we are doing such good business. ;)

I noticed to day that from one of your leinks that all 3 hotels in Keynsham are now on the market

There's also a chocolate factory going begging in Keynsham.

I wonder if Horace Bachelor still lives there ?

(anyone remember the ads. on Radio Luxembourg?)

Certainly do! Everyone used to wonder why (if he was such a hot football results tipster) he bothered to run any sort of business via the radio.

Still, he left £150K when he died in 1979....

Edited by juvenal

I love Porlock and coast nearby. Some of the properties have been on the market for nearly 4 years. Situation is similar in both Porlock Weir and Lynton/Lynmouth.

This one keeps getting listed, must have been on the market for three years. Then again I have for £250,000 (at todays price) B)

Edited by timebandit

Now there's me, I always addressed my envelope to him 'Kanesham' not surprising I never heard anything back.

With a potentially ambiguously spelled address like that you'd think someone would stop and take the time to point it out.

Edit to add:

Didn't someone post something similar with a load of businesses in Cheddar being on the market. I drive through on the way to Street Outlet Village sometimes and it always looks like visitor numbers are declining.

Edited by Soon Not a Chain Retailer

Now there's me, I always addressed my envelope to him 'Kanesham' not surprising I never heard anything back.

With a potentially ambiguously spelled address like that you'd think someone would stop and take the time to point it out.

Edit to add:

Didn't someone post something similar with a load of businesses in Cheddar being on the market. I drive through on the way to Street Outlet Village sometimes and it always looks like visitor numbers are declining.

That might have been me - I think there was a cafe for sale.

Langport in Somerset has a pub

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14126976.html

11 bedroom hotel for sale The Langport Arms Hotel, Cheapside, Langport, TA10

Hotel and Restaurant T/O: £330,000 GP: 60% Town centre location 10-ensuite bedrooms Restaurant Function room

This other listing says

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34381814.html

Gross turnover £308,510 net of VAT year ending 31 July 2010.

And Langport has a nursery

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34381814.html

and that's for sale.

It might just be that people are retiring and want to stop slaving away - or it might be they see the writing is on the wall.

guest house 2.turnover 83k,price 595k???????????????????

06/12/2006 Exmoor House, Wheddon Cross, Minehead, Somerset, TA24 7DU Freehold detached £465,000

4/03/2000 Exmoor House, Wheddon Cross, Minehead, Somerset, TA24 7DU Freehold detached £162,000

Porlock a small quaint village, a few miles from Minehead. Nearly every shop up for sale (approx 80%).

A few been on the market for over two years. So overstretched, retiring/death, nuclear plant or building a motorway through the village. :D

Had a quick look at the Rightmove residential approx 45 in the area.

restaurant

Pub

Retail

Cafe

Guest house

Guest house

Guest house

Book shop

Deli

Plus another two shops one of them empty.

There are a few properties in Porlock and Porlock Weir which have been on the market for at least 3 years.

Similarly in Lynmouth/Lynton, (The Tors at Lynmouth has only recently sold to Martin Miller after being on the market for about 3 years or more). The price had tumbled. I dont think Miller has yet sold Glencot House at Wookey and the same vendor of The Tors has another hotel in Lynmouth which has also been on the market for a similar time to that of the others in the Lynmouth area. I note that the successful sale of the Tors has prompted them to increase the price of the other property despite its longevity on the market.

Edited by man o' the year