House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crashman Begins

To All The Paper Holders / Anti G Bugs

What do you call a Woman who only wants you for your money ?

Why should you save your wealth in something that people default on / go bankrupt on every minute of the day ?

Whats your cash made of ? Is the old saying "money dosent grow on tree's", a lie ?

What are people really talking about when they say theyre spending "Cold hard cash" ?

Whats more valuable tinned food or gold?

Gold that can buy you hundreds of cans of tinned food

Whats more barterable food or gold?

Gold when it becomes more rare than food

We're still 10 years away from needing tinned food and guns or barter as a means of exchange.

Right now Gold is where its at. Its all in the timing.

What is Special about Felix Felixis?

Where was the jewel in Rowena Ravenclaw's Diadem?

what was used to deter the dragon in gringotts?

What colour is Hermiones Wizards sleeve?

Why do fools fall in love?

How far can you walk into a field?*

Half way. After that, you're walking out of the field.

If I converted my savings into tin food I would have to buy an old bus garage to store it in.

Tin food is OK up to a point, but freeze dried food is far more superior. ;)

As in the Weimar Republic and other paper currency collapses, gold will buy food, property, farm land or the best thing, to get set up in a place of safety.

Why do fools fall in love?

How far can you walk into a field?*

Half way. After that, you're walking out of the field.

If you shoot an estate agent in the exact centre of the field, will krusty still make an 8% yield on the land?

I have not seen many [any] 'paper holders' who are anti gold.

However I have seen huge numbers of gold holders who are so anti paper it is like they are allergic to the stuff. Yet they still continue to use it every day of their life.

The sheer belief that many gold holders have in this simple piece of metal - is the thing that makes me think things may not be as simple as they expect.

I have seen this belief in only a few other things in my time. And none of them worked out anything like how it was expected.

The very fact that so many think gold is such a sure thing - is what makes me wary of it.

Similar, but not actually the link I posted before deleting it. Please don't misquote me, ta.

Apologies. Could you perhaps repost the link you deleted so we can all be certain, or are you too embarressed? :D:D:D:D:D:D:P

The very fact that so many think gold is such a sure thing - is what makes me wary of it.

the problem is there is lots of labeling. I hold a 20% gold position of my total net assets yet I am considered a gold bug. When I hold other hard assets as well.

Oh you hold a bit of gold you must be a gold bug....

I hold it as an insurance policy I sincerely hope I never have to cash in on. As sure I may win, but like all insurance you have to lose to win and in the net position you lose.

Also a lot of people in the gold forum feel they are forced to do this to protect the effort which they put into getting money to buy the gold in the first place. A lot of people are pretty surprised I work a 70 hour week and I feel tired all the time. You think I want the government to steal my hard work? I mean whatelse can we do? Should we just allow the government to take it via inflation and shrug our shoulders?

the problem is there is lots of labeling. I hold a 20% gold position of my total net assets yet I am considered a gold bug. When I hold other hard assets as well.

Oh you hold a bit of gold you must be a gold bug....

I hold it as an insurance policy I sincerely hope I never have to cash in on. As sure I may win, but like all insurance you have to lose to win and in the net position you lose.

Also a lot of people in the gold forum feel they are forced to do this to protect the effort which they put into getting money to buy the gold in the first place. A lot of people are pretty surprised I work a 70 hour week and I feel tired all the time. You think I want the government to steal my hard work? I mean whatelse can we do? Should we just allow the government to take it via inflation and shrug our shoulders?

But are you labelled a gold bug ? I think having a small % of your money in some sort of tangible asset makes some sense. But that is not the general feeling you get from those who continually go on about the gold angle.

It is the almost religious attitude that some have that is a bit strange IMO.

But are you labelled a gold bug ? I think having a small % of your money in some sort of tangible asset makes some sense. But that is not the general feeling you get from those who continually go on about the gold angle.

Yes I am, a lot of people make the connection hyperinflationista = gold bug.

It is the almost religious attitude that some have that is a bit strange IMO.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoldFever

The hero and his ragtag band of adventurers are inching ever closer to the spot on their map where the Fantabulous Cave O'Treasure is said to be located. They can almost taste it, and it tastes just like gold. GOLD! The word itself is enough to conjure bouts of hallucinatory euphoria. Even the most strait-laced and serious members of the band find their steps getting a little springier, their faces sporting predatory, out of character smiles.

Soon...soon they'll be richer than their wildest dreams.

If only they didn't have to share it with all these other fellows...

Paranoia slowly begins to creep into the minds of all of the characters. People who only a week before were putting their lives on the line for each other and firmly swearing their belief in The Power of Friendship suddenly come to view their companions with suspicion. The closer the heroes get to the treasure, the more likely this suspicion is to be kindled into hate, violence and even murder.

...after all... this is GOLD we're talking about. And there will probably only be so much to go around...

Gold Fever. There's probably nothing that can be more destructive to a Nakama unit than this, for it is a moral disease as well as a mental one. To be infected with it leaves one vulnerable to the effects of karma and removes all protections one gets from being an upright hero. Fortunately, most heroes infected with Gold Fever realize what dinks they're being and turn back into their own noble, non-greedy selves just in time to avoid killing each other or being crushed by the Treasure Room's bamboo-powered boobytraps. Although sometimes they makes off with a teensy partial sum of it if the writer thinks they deserve it.

Villains who have been infected with Gold Fever don't make out nearly as well as heroes. They're almost certain to bump each other off and/or end up tripping headfirst into a Lava Pit while clutching a golden trinket and hissing inanely: "It's mine! ALL MINE! MIIIII—" * FLOOP!* In fact, the main cause of Karmic Death is a villain's own avarice, and their inability to see what danger they're in while they're trying to satisfy it. Even the most brilliant and street-savvy of villains can find themselves holding the Idiot Ball when Gold Fever strikes. And being already insanely wealthy is no protection against Gold Fever. In fact, wealthy characters seem even more inclined to take leave of their senses when Gold Fever strikes, most likely because the existing drive which led them to become wealthy in the first place is a fire that Gold Fever is just adding fuel to.