House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
seb197

Christening Present - Carrs Silver

I am looking to purchase a nice silver tankard/mug for my brothers son. I have been on google and have found what look like some nice products from carrs silver in Sheffield.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a reputable silver product maker? the only one I have found is Carrs of Sheffield. Or any other good ideas for a quality Christening gift? was thinking i'd want sterling silver as i didn't really fancy pewter.

On a separate issue, a bit of anecdotal for you... My parents moved house recently and so as part of that I had to collect some of my belongings when they moved. They gave me all my christening presents. One of these being a 1/4 ounce gold kuggerand from 1980 from my now deceased Grandfather. I was told he bought it for me in case there ever came a time i needed a quick bit of cash as gold is a good source of this! How very true! This was obviously still a strong sentiment back in the early 80's late 70's!

Made me quite emotional since I never knew about this gift and my Grandfather passed away some years ago. The Kuggerand is in the original plastic Johnson Matthey plastic case and within the original envelope it was sent to my Grandfather in stamped Johnson Matthey Bankers Limited, 5 lloyds avenue, London.

nice bit of history for me. Never going to sell this!

Curiously, How much would that have been back in 1980 taking into account inflation etc?

I am looking to purchase a nice silver tankard/mug for my brothers son. I have been on google and have found what look like some nice products from carrs silver in Sheffield.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a reputable silver product maker? the only one I have found is Carrs of Sheffield. Or any other good ideas for a quality Christening gift? was thinking i'd want sterling silver as i didn't really fancy pewter.

On a separate issue, a bit of anecdotal for you... My parents moved house recently and so as part of that I had to collect some of my belongings when they moved. They gave me all my christening presents. One of these being a 1/4 ounce gold kuggerand from 1980 from my now deceased Grandfather. I was told he bought it for me in case there ever came a time i needed a quick bit of cash as gold is a good source of this! How very true! This was obviously still a strong sentiment back in the early 80's late 70's!

Made me quite emotional since I never knew about this gift and my Grandfather passed away some years ago. The Kuggerand is in the original plastic Johnson Matthey plastic case and within the original envelope it was sent to my Grandfather in stamped Johnson Matthey Bankers Limited, 5 lloyds avenue, London.

Curiously, How much would that have been back in 1980 taking into account inflation etc?

I bought a silver tankard for a very good friends first born 2 years ago from the jewelery quarter in Birmingham and that was about £300. Quite hefty but you pay for the workmanship, it cost a fair bit more than its bullion value.

From now on I just give out silver Brittanias. :)

Yeah, I know they ain't the best value when you look at price/Oz but then i wanted something I could make personal you see with a bit of engraving.

I live in Suffolk so no major players my way that i know of really... Plus carrs silver don't deal with the public.

TBH, there are a bunch of 50-200 year old silver tankards on eBay in various conditions. Some look mint, some look as if they have given good service. Some are inscribed, some are not. They seem to go for about spot price without any notable mark-up. Why not get a nice George III one at spot instead of a new one with markup? You can still get it inscribed with the appropriate name.

Now that I'm looking, I might have a punt on a couple myself. Might also get a sterling cigarette case to use as a business card holder. And a half pint tankard to use at work instead of a coffee mug.

How about a 2011 British bullion gold sovereign or a 2011 1/4 Krugerrand.

http://www.coininvestdirect.com/en/gold_coins/kruegerrand_krugerrand_2011_1_4oz_gold.html .

http://www.goldline.co.uk/bullionCoins.jsp?coinId=182

I got my godson some 925 dog-tags, engraved with name, DOB and message.

An unusual present that could have a bit of value if silver ever goes nuts, should be "cool" when he's older and you can add whatever chain you want to fit in with your budget.

If it's a new silver tankard you couldn't find much better than Carrs.

If it's quality hand crafted jewellery then when I've bought gifts for the wife, or weddings rings for us then I've tended to buy from Whitby as I do like the solid silver and jet look .This pendant looks superb in the flesh http://www.eborjetworks.co.uk/details.php?prodId=252&category=5&secondary=&keywords= and she loves it. Hammonds have a good website to LINK. This guys listed a few Whitby silversmiths and jewellers. Dunno if they're up your bro's sons street though!