House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Tel Aviv Tent City Erected In Protest Against High House Prices

Dozens of protest tents have been erected in Tel Aviv, with plans for further encampments in other Israeli towns and cities. But the nascent protest movement is not about democracy or dictators – but house prices.

In an echo of the tactics of pro-democracy protesters in the region, students and young workers in Israel's main city have pledged to remain in the protest tents until action has been taken to address the issue of high housing costs. Hundreds of supporters joined the core of tent-dwellers in Rothschild Avenue, one of the city's most prosperous streets, over the weekend.

The National Students' Union, which joined the protest after it began, said it would pitch further protest camps in universities and colleges around the country.

Protesters told the Israeli media that rents were too high and that the cost of buying homes was prohibitive. "I work as a waitress and study, I receive regular help from my parents, and I'm still overdrawn at the bank," 26-year-old student Lior Birger told Yedioth Ahranoth. Her rent was 2,300 shekels (£416) a month.

Nir Ginosar, 35, said he, his wife and child were forced to leave Tel Aviv for cheaper housing in the suburbs. "Both I and my wife work and earn a decent living, but without help from our parents we'll never get to buy a home. Our struggle is for working folks who simply can't make ends meet."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/17/tel-aviv-tent-city-house-priceshttp://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/17/tel-aviv-tent-city-house-prices

Edited by The Masked Tulip

How incredibly dangerous.

Since Israelies men and women all have to go through 2 years of military service. Fire arms are readily gotten a hold of legally too.

Camping in Israel has more appeal somehow. If you can get your pegs in the ground that is.

Self standing tents or weights mean you can put up a tent anywhere. I put a tent up on a dock once made of concrete using the guy lines taken off to tension the poles.

Why don't they just steal some land and build some houses on it. That's what the entire country is founded on anyway.

I believe the politically correct terminology is.. "why don't they build some more settlements"

It must be agonising for them to so desperately need something from the people they most despise.

Too bad we can't expand build settlements into France :D

Cest la vie

Edited by libspero

How incredibly dangerous.

Since Israelies men and women all have to go through 2 years of military service. Fire arms are readily gotten a hold of legally too.

I've lived in Israel for five years and it's incredibly obvious that London has far more of a gun crime problem than Tel-Aviv. Guns are not readily available by any stretch of the imagination.

There is a humungous housing bubble here and it's the same problem behind the UK bubble - cheap credit.

I'm glad the people are rising up against it. Instead of criticising them for two years of national service that they have no choice but to undertake, you could always support them for directly protesting about the prices - something us Brits didn't have the foresight to do (apart from complaining about it on internet forums!)

I believe the politically correct terminology is.. "why don't they build some more settlements"

It must be agonising for them to so desperately need something from the people they most despise.

Too bad we can't expand build settlements into France :D

Cest la vie

There is plenty of free land in Israel, within its internationally recognised borders. Drive between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem and much of it is open land. Settlements are built entirely for political and religious reasons, and the people that live there are typically zealot nutters.

[Your Links broken MaskedTulip]

Wonder why The Guardian did not post a photo of this 'Tent City?'