House Price Crash Forum

Laptop Screen

libspero

HOLA441

A friend has a fairly new laptop which the cat knocked off the window sill causing it to land screen first on something hard leaving crazing across the centre of the screen.

They are not especially well off and have asked me if I know whether it can be repaired.

The computer is an ASUS X5DIJ

A replacement is around £350.

A new screen is available here for £55

I don't really know the first thing about repairing laptops so..

Has anyone ever replaced a laptop screen before? Is it reasonably easy?

Are you likely to need any special tools?

What breed would you choose for your new cat?

HOLA442

New cat can be any sort - I have three I can send you.

Screens. Vid taking the old one off. every detail. every screw. Make sure you know what size screws go where.

It's easy for my OH who regularly dismantles everything that breaks (neighbours laptops, dongles, tvs etc etc etc,)

Ebay I assume for new screens.

If they have insurance then it might be worth claiming for a new one -

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Screens. Vid taking the old one off. every detail. every screw. Make sure you know what size screws go where.

It's easy for my OH who regularly dismantles everything that breaks (neighbours laptops, dongles, tvs etc etc etc,)

Ebay I assume for new screens.

If they have insurance then it might be worth claiming for a new one -

Step by step video of replacing an Asus laptop screen

Takes 10 minutes, there is usually a ribbon connector to the screen.

The other cheapo method is to use an external CRT screen instead, my dad does.

Thanks.. better than any tech support forum!

The ebay vid looks perfect (I should have thought of that :rolleyes: )

Looks like you just need a very small screwdriver.. and I like the videoing taking it apart idea. Unfortunately I don't think she has an old CRT otherwise that could have been helpful (for watching the youtube video on how to fix it!)

Cheers all

Libs

HOLA447
HOLA448

Maplins usually sell a tiny screwdriver kit for a few quid which is ideal for most computers.

The only drawback is some PC kit needs special screwdrivers - i.e. hard drives - but usually screws on screens and cases are just phillips.

What I usually do is take each screw out and lay it in a position that forms the pattern of the device from where I removed it from if that makes sense. So the top right screw of the case goes in the top right of my table, the top left screw goes opposite it and so on.

The ribbon connector is usually the thing to be careful about - make sure not to twist, buckle or tear it.

Also, ensure the laptop has been switched off and time allowed for the capacitors to drain/static electricity to go before opening up the case.

Otherwise, it is scary the first time you do it but generally no problem.

Oh, when yo have the lid casing of the screen open spend 5 or 10 minutes just taking in the layout of how everything is connected so you know how to stick back all together.

HOLA449

What I usually do is take each screw out and lay it in a position that forms the pattern of the device from where I removed it from if that makes sense. So the top right screw of the case goes in the top right of my table, the top left screw goes opposite it and so on.

Then TAKE PHOTOS in case of cat attack / earthquake / passing tornado etc!

HOLA4410

Maplins usually sell a tiny screwdriver kit for a few quid which is ideal for most computers.

The only drawback is some PC kit needs special screwdrivers - i.e. hard drives - but usually screws on screens and cases are just phillips.

The ribbon connector is usually the thing to be careful about - make sure not to twist, buckle or tear it.

Also, ensure the laptop has been switched off and time allowed for the capacitors to drain/static electricity to go before opening up the case.

Otherwise, it is scary the first time you do it but generally no problem.

Oh, when yo have the lid casing of the screen open spend 5 or 10 minutes just taking in the layout of how everything is connected so you know how to stick back all together.

Comprehensive.. sounds like it's actually pretty straight forward (if a little daunting the first time).

I'm driving past a Maplin this afternoon.. I'll look out for the screwdrivers.

Cheers TMT

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've done a few.

It's not difficult, but it's sometimes pretty tricky. The key is to really take your time, label every little screw and make notes as you go.

NEVER force anything. If it doesn't come apart you've forgotten something. The exception will be things that snap together like the bezel around the screen, but make absolutely sure that you're unsnapping something that should be unsnapped.

It's VERY important to remember the order in which you did things, and to be be very careful of some of the more delicate connectors.

Finally, and I can't emphasise this enough. Label every screw and put it back precisely where it came from. A screw could be just a millimetre longer than a similar one but that could mean it touches the motherboard and potentially destroys it.

Allow 2 hours to do the job, have plenty of light available.

HOLA4413

Agreed about leaving things on ledges/laps/propped half on coffee tables etc. Or letting anyone under the age of 20 touch them.

Plus don't have cats with magnets on their collars in the room.

I like the idea of laying out the screws - but would need to keep it very still - photos always a good idea

HOLA4414

Agreed about leaving things on ledges/laps/propped half on coffee tables etc. Or letting anyone under the age of 20 touch them.

Plus don't have cats with magnets on their collars in the room.

I like the idea of laying out the screws - but would need to keep it very still - photos always a good idea

Why would cats have magnets on their collars?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

They have them to activate cat flaps, the magnet activates a simple switch which unlocks the cat flap. Thus preventing other cats getting in lest they have something similar.

Thats the one.

Ours bring in rusty nails too. I suspect they're pulling someone's shed to pieces bit by bit.. :)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

That's a great tip.

My advice with laptops screws is if the small screwdriver doesn't hold and slips... stop screwing and buy a different set of screwdrivers. I have about 4 sets and still struggle to find the one that works and if you use the wrong one for too long you will be unable to replace the screen. Fixed a couple of old laptops a couple of times, as long as you have instructions your sorted....

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Thats the one.

Ours bring in rusty nails too. I suspect they're pulling someone's shed to pieces bit by bit.. :)

My neighbour has a catflap that works on the if-the-cat-goes-missing implanted chip. Sounds like a good idea and doesn't mean the cat has to wear something that could get caught or lost.

HOLA4424

My neighbour has a catflap that works on the if-the-cat-goes-missing implanted chip. Sounds like a good idea and doesn't mean the cat has to wear something that could get caught or lost.

Yeah seen that one. We've only lost one magnet in 6 years though and I think that was took off by a neighbours kid ...

HOLA4425

Archived