House Price Crash Forum
Ash4781

Btl Maintenance

Ok so in my current rental I've had an oven fail (heat glass randomly shattered), four window locks failed (mechanisms fell out), the new boiler leaked, and a lock jammed. In the last place a tile fell off, lock failed,not tiled / screened above cooker and a few floorboards broke. Both used water based paints in bathroom, and kitchen ;) .

Is this common: landlords putting in the very worst quality components, standards of work - maybe fixed price work, and then having to do (or not do) loads of maintenance?

Do BTL's budget for maintenance costs?

Or is it keep tenants in at all costs.

My LL bought a BTL in a new build block and didn't do the basic fault finding (snagging) We've had repeated problems with the low standard of building work (balcony leaks, boiler not installed properly etc). Because the LL was never going to live there, then it didn't matter to them that the kitchen appliances were the cheapest, the carpet pitiful. If it had been a buyer who wanted to live here the specifications would have been better. I've seen some of the few flats in our block bought by owners (not BTL) and they are so different inside.

For example, we have a large kitchen (unusual in London and new builds) but they installed the units in the wrong place and the smallest units they could find. All shoved in one corner and not laid out to be easy to use. A buyer would have pointed this out and complained. A BTL'er doesn't care.

My experience has been that if it's for a tenant then the cheapest and nastiest items will do. We lived next to a LL once and when the bed needed replacing in our flat it came from the cheapest the Argos catalogue, when theirs needed replacing it came in a John Lewis van.

Once they have us "locked" into a AST then I've not found LL's care one way or another. If we leave at the end there is plenty of propogranda in the media to convince them that new tenants can be found and probably at a higher price.

Edited by Flopsy

My experience has been that if it's for a tenant then the cheapest and nastiest items will do. We lived next to a LL once and when the bed needed replacing in our flat it came from the cheapest the Argos catalogue, when theirs needed replacing it came in a John Lewis van.

I have a theory that the LL phenomena is bad for the sales of furniture white goods etc.

If I had been able to buy the current flat I am renting I would of (eventually) invested in a decent bed, got some reasonable carpets (the current ones would not be out of place in an office) I would also spend alot more on furniture and DIY than my LL is ever going to bother with.

Multipy this by the many 10's/100's(?) of thousands ofpriced out renters (or even overstretched FTB's) and it must be having a negative impact?

Even down to the interior decorating side things. I hardly have any wall pictures for example as am not allowed to 'damage' the walls and they are also a pain in the **** to move. Neither have I invested in any twigs as I do not want to 'add value' tothe place unless I really have to...

I have a theory that the LL phenomena is bad for the sales of furniture white goods etc.

If I had been able to buy the current flat I am renting I would of (eventually) invested in a decent bed, got some reasonable carpets (the current ones would not be out of place in an office) I would also spend alot more on furniture and DIY than my LL is ever going to bother with.

Multipy this by the many 10's/100's(?) of thousands ofpriced out renters (or even overstretched FTB's) and it must be having a negative impact?

Even down to the interior decorating side things. I hardly have any wall pictures for example as am not allowed to 'damage' the walls and they are also a pain in the **** to move. Neither have I invested in any twigs as I do not want to 'add value' tothe place unless I really have to...

More and more tenants want unfurnished flats. If you do let furnished keeping the amount of fixtures and fittings to a minimum makes check-ins and outs easier and lets the tenant add their own personal touches. Carpets need to be hard wearing due to the move ins/out and the abuse they get from tenants. In general tenants do not treat any fixtures and fittings as well as an owner would so that reflects how BTL are furnished and decorated. The cheapest materials is probably a false economy but so is putting in a 1 inch shag pile Wilton carpet.

I've never known a tenant who did not hang pictures or drill holes in the walls. Some LL charge a fee for each hole (I've heard of 10 quid per pin hole). I don't bother and just get someone in to fill and paint over between any lets.

Edited by davidg

It's a business decision for him/her, why would he buy the best? There's the crux of the problem, your home is your landlords business.

There seems to have been a shift from the tenant being the landlords customer, to the lanlord being the tenants customer. Maybe this shift has been because of the new breed of BTL lacking professionalism, maybe it's just a general malaise.

There seems to havre been a shift from the tenant being the landlords customer, to the lanlord being the tenants customer. Maybe this shift has been because of the new breed of BTL lacking professionalism, maybe it's just a general malaise.

No the tenant is still the customer and can always move elsewhere, churning and voids are a big negative for LLs.

With the rise of BTLs there is far more choice than there was even say 20 years ago. I remember renting myself and the few professional landlords really were businessmen, renting out fleapits for the maximum return. For those wishing for a return to the "old time pro" - Rackman or Hoogstraaten anyone? I remember Nick Hoogstraaten from my time in Brighton, nice enough bloke if you didn't get on the wrong side of him, like the Krays.

Edited by davidg

?

Talking of holes....

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/tenants-that-leave-holes-in-the-wall/

:lol:

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

More and more tenants want unfurnished flats. If you do let furnished keeping the amount of fixtures and fittings to a minimum makes check-ins and outs easier and lets the tenant add their own personal touches. Carpets need to be hard wearing due to the move ins/out and the abuse they get from tenants. In general tenants do not treat any fixtures and fittings as well as an owner would so that reflects how BTL are furnished and decorated. The cheapest materials is probably a false economy but so is putting in a 1 inch shag pile Wilton carpet.

I've never known a tenant who did not hang pictures or drill holes in the walls. Some LL charge a fee for each hole (I've heard of 10 quid per pin hole). I don't bother and just get someone in to fill and paint over between any lets.

That kind of confirms my point, cheap and 'does the job' is far more likely to happen than getting something half decent as an OO might (assuming they could afford it) this surely has a negative effect across to board for the half decent stuff that would be desirable?

I would prefer an unfurnished place but they are very very rare around here. I think I have only ever seen one in Edinburgh. Not sure why they are so rare. If I was the LL I would prefer not to have the hassle of counting the number of spoons and glasses in a property (I have had run ins with LL who were over zealous on this aspect).

I would prefer an unfurnished place

You and a lot of other prospective tenants, people don't want the furniture many LLs put in or any furniture at all. It is a change in the market over the last decade. There are a lot of people who have divorced or STR or moved and have their own furniture. I understand your frustration. From a LL perspective it is a win as they don't pay council tax on an empty property during voids.

I'm not sure you will get more than standard beige "office" type carpet in many properties though.

Last place (3 years) had the central heating pump go (when we first tried it in October after a particularly good summer), needed a new mattress when we moved in as the existing one was horrendous, curtain pole came down and needed redoing, also after the first year the landlord asked if he could do some maintainance whilst we were on holiday in Japan, came back to all new furniture in bedroom including new bed, new lino in kitchen and a lick of paint in all the rooms. Oh and he also had to replace the tumble dryer and washing machine. After each "episode" I was glad we were renting, and I was thinking how much this was taking off his income, and not ours.

Since we have been in this place (2 years) we've had 2 new washing machines (now we finally have a decent one) and a new hob (because he couldn't find the manual for the old one and British gas told him that without the manual the new regs meant it was automatically deemed unsafe - weird!

Anyway, if I have a point it was that in both cases the landlords have been decent and gotten things sorted in good time, with no grumbling, also I have been glad that they are paying for all the replacements (yes I know technically we are paying for them, but it is nice to know that they aren't making as much from their "empires" as they would like to.)

Edited by Bear Necessities