House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southmartin

Best Value Android Handset?

Hi, as title...

I'm an avid iPhone user (let the comments begin :-) but am also starting to develop apps for the android platform, so I need to get hold of a decent handset. I can buy new as I'll get the vat back, but I don't really need many minutes/texts, maybe 200 each a month or thereabouts. But I don't really want to get into a contract as I prefer to but it outright and then use a giffgaff sim package... Unless there are any really good bargains on contract

So, can anyone advise which handset to get, and from where? I see there's a new whizzy one called the htc sensation, but I'm not sure if I'd really need the newest ad best one as it's not my main phone.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Orange San Fan

HTC Wildfire S - S is important

There is a great deal on hotukdeals for the HTC Sensation currently BUT hundreds of people are reporting big problems with the Sensation and wanting to return them.

I would say it depends what your testing, and what os version your targeting Android 2.1, 2.2, etc etc If you making a game app that requires some decent CPU speed then the sensation has a fast CPU, followed by the Desire S. At the lower end the new HTC wildfire S seems a decent (but slower phone) but lower price point, all three are Android 2.3 I believe.

Cheaper still are the orange San Francisco, the T-mobile pulse & pulse Mini, and Samsung Galaxy Europa.

Pick the specs your need and rule out certain models. While you might be able to upgrade I really CBA with the rom upgrading from the mod scene, I just want it to work.

If you're developing apps for yourself (rather than be paid to write apps) then within Android market place it appears too be very difficult to make $$$, at this point in time I would jump to WinPhone 7 platform, (taking inspiration from current Apple/Android store) while the app space is still fairly empty.

If you're developing apps for yourself (rather than be paid to write apps) then within Android market place it appears too be very difficult to make $$$, at this point in time I would jump to WinPhone 7 platform, (taking inspiration from current Apple/Android store) while the app space is still fairly empty.

+1

If you are going to develop for Android then you need the Sensation IMPO as you need to be writing apps that take advantage of the latest phones in terms of power/memory/android version.

I think WP7 will become a big player once Nokia and MS get their act together re Mango. I am keeping a close eye on Nokia shares and am tempted to buy some since they 11% fall this year.

I think WP7 will become a big player once Nokia and MS get their act together re Mango.

I dunno. I'm not saying that Mango is in any way bad, but at the moment, iOS and Android seem to have the market sewn up between them.

New sales figures show Windows Phone 7 sales go from bad to worse

Windows 7 phone strikes me as potentially another "Zune". Microsoft seem to have real trouble playing catchup with Apple. HTC and Samsung are making a much better job of it IMO

Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-Apple-iPhone-4-UK-sales-2.jpg

I dunno. I'm not saying that Mango is in any way bad, but at the moment, iOS and Android seem to have the market sewn up between them.

New sales figures show Windows Phone 7 sales go from bad to worse

Windows 7 phone strikes me as potentially another "Zune". Microsoft seem to have real trouble playing catchup with Apple. HTC and Samsung are making a much better job of it IMO

Are you surprised? People had enough of that Microsoft crap on their desktops and notebooks for years. Why carry it around with you on your phone?

Yes, there is serious danger of it becoming another Zune.

I wanted to buy a WP7 phone but could not believe how sh*t the current version is. I am not at all convinced that Mango is going to be much of an improvement.

I have watched numerous videos of Mango being demoed and I keep thinking "Microsoft and Nokia just don't get it".

But where they may win is in the corporate sector with people wanting to link into stuff like Office, Outlook, Sharepoint, etc. That is probably where MS will see huge growth if they can get their act together.

Interested in app development too, though I was going to go for the Android platform and found myself being persuaded to go for the iPhone for development - was going to get a secondhand one - came up in this thread:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=166207

This addresses/repeats some of the points and is relevant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/nokia/8652816/Nokia-death-or-glory.html

Are you surprised? People had enough of that Microsoft crap on their desktops and notebooks for years. Why carry it around with you on your phone?

I use Microsoft products every day (Windows, Office) but I'm wary of their new phone platform.

If I bought a smartphone I would go for either Android or iOS, simply because these are well established platforms with lots of apps.

The Zune comparison is quite apt I think. Microsoft just seem to struggle these days to match Apple in the hardware arena. Zune: failed. Windows tablets: not quite ready for prime time. phones: well, maybe they'll get there, but based on their recent track record....

+1

If you are going to develop for Android then you need the Sensation IMPO as you need to be writing apps that take advantage of the latest phones in terms of power/memory/android version.

I think WP7 will become a big player once Nokia and MS get their act together re Mango. I am keeping a close eye on Nokia shares and am tempted to buy some since they 11% fall this year.

But shouldn't you develop for the lowest level possible? If it only works on the latest phones then people with an older phone will not be able to use it?

I have a WP7 phone (Samsung Omnia 7), and it is brilliant.

Far, far superior to the Orange San Francisco it replaced.

• WP7 is just extraordinarily more responsive than Android (I had a stable 2.2 rom on the OSF).
  • WP7 feels more slick, and straightforward, than Android - more 'designed', than 'compiled'.
  • There is nothing that I did on the Android phone that I can't do on the WP7 phone. (No Flash on either, but that's hardly the end of the world)
  • Android widgets were quite useful, but not *that* useful.
  • The WP7 battery life is much better (slightly more capacious battery, mind)
  • I got a brilliant bargain on the WP7 phone from T-Mobile - paying £2.50/month more than my GiffGaff SIM-only, for the same level of service, but with a phone included in the price..!

I have a WP7 phone (Samsung Omnia 7), and it is brilliant.

Far, far superior to the Orange San Francisco it replaced.

• WP7 is just extraordinarily more responsive than Android (I had a stable 2.2 rom on the OSF).
  • WP7 feels more slick, and straightforward, than Android - more 'designed', than 'compiled'.
  • There is nothing that I did on the Android phone that I can't do on the WP7 phone. (No Flash on either, but that's hardly the end of the world)
  • Android widgets were quite useful, but not *that* useful.
  • The WP7 battery life is much better (slightly more capacious battery, mind)
  • I got a brilliant bargain on the WP7 phone from T-Mobile - paying £2.50/month more than my GiffGaff SIM-only, for the same level of service, but with a phone included in the price..!

Ditto, I also have an omnia7 from t-mobile, similar deal, its a great phone but I have to admit android is better (although android is slower and sucks more battery).... looking forwards to mango, but Im biased, I have 4 Wp7 apps in the marketplace.

But shouldn't you develop for the lowest level possible? If it only works on the latest phones then people with an older phone will not be able to use it?

Yes I suppose so but I think there is also an opposite effect to that; in that people who buy the latest phones are more likely to go out and buy some apps to try it out. People with older/cheaper phones will tend to stick to free apps and there isn't much profit in those (even the ones with adverts in).

It's different if your app is an extension of your core service - something like the eBay app for example. In that case it is a loss-leader to get people to use your main service, so you want it to work on as many handsets as possible.