House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Clare's Law: After Mother's Brutal Murder, Women To Get Right To Check Abusive Partners' Criminal Records

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015564/Clares-law-After-mothers-brutal-murder-women-right-check-abusive-partners-criminal-records.html

Women who use the internet to seek boyfriends will win the right to force the police to reveal if they have a history of violence under plans being considered by Home Secretary Theresa May.

The controversial move is in response to fears that the growing phenomenon of internet dating means more and more women are going out with men whose backgrounds they know little about.

The proposal has been called ‘Clare’s Law’, after the horrific killing of 36-year-old mother Clare Wood by a man she met on Facebook. George Appleton strangled Ms Wood and set her body on fire before hanging himself.

In a letter seen by The Mail on Sunday, Mrs May indicates she is considering introducing Clare’s Law and will make an announcement in the next few weeks.

She says: ‘Tackling violence against women and girls is a priority for this Government.’

However, some believe the well-intentioned plan could jeopardise civil liberties.

Nice another knee jerk reaction.

Wouldn't a law of this nature contravene the European equality laws? Surely men have the right to know if their new partner is a pyscho nutjob?

Perhaps everyone who uses online dating websites should have their profiles immediately matched with their police records.

Nice another knee jerk reaction.

//

Perhaps everyone who uses online dating websites should have their profiles immediately matched with their police records.

Yep. Perhaps everything should be known about everyone, then there would be no more crime unless sanctioned and useful to the government and everybody would be nicely behaved.

So many example of knee-jerk, all encompassing laws.

In my experience, there is a tendency for people to go for 'types', with history repeating itself over and over.

I believe the finding out about partners is called courtship, it used to involve friendship and a period of testing each other out before jumping into bed or shacking up together.

Still, if nanny state knows best...

Can men have a law stating the psychology of women then?

Especially records about false rape abuse etc..

TBH I remember seeing satire of this 18 years ago in the sketch show kids in the hall.

Where when dating women would ask for a credit card and perform a check on all potential suiters.

In my experience, there is a tendency for people to go for 'types', with history repeating itself over and over.

There is, there is a skydiver I know called J, she had a knuckle dragging thug as her BF.... she went on to date numerous knuckle dragging thugs who beat the crap out of her more than once. She even came on forums asking advice and ignored it and went for yet another knuckle dragging thug. By the 4th bloke I saw she couldn't be helped she quit skydiving after turning up black and blue faced. And we never saw her again.

I believe the finding out about partners is called courtship, it used to involved friendship and a period of testing each other out before jumping into bed or shacking up together.

:lol:

Reflects our crazy, community free, nomadic modern world. You can't stop by the post office or the pub anymore and gently enquire whether people think Jim at no 37 is sound or not. Your Aunt Flossie a few towns away is highly unlikely to know anyone in his family either.

So it all has to be personal judgement and it can take a very long time to build trust.

More importantly, why are divorce papers sealed? I think that when people are dating divorced people (against whom the divorce was initiated) they should be able to get summary information. This would prevent people hiding serious problems that haven't been treated.

For example, does "unreasonable behaviour" mean domestic violence, alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling problems, child abuse, mental cruelty, criminal activity etc.?

Men should get the right to investigate Women's medical records for personality disorders.

Alas, nowadays Doctors and other health professionals are very reluctant to write down their suspicions of such things in medical records for fear of being sued.

Can men have a law stating the psychology of women then?

Especially records about false rape abuse etc..

Not to mention details of how many poor sods' fortunes she's sitting on ...

There are real nutters of both sexes. Not many, but I shouldn't be at all surprised if they're overrepresented in online dating sites, for exactly the same reason kiddie-fiddlers are overrepresented in the clergy.

Everyones criminal records should be publicly available, as should their benefit entitlements, house sale prices, house offer prices, salaries, debt level and so on. Everyone should be named and shamed. Seems odd that you can get lots of info from papers, but no central database.

OTOH, lots of women are attracted to thugs, which, as ive said before, as adults, its their own problem if they get beaten on, but allowing a man with a violent past into your home if you have kids is just plain stupid.

Alas, nowadays Doctors and other health professionals are very reluctant to write down their suspicions of such things in medical records for fear of being sued.

And we're going to see more and more of this as electronic records increasingly become the subject of legal proceedings.

Anecdotal: a couple of weeks ago a problem surfaced that may well result in a student appeal as the result, basically, of her having been taught incompetently by a colleague who (to cut a very long story short) should never have been teaching that module. The colleague who told me about this rang me at home one evening, wanting to talk it through. I replied to the effect that I was very tired, about to go to bed, and could she put the details in an email and I'd reply with any relevant information the next morning? She replied instantly, 'Oh no, no way! Nothing in any emails, voicemails, texts, memos or anything like that. Don't even save anything on the S: drive [our network drive space for work files] you don't want her to see if she does an FOI request. We've got to decide how we're going to play this one by word of mouth alone.'

TBH I remember seeing satire of this 18 years ago in the sketch show kids in the hall.

Where when dating women would ask for a credit card and perform a check on all potential suiters.

Amazon Women On The Moon did that in 1987.

Everyones criminal records should be publicly available, as should their benefit entitlements, house sale prices, house offer prices, salaries, debt level and so on. Everyone should be named and shamed. Seems odd that you can get lots of info from papers, but no central database.

OTOH, lots of women are attracted to thugs, which, as ive said before, as adults, its their own problem if they get beaten on, but allowing a man with a violent past into your home if you have kids is just plain stupid.

Yeah, good idea. Everyone can have a CCTV camera pointing at their front door and a webcam installed in their bedrooms too. After all, if you've got nothing to hide...

Total garbage of course. Privacy will one day be man's greatest yearning and the preserve of the super-rich.

Yeah, good idea. Everyone can have a CCTV camera pointing at their front door and a webcam installed in their bedrooms too. After all, if you've got nothing to hide...

Total garbage of course. Privacy will one day be man's greatest yearning and the preserve of the super-rich.

Whilst the rich watch us as entertainment?

And we're going to see more and more of this as electronic records increasingly become the subject of legal proceedings.

Anecdotal: a couple of weeks ago a problem surfaced that may well result in a student appeal as the result, basically, of her having been taught incompetently by a colleague who (to cut a very long story short) should never have been teaching that module. The colleague who told me about this rang me at home one evening, wanting to talk it through. I replied to the effect that I was very tired, about to go to bed, and could she put the details in an email and I'd reply with any relevant information the next morning? She replied instantly, 'Oh no, no way! Nothing in any emails, voicemails, texts, memos or anything like that. Don't even save anything on the S: drive [our network drive space for work files] you don't want her to see if she does an FOI request. We've got to decide how we're going to play this one by word of mouth alone.'

Back to the days of the most private place to have a conversation being Piccadilly Circus!

Men should get the right to investigate Women's medical records for personality disorders.

amen to that +1

If you feel the need to ask a policeman about the background of someone you're sh*gging then surely you lack the skills to make the decision for yourself and probably shouldn't be allowed out on your own.

Why do we just get thrust upon us more and more nonsense ? Where will it end.

Saw the chat about this in BBC News this morning. Someone was on from Liberty explaing the Police, under Common Law, already have the right to provide this information if asked. So this is just another Law that is not really required. To add to the massive list already in place.

As for domestic abuse in general - phsyical and mental ? I would say there are far more men who are victims than women. It is just cases like this are the ones that are noticed due to how they end up. Some bird slowly driving a bloke insane through playing with his head and then ******ing him over in a divorce settlement ? Not quite as exciting is it. Yet it happens to masses of blokes all over this country all the time.

I have a real problem with the Government coming out and saying they specifically want to help women/girl victims. That infers, in a very clear manner - that they do not think blokes deserve the same.

They just seem unable to see the blatant hypocrisy.

I have a real problem with the Government coming out and saying they specifically want to help women/girl victims. That infers, in a very clear manner - that they do not think blokes deserve the same.

They just seem unable to see the blatant hypocrisy.

For several reasons - women are often the carers of other people. Like children. And earn less. So can't just up sticks and go.

Bloke up the road is regularly battered by the drunken soak he lives with. Police have NO help for him other than to arrest him so he can be "put up for the night" as there are no bettered men shelters in Oldham.

She's just broke her hip though so will be in hospital for a little while. He still should leave but he won't.

Woman jailed for false rape claim

Going to be rolled out across England and Wales now. Seen it discussed on tv twice today. Both times they talked about this being for women to find out about men. When in fact this covers any person of any gender.

On the same day we have a story linked above. :rolleyes:

The constant demonisation of men and the general idea of females all being victims - is really getting beyond a joke.

Woman jailed for false rape claim

Going to be rolled out across England and Wales now. Seen it discussed on tv twice today. Both times they talked about this being for women to find out about men. When in fact this covers any person of any gender.

On the same day we have a story linked above. :rolleyes:

The constant demonisation of men and the general idea of females all being victims - is really getting beyond a joke.

Men are often portrayed as evil or thick, in the media, but what do women think? They often live with one! :blink:;)

I wonder if there's anything in this lady's past. On reflection, the word lady does not seem appropiate....

I suspect violence committed by women against men has a very low reporting rate, whereas every malfeasance a man has committed, both real and the falsely reported imaginary, will likely be on file.

I'm not sure I would want to date a woman who thought it necessary to check up on me like this. Smacks of paranoia.

I can't remember this case but there was a similar one a few years ago in Manchester where a woman met someone off the Plenty of Fish dating site, from memory I think she only met him once but he stalked her and set fire to her front door, Greater Manchester Police investigated it but failed to act or give any protection. He came back that night and torched the house whilst the woman was in it!

The thing is Plenty of Fish is a foreign site and its riddled with people with fake profiles/identies so is this really going to work?

Years ago I worked with Social Services and remember one case where young children were taken away and adopted because their young mother was extremely violent against her partner (especially if she touched alcohol). And that is the rub women calling for this change can't comprehend other women being violent but sadly its getting worse.

I also knew of a case where a woman who suffered from Border Personality Disorder (not to be confused with Bi Polar) who was meeting men off the internet and being promiscuous, one time she arranged to meet a young man from a town 20 miles away, They went for a drink in a pub and she invited him back to hers and they had sex, she made the running.

When she awoke he had gone, feeling very annoyed and upset she started telling her friends she had been raped, the local plod were very sympathetic and took her to the a victims rape suite where she could be examined by a doctor. the police knew nothing about the Border Personality Disorder and it was only when speaking to a witness who the woman had contacted first did it emerge.

The whole case fell apart from there on, one young man had a very lucky escape and given suitable advice.

One thing though this woman from an early age had a history of crying rape or saying she had been abused. Really scary that you could run into such a person (the Bunny Boiler in fatal attraction suffered from the disorder).

So will Clare's law cover violent women as well as those who are mentally unhinged? I don't suppose it will

I wonder if there's anything in this lady's past. On reflection, the word lady does not seem appropiate....

I suspect violence committed by women against men has a very low reporting rate, whereas every malfeasance a man has committed, both real and the falsely reported imaginary, will likely be on file.

I'm not sure I would want to date a woman who thought it necessary to check up on me like this. Smacks of paranoia.

Who'd have thought that people from £315,000 houses would turn out that way?

I've met both nutter men and women in my life.

While the nutter women lie, cheat, cry, throw tantrums etc., the nutty men do things like kicking another man in the head while he's lying on the ground (and taking a running start first) or punching someone in the face without warning - both of these I've seen men do just for a laugh.

So I have to say, in my personal and humble opinion, the nutter men are FAR more dangerous than the nutter women.

I imagine its incredibly rare for a man to report domestic abuse - unless it was incredibly serious - and even then i still doubt its very common. I do however - for a fact - of a number of women who have called the police for the most minimal of things - if in fact anything.

At a rough guess i would imagine maybe one in a hundred acts against a man is actually reported. For women its probably more like ten.

You see women hitting men in the street on nights out. And rarely anything comes of it. If they are happy to do that in public - just imagine what happens behind closed doors.

As for who is more dangerous - men or women ? Very different creatures so its difficult to say. However personally i would take my chances with a bloke trying to kick me in the head - against a woman trying to put me in jail for something she made up.

At least i would feel i had a chance.

I've met both nutter men and women in my life.

While the nutter women lie, cheat, cry, throw tantrums etc., the nutty men do things like kicking another man in the head while he's lying on the ground (and taking a running start first) or punching someone in the face without warning - both of these I've seen men do just for a laugh.

So I have to say, in my personal and humble opinion, the nutter men are FAR more dangerous than the nutter women.

If you think its only blokes who do this - maybe you should watch a few of these shows about nights out in the UK.

The show bouncers is rather enlightening. Interesting to hear many of them saying the girls are the worst to deal with. No surprise to me.