House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Yoga

Always heard good things about it. Do a lot of sport myself. Fancied giving it a go. Drinking injury means I am off the running for while - so thought Yoga would be good.

Two weeks so far. VERY impressed. Hard work but flexibility and strength is improving by the day.

Highly recommended.

Always heard good things about it. Do a lot of sport myself. Fancied giving it a go. Drinking injury means I am off the running for while - so thought Yoga would be good.

Two weeks so far. VERY impressed. Hard work but flexibility and strength is improving by the day.

Highly recommended.

Yes, it is much tougher than peopel realise. What type of yoga are you doing? I am a dru yoga fan myself and recommend both dru yoga and tai chi.

I find spinal yoga exercises to be so crucial to good body and mind. The spine is the information highway of the body and, as we age, it becomes more inflexible. This appears to be hastening as more and more of us sit hunched over PCs.

Ask your teacher about spinal exercises, or google them, and you will be amazed how you can loosen your spine up in a few months. It is only when you have loosened your spine with yoga do you fully begin to realise just how stiff and inflexible it had become.

Not sure what type of Yoga it is - just called Yoga !

What does the one you do have specifically ?

Did a fair few spine things last week and could definitely feel it. Told my mates and they have all without fail given me the 'So gay' chat.

Tried to explain but they will soon realise when I am looking even more like a toned honed athlete in a years time. :D

Not sure what type of Yoga it is - just called Yoga !

What does the one you do have specifically ?

Did a fair few spine things last week and could definitely feel it. Told my mates and they have all without fail given me the 'So gay' chat.

Tried to explain but they will soon realise when I am looking even more like a toned honed athlete in a years time. :D

Some types of yoga are very energetic, almost like going for a serious jog or cycle that can be off-putting for many.

Dru yoga is about the body and mind and is considered a more relaxing kind of yoga.

Often people will go to the 'wrong' kind of yoga class for them, find that the yoga teacher is like a very demanding drill instructor and they will go away swearing never to do yoga again. Hence why I advise people to try dru yoga.

For example, you can go to some yoga classes and everyone is expected to do the same exercises to the same level which, frankly, is just impossible and off-putting.

A dru yoga teacher will take into account your age, your health conditions and, whilst you will do identical exercises or movements to others, they should also tailor your movments to your requirements. For example, my breathing was appalling and much of it was down to my spine being inflexible, muscles all swollen and knotted around my spine pulling vertaebrae out of position, trapping nerves, etc, etc.

By doing a series of movements daily I was able to freel up the muscles and eventually correct the vertaebrae being twisted. I recall the first couple of months of freeing up my spine and it was so sore getting it to move again but it was 'wonderfully sore' if you see what I mean. I had no idea I was carrying such pain for years nor that my spine had basically seized up.

I now do a very simple excerise of moving shoulders forwards and backwards left and right as I walk so that my spine is, as it should be, naturally excercised whilst I walk. 99.9% of people do not do this because they hold themselves so stiff and have basically been talk to walk incorrectly. They think it looks silly to move your shoulders so but, boy, you can feel your entire spine relaxing and it keeps the spine free and supple. It is the natural way to walk.

http://www.druworldwide.com/yoga/what_is_dru_yoga

Different kinds of yoga

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/07/04/04/the_different_kinds_of_yoga__amp_the_focus_of_each_kind_in_brief.htm

A close friend of mine is in his erly 60s and the strength he has in his body from yoga is amazing. Basically can stand on his hands, raise his feet up about his head and just hold a series of positions.

Done Ashtanga yoga and continue to incorporate a lot of the movements in my exercise regime (such as it is).

Years ago when I did loads of activity I found the ideal combination was 2 sessions of jitsu and 1 session of ashtanga yoga per week.

The improvement in posture, flexibility and positive mental attitude was astounding.

my word she was worth watching ... something about her upper chest area was distracting me though ... very flexible lady ;)

I've been practising for nearly two years. I had to leave my first teacher due to a shift slide at work,my new class is a little too advanced so often I'm a posture but not really gaining much benefit,I still attend the classes but prefer more basic practice. For me practice at home is tiresome,I really do need a teacher to motivate me. I've not heard of Dru but it does interest me - thanks for the nfo and links.

I do a ten minute yoga-type work out a few mornings a week. The dog, loosening out the spine etc. but push ups and crunches as well.

Feels good, and gets you breathing deep and regular.

Picked it up from the internet - vid here:

I've been practising for nearly two years. I had to leave my first teacher due to a shift slide at work,my new class is a little too advanced so often I'm a posture but not really gaining much benefit,I still attend the classes but prefer more basic practice. For me practice at home is tiresome,I really do need a teacher to motivate me. I've not heard of Dru but it does interest me - thanks for the nfo and links.

I get the feeling, even after only 2 sessions, it is something you have to do fairly regularly to get the best results. Same as most things I imagine.

I did a bit in my house following a game of golf last week. Just picked out some of the poses and stretches I had done the week before that I felt would loosen me up after golf. Maybe 20 minutes or so.

So how many classes per week do you have ?

One class a week should be enough, then practice at home 2 or 3 times a week. Some people become addicted and do it daily.

My friends, are yoga teachers, do yoga and tai chi daily.

I was encouraged to try bikram yoga, the hot room one. Thought it would be easy as I'm reasonably fit and have always been flexible. I was so wrong!

Hard, hard cardio, real core strength work out. Only just managed the 90 mins. I honestly felt like I'd run a half marathon. The upside is that I felt brilliant afterwards. Now I try and go twice a week, am noticeably fitter and old back niggles have gone.

It's always the same set of 26 postures, you sweat buckets, and is one of these easy to learn, lifetime to master types of thing.

I was encouraged to try bikram yoga, the hot room one. Thought it would be easy as I'm reasonably fit and have always been flexible. I was so wrong!

Hard, hard cardio, real core strength work out. Only just managed the 90 mins. I honestly felt like I'd run a half marathon. The upside is that I felt brilliant afterwards. Now I try and go twice a week, am noticeably fitter and old back niggles have gone.

It's always the same set of 26 postures, you sweat buckets, and is one of these easy to learn, lifetime to master types of thing.

Are you a Jedi yet?

I get the feeling, even after only 2 sessions, it is something you have to do fairly regularly to get the best results. Same as most things I imagine.

I did a bit in my house following a game of golf last week. Just picked out some of the poses and stretches I had done the week before that I felt would loosen me up after golf. Maybe 20 minutes or so.

So how many classes per week do you have ?

Yup,it will give almost immediate positive results which will then level off. Then you will obviously step up levels of well being. I personally don't do long sessions at home,just short bursts,home practice isn't for me. My previous teacher held two per week but removed the beginners class after about a year. I now attend a different advanced class just once a week,I'd like to do more but I work odd shifts. I also have a back massage twice a month with Indian head massage - when I've skipped this I notice the difference,I no longer think about the money just the benefits - I like the sound of the bikram yoga but it doesn't appear to be held near me.

Yep. Loads of people do yoga on this site.

I have seen pictures of you and rk in that sailing boat.....no way you old timers can see your feet let alone reach them :lol:

Why are you in a yoga thread? :lol:

my word she was worth watching ... something about her upper chest area was distracting me though ... very flexible lady ;)

yep ! nice baps and the rest . i got back pain straining at the screen :D

You mean the one we dream about buying with our winnings?

2lmtamc.jpg

Oh, that wasnt a picture of you two sailing? :lol:

I always imagined you as a more refined gent with a cigar in his home office rather than someone in a leotard doing yoga