House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Tens Of Thousands Of Homes To Be Built Due To "planning Vacuum"

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Larkrise-housing-estate-Rush-build-near-villages/story-12955303-detail/story.html

The picturesque National Trust village home to one the BBC’s most popular period dramas could be transformed by a mass of construction work.

Residents in picturesque villages across the West are fighting developers who are leaping on uncertainty in the planning process by trying to build on green fields before new laws that might block them come into force.

And in pretty Lacock, where the popular TV drama Larkrise to Candleford was filmed, 1,500 homes have been earmarked along with a 28-hectare industrial estate, a prime example of the rush to build.

It is a result of developers are “queuing up” to submit applications for hundreds of new homes on the edges of most of the West’s towns, and hope to take advantage of the planning policy vacuum that has now started, since the coalition Government scrapped housing targets which forced local councils to build homes.

While some developers are working with local authorities to get their sites incorporated into strategic plans for the next 15 years, others are fighting their battles now and claiming that the vacuum means their developments should be given the go-ahead because there isn’t a strategic plan in place.

In Lacock, a packed public meeting earlier this week heard how the village was under threat by the expansion of Chippenham to the north.

A ‘Save Lacock’ group has been formed to fight an urban extension of Chippenham that they say will link the town to Lacock parish, with 1,500 new homes and a 28-hectare industrial estate. “Despite the blindingly obvious fact that businesses are still closing monthly, Wiltshire Council is insisting vast areas of greenfield land are earmarked for development,” said a group spokesman. Residents groups have already fought and lost battles against developers in Calne and Wootton Bassett, where the house-builders took advantage of the planning vacuum, while applications are being put forward for hundreds more houses around the edge of Malmesbury, Devizes, Bridgwater, Calne and Chippenham.

One West MP said there was rightly pressure on the Government to hurry up with the new planning laws. “Developers would develop all round the area if they could, but we collectively have to decide how much development each area wants,” said Tory MP James Gray. “There is a lot of pressure on the Secretary of State to hurry up and change the law.”

I must admit, over building in villages is not good, but lots of new houses are required...

I must admit, over building in villages is not good, but lots of new houses are required...

Lots of new jobs are required to pay for them. ;)

More NIMBY nonsense from people who already have a home. Sorry but if we are in the EU and anyone can settle here, we need more homes.

Logically correct. If only logic prevailed in planning..

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Larkrise-housing-estate-Rush-build-near-villages/story-12955303-detail/story.html

NIMBY rhetoric aside, if this is true, it's excellent news:

"developers are “queuing up” to submit applications for hundreds of new homes on the edges of most of the West’s towns"

The West desperately need more homes.

Many areas here in the South need them too.

I do hope this government will finally unblock the planning system and allow for a much needed construction boom - good for jobs too. It may even trigger a recovery, and as it should help keep future properties prices down, it will also make this recovery sustainable (please see my sig., below).

"developers are “queuing up” to submit applications for hundreds of new homes on the edges of most of the West’s towns"

Submit applications yes, built anything, fat chance. No-one is lending money to buy anything, the builders are just playing the game and stacking up possibilities for the future, so they can drip feed houses onto the market at maximum profit.

The only people who will benefit from this "building boom" are scum BTL landlords. Houses prices will not be affected, the builders will make sure of that.

(...) Houses prices will not be affected, the builders will make sure of that.

You are saying that, if planning blockers are removed, then all British builders will manage to coordinate themselves, in a gigantic cartel, and "drip feed" the market, and keep house prices high?

Alright, so they build 1,500 homes in Lacock.

Where are the people who live there going to work?

If they do have jobs, how are they going to get there? How many jobs these days pay high enough wages to provide for living expenses and the purchase, insurance, taxing and maintenance of a car (cars if couples or groups with "mates mortgages") and for the increasing fuel bill for commuting?

Unless, of course, the homes are occupied by Wiltshire's current homeless. And how would that be paid for?

If they do have jobs, how are they going to get there? How many jobs these days pay high enough wages to provide for living expenses and the purchase, insurance, taxing and maintenance of a car (cars if couples or groups with "mates mortgages") and for the increasing fuel bill for commuting?

Unless, of course, the homes are occupied by Wiltshire's current homeless. And how would that be paid for?

Exactly. ;)

...so you could say this about every housing development, and before you know it, you aren't building anything...just how it is at the moment...

Tens of thousands of home to be built, when historically hundreds of thousands would be built.

and all because of "lax and liberal" current planning laws. Is it possible for them to be more restrictive? Lay a brick 1cm out and face life imprisonment, maybe? The nimbys would love that.

If you were right there would be no demand for theses houses. The developers there know otherwise.

The West desperately need more homes.

Many areas here in the South need them too.

I do hope this government will finally unblock the planning system and allow for a much needed construction boom - good for jobs too. It may even trigger a recovery, and as it should help keep future properties prices down, it will also make this recovery sustainable (please see my sig., below).

Im sure there is the occasional unspoilt village of tudor cottages, local stone built homes and so on. But 99% of villages are a mish mash of incredibly poor, unsympathetic post war planning. Petrol stations opposite quaint thatched homes, rusty garage blocks facing pleasant greens, 60s co-ops crammed between victorian terraces and so on.

Its almost laughable reading minutes from councillor meetings where they throw out applications for the usual fabricated reasons - new house wont be inkeeping (says councillor who lives in flat roofed 70s monstrosity sandwiched between two listed buildings etc)

You have to realise, these people are filthy LIARS. They know there is in 99% of cases no valid reason for not building, they simply believe less housing means their home will be worth more, screw the pain and heartache of overcrowded families, screw the ultimate inflationary cost for ALL of us

0511-1011-1315-0810_Fat_Cat_Banker_with_Lots_of_Money_Walking_Over_Ordicary_People_clipart_image.jpg

If you were right there would be no demand for theses houses. The developers there know otherwise.

Or are they simply deluding themselves that there are enough people in well-paid jobs within (what has been up until now) commuting distance of Lacock, who will pay a premium to "live the dream"™ in a village embodying a mythical English rural idyll?

Are they, in fact, wearing rose-tinted spectacles with integral blinkers?

Ironically, on its website, the National Trust flogs Lacock to prospective visitors as a "Charming rural village untouched by modern development".

By the way, Lacock is 25 miles from Swindon.

In a 20 mile radius of Swindon town centre, there are so many properties for sale on Rightmove that it can only tell you 1000+ detached houses, 1000+ semi-detached houses, 1000+ terraced houses, 1000+ flats, and 797 bungalows. I've included those sold STC because who knows how many of those sales will actually go through.

If I don't include properties sold STC, there will probably be fewer - there are 562 bungalows, for instance - but for the other four categories it's still 1000+.

So apparently there isn't a scarcity of property for sale in Wiltshire.

Or are they simply deluding themselves that there are enough people in well-paid jobs within (what has been up until now) commuting distance of Lacock, who will pay a premium to "live the dream"™ in a village embodying a mythical English rural idyll?

Are they, in fact, wearing rose-tinted spectacles with integral blinkers?

Ironically, on its website, the National Trust flogs Lacock to prospective visitors as a "Charming rural village untouched by modern development".

A developer than can build 1,500 homes is not an amateur or moron.

BTW, 1,500 houses in a little village?? Are you sure about that?

Ah...

In Lacock, a packed public meeting earlier this week heard how the village was under threat by the expansion of Chippenham to the north.

Now, IIRC we have already argued about this case before in this forum, and, again IIRC, the development wasn't even between that town and the village.

I suggest you do some research before posting again.

BTW, do you have your home already?

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Im sure there is the occasional unspoilt village of tudor cottages, local stone built homes and so on. But 99% of villages are a mish mash of incredibly poor, unsympathetic post war planning. Petrol stations opposite quaint thatched homes, rusty garage blocks facing pleasant greens, 60s co-ops crammed between victorian terraces and so on.

Its almost laughable reading minutes from councillor meetings where they throw out applications for the usual fabricated reasons - new house wont be inkeeping (says councillor who lives in flat roofed 70s monstrosity sandwiched between two listed buildings etc)

You have to realise, these people are filthy LIARS. They know there is in 99% of cases no valid reason for not building, they simply believe less housing means their home will be worth more, screw the pain and heartache of overcrowded families, screw the ultimate inflationary cost for ALL of us

0511-1011-1315-0810_Fat_Cat_Banker_with_Lots_of_Money_Walking_Over_Ordicary_People_clipart_image.jpg

+ 1

<snip> BTW, 1,500 houses in a little village?? Are you sure about that? <snip>

Well, that would be going on the story in the OP.

"And in pretty Lacock, where the popular TV drama Larkrise to Candleford was filmed, 1,500 homes have been earmarked along with a 28-hectare industrial estate, a prime example of the rush to build." http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Larkrise-housing-estate-Rush-build-near-villages/story-12955303-detail/story.html

However, I've now done some research.

The official document on Wiltshire County Council's website says

"An area of search is identified to the South West of Chippenham, which is suitable for a sustainable mixed use urban extension. The site extends from the A350 in the west to the River Avon in the east. The land includes a new strategically important employment site at Showell Farm, which offers the best potential to provide for job growth at the town due to its location and easy access

points adjacent to the A350. However, Showell Farm on its own is divorced from the town centre, and it therefore should form part of a high quality, sustainable urban extension to Chippenham, which is fully integrated to the existing town and town centre, including via the River Avon Corridor.

Development will need to respect the open landscape of the Rowden Conservation Area and avoid the flood plain. The two options provide for different levels of new homes during the plan period, as follows.

In option 1, this site will provide 28 hectares employment land and up to 1,500 dwellings.

In option 2, this site will provide 28 hectares employment land and up to 800 dwellings."

It also says "The Showell Farm employment site will be delivered first, to be followed by the housing. The new homes will be delivered after 2016 as part of a Phase 2 of development at Chippenham."

Showell Farm is 1.719 miles from Lacock Village (measuring by postcode). That doesn't measure the distance between the edge of the proposed development and the edge of the village, of course.

Oh, and within a 5 mile radius of Chippenham, there are 1,159 properties for sale including those STC, or 852 excluding those STC.

The point is, as numerous posters have said before on this forum, there isn't necessarily a lack of supply of homes in the UK. There's just a completely unsustainable situation when it comes to decent, secure living accommodation that people can afford, within a reasonable distance of jobs. When there are jobs.

I still ask, if this development does go ahead, who will be living in the homes and how will they be paying for them?

Well, that would be going on the story in the OP.

"And in pretty Lacock, where the popular TV drama Larkrise to Candleford was filmed, 1,500 homes have been earmarked along with a 28-hectare industrial estate, a prime example of the rush to build." http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Larkrise-housing-estate-Rush-build-near-villages/story-12955303-detail/story.html

However, I've now done some research.

The official document on Wiltshire County Council's website says

"An area of search is identified to the South West of Chippenham, which is suitable for a sustainable mixed use urban extension. The site extends from the A350 in the west to the River Avon in the east. The land includes a new strategically important employment site at Showell Farm, which offers the best potential to provide for job growth at the town due to its location and easy access

points adjacent to the A350. However, Showell Farm on its own is divorced from the town centre, and it therefore should form part of a high quality, sustainable urban extension to Chippenham, which is fully integrated to the existing town and town centre, including via the River Avon Corridor.

Development will need to respect the open landscape of the Rowden Conservation Area and avoid the flood plain. The two options provide for different levels of new homes during the plan period, as follows.

In option 1, this site will provide 28 hectares employment land and up to 1,500 dwellings.

In option 2, this site will provide 28 hectares employment land and up to 800 dwellings."

It also says "The Showell Farm employment site will be delivered first, to be followed by the housing. The new homes will be delivered after 2016 as part of a Phase 2 of development at Chippenham."

Showell Farm is 1.719 miles from Lacock Village (measuring by postcode). That doesn't measure the distance between the edge of the proposed development and the edge of the village, of course.

Oh, and within a 5 mile radius of Chippenham, there are 1,159 properties for sale including those STC, or 852 excluding those STC.

The point is, as numerous posters have said before on this forum, there isn't necessarily a lack of supply of homes in the UK. There's just a completely unsustainable situation when it comes to decent, secure living accommodation that people can afford, within a reasonable distance of jobs. When there are jobs.

I still ask, if this development does go ahead, who will be living in the homes and how will they be paying for them?

35% will be HA for starters... A lot of people in those parts will either commute to Bath or Bristol for work...

(...) there isn't necessarily a lack of supply of homes in the UK. There's just a completely unsustainable situation when it comes to decent, secure living accommodation that people can afford, within a reasonable distance of jobs. When there are jobs. (...)

You are weird. Either crazy and/or stupid and/or a VI.

You forgot to reply: Do you own your home?

You are weird. Either crazy and/or stupid and/or a VI.

You forgot to reply: Do you own your home?

Point 1: I'm not a VI. What vested interest would I have in houses in Wiltshire? I don't live in Wiltshire.

Also, I'm neither crazy nor stupid.

Point 2: Yes. The first and only house I've ever bought and the last I'm likely to buy. What does that have to do with the price of tripe?

And you forgot to reply, who is going to buy the 65% of the houses not HA (pace Mr Beans), what with, and where are they going to work? Where are their jobs going to be and how are they going to get there?

Good grief, man/woman/person, have you not noticed what's happening to jobs, to wages, to the price of fuel?

Point 1: I'm not a VI. What vested interest would I have in houses in Wiltshire? I don't live in Wiltshire.

Also, I'm neither crazy nor stupid.

Point 2: Yes. The first and only house I've ever bought and the last I'm likely to buy. What does that have to do with the price of tripe?

And you forgot to reply, who is going to buy the 65% of the houses not HA (pace Mr Beans), what with, and where are they going to work? Where are their jobs going to be and how are they going to get there?

Good grief, man/woman/person, have you not noticed what's happening to jobs, to wages, to the price of fuel?

There appears to a huge shortage of employment land in Chippenham

http://www.thechippenhamvision.co.uk/uploads/Chippenham%20Vision%20Employment%20Land.doc

Would be very interesting to see the unemployment stats for the area...I bet its well below the national average..