House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Downside

Lettings Agent Offered To Force A Viewing

Hi Guys

I booked to view a place today but received a message saying the viewing was cancelled as the tenant was sick. I phoned the agent to say that its fine we can arrange another time and he said that if I want we can force a viewing today as they have a right to show people around the place. Now I always thought it was your right as a tenant to refuse viewings or is this not the case?

I said I would contact him about viewing another time as I don't think its fair to go round someone's house while their ill and intrude on them. But it just seems a bit off the way he said it.

Hi Guys

I booked to view a place today but received a message saying the viewing was cancelled as the tenant was sick. I phoned the agent to say that its fine we can arrange another time and he said that if I want we can force a viewing today as they have a right to show people around the place. Now I always thought it was your right as a tenant to refuse viewings or is this not the case?

I said I would contact him about viewing another time as I don't think its fair to go round someone's house while their ill and intrude on them. But it just seems a bit off the way he said it.

You're right, they can't force a viewing. I'd also stay well away from any letting agent that thinks they can, not someone you want to be dealing with!

You're right, they can't force a viewing. I'd also stay well away from any letting agent that thinks they can, not someone you want to be dealing with!

Yea I thought as much, if they are going to force a viewing on the current tenant they are likely to do the same if I was the tenant. This was the online only agent as well so think its a small operation who assume they can get away with these things.

It could even be dangerous. You are essentially breaking into someone else's home. Lets see how the agent reacts when he opens the door to find a naked knifeman intent on protecting his belongings. Any agreement the tenant may have signed is a private contract and not a matter for the police.