House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brassed off brit

Don't Get Sick!

Talking to an old mate today who is a nurse and he was in a right militant mood, when we got talking about the cuts he became really agitated,

He ranted there was no way they are taking our pensions! most nurses feel the same and we want to strike. I said what about

those in hospitals needing care and he said "don't get sick, the only people who wont go out are those on the kids wards we have had enough!

He went on to say that one union has changed it's constitution to allow strikes for the first time ever. he did say that it would be all out or none

and is awaiting his ballot paper.

I can understand his position, he explained what he would be faced with if the govt got its way and it would hit them hard as his wife is a nurse too.

Things are about to get interesting methinks, who will back down, unions or gov't? who get's sued if people die because of a shortage of nurses?

it's like the teachers who are 'in teaching for the love of the job' or 'the kids' but 'love' in that context seems to start at £30k p.a. and 2/3 final salary.

I respect teachers and nurses who won't strike out of a sense of duty to those in their care.

if the pays cr@p they should move on and earn more in the private sector.

You won't earn any more in the private sector as a nurse.

Talking to an old mate today who is a nurse and he was in a right militant mood, when we got talking about the cuts he became really agitated,

He ranted there was no way they are taking our pensions! most nurses feel the same and we want to strike. I said what about

those in hospitals needing care and he said "don't get sick, the only people who wont go out are those on the kids wards we have had enough!

He went on to say that one union has changed it's constitution to allow strikes for the first time ever. he did say that it would be all out or none

and is awaiting his ballot paper.

I can understand his position, he explained what he would be faced with if the govt got its way and it would hit them hard as his wife is a nurse too.

Things are about to get interesting methinks, who will back down, unions or gov't? who get's sued if people die because of a shortage of nurses?

It's not just the hospital based nurses working in areas where people can die the politicians will worry about, its all the support services, community services and lengthening of waiting lists that will cause monster headaches following a nurses strike.

Nurses work harder and longer hours than teachers. That's why so many women choose to retrain as teachers (and not nurses) once they've had kids - the hours suit them. They won't be leaving in droves if they don't get the fat pensions they believe they deserve. Because there's no job that's quite as nicely paid, stable, virtuous and holiday filled as a teaching job. Nurses however deserve better. Fact.