House Price Crash Forum
beccles

£700,000 Garage... With A Room Thrown In

One of the tiniest houses ever to appear on the market in Knightsbridge is attracting frenzied interest with dozens of potential bidders from as far afield as Hong Kong and the Middle East.

The one up, one down home, effectively a parking space with a room above, has had 40 viewings in a fortnight and is going to sealed bids next week.

It is expected to attract offers well above the £700,000 asking price. The buyer can expect to part with at least £1 million once costs and modernisation are factored in.

The house in Cheval Place, a few minutes from Harrods and Hyde Park, was originally a mews serving one of the grand homes on Brompton Square. It last changed hands in 1954 for £2,500, and the shabby "time-warp" interior needs total refurbishment.

Downstairs is a narrow parking space, a cramped kitchen and a minute shower-room. A tight staircase leads to the single upstairs space. The total interior area is 550 feet, about the same as a small one-bed flat.

Lucy Blythe, associate director at agents Savills Knightsbridge, said: "I think everyone recognises that any freehold property under £1 million in Knightsbridge in such a fantastic location rarely comes to the market, so when it does everybody comes out of the woodwork." She added: "The parking is very rare and is generating the most interest. We've dropped leaflets to the houses in all the neighbouring squares. Some people are looking at it as a studio room to work in upstairs with the parking below.

"Others want to take away the garage and put a bathroom upstairs to make it a proper one-bed house. We had one call via our Hong Kong office asking if it would be possible to go up into the roof. And some people are looking at it as somewhere for their kids in future."

A similar, slightly bigger house nearby is on the market for £1.15 million.

exteriorgarage_415.jpg

My link

:o

I expect that it's freehold has a fairly big impact on things.

Edited by beccles

I wonder if there is anything to stop you knocking it down and build a 4 storey high house on the space.

Might be worth the money if you can as it would leave you with a decent town house with a big garage.

I wonder if there is anything to stop you knocking it down and build a 4 storey high house on the space.

Might be worth the money if you can as it would leave you with a decent town house with a big garage.

the fact that it's in the "Kensington and Chelsea Brompton Conservation Area"

Been saying for some time, prime areas in london are going nuts,this just proves it.

Seems a lot of interest from abroad & likely to go to sealed bids.

£1m for that inc costs of modernizing,simply nuts!

Some people are looking at it as a studio room to work in upstairs with the parking below.

this seems likely to me, someone or other with millions to spare wants a trendy post industrial looking bolt hole next to harrods. Nice.

Oxford equivalent

This one amazed me. The garage is larger than the living/bed room, but would still struggle to accomodate an average size car.

Which is it?

This one

30431_1232ARE0_IMG_07_0000.jpg

Or this one from the same listing?

30431_1232ARE0_IMG_08_0000.jpg

Or both? Pic one seems nice a nice little pub?