House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mumblesmental

Interesting One....

This house was on with We Will Homes for some time.The asking price was offers around 500k.It did not sell and was put up for auction recently, from what i gather it was then sold and withdrawn from said auction.Bearing in mind the asking price 500k (it appears to need alot of work) why is it now straight back on the market at 575k!!!

http://www.gowercoastproperties.com/property_search/index.asp?WCI=Particular&WCE=002153657&CURRENCY=GBP

One born every minute!

I thought similar.

I would rather not comment on Gower Coast's asking prices. At the end of the day they can stick a house on for whatever price they wish and if someone wants to pay that then they can.

I think other EAs in Mumbles are beginning to realise that Mumbles is not special and, so I have been told in the last week, are beginning to panic about how few houses are selling.

I think some are realising that they have created a rod for their own back with high valuations - if being an EA is your hobby then it does not matter, if being an EA is how you feed your family and pay the bills then it is a huge problem

I do wonder what asking prices would be like in Swansea West if Gower Coast did not exist?

Talking of the Gower, does anyone remember this incident at Oxwich Bay in 1994, or what happened to any of those affected?

[source: The Environment Digest issue 1995 / 2 ]

Investigation rules out pollution in Welsh paralysis cases

UK environmental health experts have ruled out a specific link between polluted sea water and serious illnesses suffered by people after swimming in Oxwich Bay off the Gower peninsula, South Wales. They concluded that the viral infections which led to in paralysis and a range of other complaints could have been acquired before or after visiting the beach.

Environmental groups criticized the investigation as superficial and pointed out that the bathing areas in question were affected by sewage discharges from nearby towns. They also called for far more stringent monitoring of water quality and pollution by the National Rivers Authority (NRA) and specific measures to detect the thousands of viruses known to be borne by sewage and chemical discharges.

The investigation into the possible health hazard at Oxwich Bay was launched after two teenagers suffered paralysis after swimming there in August 1994. They are still confined to wheelchairs. Other bathers had complained of burning skin sensations, blurred vision and numbness in their arms and legs.

There were about twenty teenagers affected in total and the incident was followed by a public inquiry and a TV documentary, I think by Yorkshire TV. It was then apparently forgotten, leaving some young lives utterly devastated.

Edited by The Spaniard

Oxwich Bay has a history of having stuff washed ashore from container ships dumping stuff out in the Channel.

Which is of course bound to push up house prices there....

Oxwich Bay has a history of having stuff washed ashore from container ships dumping stuff out in the Channel.

Yes, one possible explanation put forward was organophosphate poisoning due to dumping.

Reportedly certain sheep dipping processes using organophosphates had been made illegal.

I guess we'll never know.

There are plenty of sheep areas above the bay so in theory, if powerful chemicals had been used, they could wash down into the bay - agricultural wash-out is a big problem around UK waters.

I surf - badly - in Llangennith and the water is mostly clear but occasionally the rivers that run into the bay turn a rather nasty brown and surfers keep clear of it.