House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Iphone And Ipad Apps Hiked Up To 25%

UK - money printing sucker economy.

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2011/07/iphone_ipad_app_prices_hiked_up_to_25/

News

Posted 14th July 2011 at 3:01pm by Jonathan Leggett

iPhone and iPad apps are now up to 25 per cent more expensive, as conditions in the wider economy impact on the UK’s most popular application market.

Under the new pricing regimen, apps previously priced £3.99 are now £4.99. Meanwhile, entry-level titles that had been 59p are now 69p.

The changes follow Apple adjusting the minimum price bands for the wares on offer at its download markets across the globe in response to “changes in foreign exchange rates and local tax laws”.

This means that while the UK feels the sting of higher asking prices, in other territories, such as Australia, charges have actually fallen.

Makes sense if you're a foreign developer and the buyer is British. Exchange rate chanegs mean you was getting less local currency for the sale made in £.

A British dev and a British buyer just means the buyer has to pay more and the seller gets more money.

Therefore British price and wages inflation, downward the spiral of pound value, in a spiral :(

Do you know you have to register and PAY to develop apps for Apple devices? I'll be going through the process any day now.

Oh, for the days

Do you know you have to register and PAY to develop apps for Apple devices? I'll be going through the process any day now.

Oh, for the days

Meh! Give me an Android phone, any day!

Apparently, the phone manufacturers are becoming less keen to lock down their phones too. It is all sounding very much like the IBM/Apple/PC battle of the 80s and we all know what happened there - the open standard won the day, as cheap competition drove down prices*.

I fully expect open source solutions on open hardware, like the Linux based Android platform, will win the day. I also expect Linux to displace MS*/Apple on the desktop too, in the fullness of time (Linux is just about everywhere else already!).

* Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if the pirating of MS software lead to them becoming the dominant PC platform. I remember when my father bought our family PC in the 90s and the shop gave us Windows for free 'under the counter'. IMO, the MS monopoly is cracking though and their greed my be their undoing.

Edited by Traktion

You may laugh if you dont belong to the Apple religion. But us Appleheads have been looking forward to this day all year. Finally we get a chance to use version 11 of the new Iprice.

BTW, I found this interesting:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/05/12/the-top-20-strongholds-for-desktop-linux/

Linux still has a very small share of the traditional desktop (read: not tablet or smart phone), despite being the most popular OS in the world (servers, embedded solutions etc). What is really interesting is the list of countries which have embraced it - Cuba and Venezuela (1 and 2) are probably very anti-US, which could be part of the reason. Others at the top include rather poor regions (for obvious reasons), but there is a decent toe hold in some European countries.

With the likes of Ubuntu becoming rather good and easy to maintain/use now (I much prefer it to Windows, personally), it will be interesting to keep an eye on in the coming years. If the pace of hardware development slows, as even old desktops/laptops become sufficiently fast to last for many years, then I can see people considering the switch. Either way, Linux on the desktop is here to stay.

EDIT: To add, with the web browser become central to people's usage, the Google Chromebook (on Linux) could be interesting too. Chrome is already brilliant on Linux, so it should work well. Perhaps the desktop as we know it will cease to be important, at which point the OS becomes less important than the browser. As you can recompile the OS from source, it also means it can run on any device with driver support (such as ARM, as often used in smart phones)... Intel, MS and Apple may find competition hotting up! It will be interesting to watch this unfold in the coming years.

Edited by Traktion

Oh, for the days

Seriously, I prefer it this way as it allows them to at least have some control over the quality of apps.

Android is free and look at the ratio of dross to stuff you would actually use on that. I'm including free apps in this btw - the vast majority of those are the digital equivalent of landfill.

Edit: Actually, I think you have to pay to register with Google to market Android apps as well but it's maybe cheaper than Apple.

Edited by efdemin

Seriously, I prefer it this way as it allows them to at least have some control over the quality of apps.

Android is free and look at the ratio of dross to stuff you would actually use on that. I'm including free apps in this btw - the vast majority of those are the digital equivalent of landfill.

Edit: Actually, I think you have to pay to register with Google to market Android apps as well but it's maybe cheaper than Apple.

You can just download apps and install them manually too, if you don't want to use the market. The market makes it very easy though.

(EDIT: For developers only), there appears to be a small, one off registration fee too: http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/android/publish-to-android-market/. I haven't used this yet, but I plan to do some Android development at some point.

Also, if you filter your market by ratings, you will find that the chaff quickly sinks to the bottom anyway. It is easiest to use your web browser to install the apps too, rather than the phone app - https://market.android.com/

Edited by Traktion

Slightly OT, but if anyone is interested in browser stats, this page shows a good chart:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-200907-201106

It shows how much Internet Explorer has fallen and how much Google Chrome has grown. If it continues at this rate, Chrome could be the most used browser within a year or so. It is also based on the open source Apple Web Kit (I'm impressed with Apple for this, at least!). Incidentally, Chrome and Firefox run very well on Linux too (which is one reason why Google using it for the Chromebook).

EDIT: http://www.google.co.uk/chromebook/ - I didn't realise you could already buy them in the UK. I wonder how they're selling? I guess they haven't started pushing them much yet, but I noticed the Chrome adverts on recently. I wonder if that is prep work?

Edited by Traktion

The pricing on those Chromebooks is ridiculous. They need to get these things under a ton and/or supply with all you can eat 3G mobile internet access to be serious competition against a 'proper' laptop or netbook.

Agreed. There seem to be a fair few all stuck at around £349. I'd not even consider until they are £200ish. I'd also have to check out chrome OS without splashing out first.

Meh! Give me an Android phone, any day!

Apparently, the phone manufacturers are becoming less keen to lock down their phones too. It is all sounding very much like the IBM/Apple/PC battle of the 80s and we all know what happened there - the open standard won the day, as cheap competition drove down prices*.

I fully expect open source solutions on open hardware, like the Linux based Android platform, will win the day. I also expect Linux to displace MS*/Apple on the desktop too, in the fullness of time (Linux is just about everywhere else already!).

* Incidentally, I wouldn't be surprised if the pirating of MS software lead to them becoming the dominant PC platform. I remember when my father bought our family PC in the 90s and the shop gave us Windows for free 'under the counter'. IMO, the MS monopoly is cracking though and their greed my be their undoing.

Kind of OT but who cares:

I like Linux but I've got Windows 7 on my new laptop and I'm sticking with it. Really fast, works great, handles connectivity nicely and even the UI is pleasant to look at. The breaking of the MS monopoly seems to have forced them into sorting their shit out. This free market thing might work after all :)

Main problem I have with Linux is the power management and battery life on laptops. I always like using Ubuntu but then dump it because of the crap battery life.