House Price Crash Forum

If Society Collapsed Next Month....

TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA441

You know what those crazy goldbugs are like. They don't just stop at just gold hoarding.

People of that cautious mindset have got all sorts of other stuff stashed away as well. They have fun planning it all - it's a harmless hobby.

This is very true.

I have what i call a 'lights off' box - called after all the power cuts my family used to experience when i was growing up.

It's not a lot of stuff but it's all useful.

Some long life foods

Candles

Good camping stove

Wind up torch

First Aid Kit

Microblanket

Extra Ibuprofen/Paracetamol/Hay Fever medicine

Packet of disposable razors and some loo rolls

A few other bits and bobs

Really it all has other uses like going to festivals or running out of some of the basics when you cba to go to the shops etc. but if society collapsed tomorrow, and infrastructure with it, i wonder how many people would be able to light their homes or eat a warm dinner....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Just had a thought, if the banks collapsed next month and the gold bugs were laughing at us all...how would they actually:

1) Get their gold/paper gold ( :rolleyes: ) ?

2) Protect their gold ?

3) Spend their gold ?

I'd not want to trade them for gold, I'd want to trade them for food.

...you could smelt them down and make golden arrows....you will become a tribal chieften fast that way..... :rolleyes:

HOLA443

... just individual men and women?

:)

Which is why Margaret Thatcher said:

There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I live next to a pond with lots of ducks and geese so I could kidnap some and keep them in my shed. I'd be willing to trade for chocolate, soap, candles, weapons, toothpaste, gold and toilet paper - any takers?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Who knows, this is the country where fugly celebs like Krust and fil managed to hoodwink millions into thinking a broom cupboard is worth ten years wages.

That in mind, i think my chances are pretty good.

Good point.

I met someone at university a few years ago who was adament that humans could not survive without central heating....

(well he thought that until he met me and I pointed out that I was doing not too bad having lived my entire life without it)

HOLA448

This is very true.

I have what i call a 'lights off' box - called after all the power cuts my family used to experience when i was growing up.

It's not a lot of stuff but it's all useful.

Some long life foods

Candles

Good camping stove

Wind up torch

First Aid Kit

Microblanket

Extra Ibuprofen/Paracetamol/Hay Fever medicine

Packet of disposable razors and some loo rolls

A few other bits and bobs

Really it all has other uses like going to festivals or running out of some of the basics when you cba to go to the shops etc. but if society collapsed tomorrow, and infrastructure with it, i wonder how many people would be able to light their homes or eat a warm dinner....

ok that's a start, the loo roll isn't that necessary btw, get some penicillin or other antibiotic, you don't want to die of septicemia after cutting yourself on a razor do you?

I've got a 9mm automatic in my kit but let's not get too excited, a 9mm won't be much good against a few guys with AK47s, it may dissuade a casual thief or looter.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate.

Why do these right wing politicians expect people to take responsibility when the people's ability

to respond (responsibility) is deliberately deprived of them by the state?

If they really want people to take responsibility, they should stop making land and resources the hostage

of capital.

Liberate it & let people organize & take the things they need to be responsible.

HOLA4412

Just had a thought, if the banks collapsed next month and the gold bugs were laughing at us all...how would they actually:

1) Get their gold/paper gold ( :rolleyes: ) ?

2) Protect their gold ?

3) Spend their gold ?

I'd not want to trade them for gold, I'd want to trade them for food.

Who says the public will trade with Gold?

What thick b'stards would possibly want the same bunch of ursury thieves & organised Religin in charge of their means of exchange again esp as 'they' already have large amounts of it stored up?

Maybe thats what it means in the Bible - where the 'Traders' are left crying?

(There was 9/11 Towers)

Rev 18:11-13 Bible

And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise anymore:

The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones .....

And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise anymore:

You Gold bugs better have a #2 :P

HOLA4413

The way I see it a typical goldbug would wait till society sorts itself out after a year or so, then trade back for paper and buy up assets, The idea of a goldbug heading to the shop with a krugerrand for a loaf of bread is lunacy, not in a million years.

Exactly when the collaspe comes you shove all your gold up your bum and pretend to be poor like everybody else.

When the reset is over THEN you trade it for hard income generating assets.

The alternativet is to stuff them up your bum and run for the airport and buy you way out to a safer country and change the sovs for whatever currency they are using. Sit it out for a while and when the hyper is over change back.

HOLA4414

ok that's a start, the loo roll isn't that necessary btw, get some penicillin or other antibiotic, you don't want to die of septicemia after cutting yourself on a razor do you?

I've got a 9mm automatic in my kit but let's not get too excited, a 9mm won't be much good against a few guys with AK47s, it may dissuade a casual thief or looter.

Guile can overcome insurmountable odds. As said you find a bunch of friendly people to 'club together for security and share food' you take the first watch, in the morning everybody but you have their throat cut.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Who says the public will trade with Gold?

What thick b'stards would possibly want the same bunch of ursury thieves & organised Religin in charge of their means of exchange again esp as 'they' already have large amounts of it stored up?

Maybe thats what it means in the Bible - where the 'Traders' are left crying?

(There was 9/11 Towers)

Rev 18:11-13 Bible

The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones .....

You Gold bugs better have a #2 :P

TJ Hughes

HOLA4417

The underlaying message of 'Tapestry'

(coming from someone married to an oil multi-millionaire)

was "Hanging" - as in drapery on a wall!

How many of the rich who got richer in the USA support any of the 40 million on foodstamps unable to get a job & 'hung' out to die dry?

Cos the rich decided their companies would sit on Trillions of $$$ of cash reserves and not expand, hire or invest?

HOLA4418

I live next to a pond with lots of ducks and geese so I could kidnap some and keep them in my shed. I'd be willing to trade for chocolate, soap, candles, weapons, toothpaste, gold and toilet paper - any takers?

Will you accept lead?

There are a lot more illegally held guns floating about in the UK than there were 30 or 40 years ago.

In the case of a true social breakdown, don't expect orderly queues and exact change to be given.

Anyone remember the "battle of Primark"?

2PeopleCrushedREX_468x385.jpg

3PeopleCrushedREX_468x315.jpg

primoutDM0504_468x330.jpg

Imagine those same people with empty bellies.

HOLA4419

Why don't you just buy some chocolate, soap, candles, (weapons?!), toothpaste and toilet paper now and eat the ducks?

I still have my tuna stockpile from '08 - bargain too!

HOLA4420

If someone is prepping for a collapse then gold is a store of excess wealth. No one is going to put everything into gold without covering all of their bases and that means a stock of food and goods. What is the point in buying sovs to trade for food when you could just buy the food now when it is abundant and cheap?

Gold is a store of wealth, it isnt to get you through a collapse because if you are clued up enough and have enough spare wealth to be buying gold then you will likely be ok, gold is seed money for the other side.

Back to the op, who gets their paper gold? No one, just like anyone that had numbers in a bank.

How to protect your gold? Dont advertise it, who knows that you have it? are people going to start randomly turning houses over incase you have some?

How will you spend it? On land or property, as seed money at the bottom. If it is needed sooner then I would spend it with local farmers for meat.

Gold isnt a store of wealth it is a store of excess wealth, if someone expects the worst then they cover the other eventualities. Do people really think that 'goldbugs' just sit on a horde of sovs thinking that the coins are an answer to everything?

Bugs arent as dim as the fools that berate them imo.

HOLA4421
If Society Collapsed Next Month.... What would you do...how would the gold bugs trade their gold ?

They would invest in tins of baked beans, toilet rolls, and as a treat many pizzas, not forgetting to have a supply of carry plastic water bottles, top up their super duper mobile phones and an adequate supply and ensuring a supply of spring water in bottles from their local supermarket. :D

HOLA4422

If someone is prepping for a collapse then gold is a store of excess wealth. No one is going to put everything into gold without covering all of their bases and that means a stock of food and goods. What is the point in buying sovs to trade for food when you could just buy the food now when it is abundant and cheap?

Gold is a store of wealth, it isnt to get you through a collapse because if you are clued up enough and have enough spare wealth to be buying gold then you will likely be ok, gold is seed money for the other side.

Back to the op, who gets their paper gold? No one, just like anyone that had numbers in a bank.

How to protect your gold? Dont advertise it, who knows that you have it? are people going to start randomly turning houses over incase you have some?

How will you spend it? On land or property, as seed money at the bottom. If it is needed sooner then I would spend it with local farmers for meat.

Gold isnt a store of wealth it is a store of excess wealth, if someone expects the worst then they cover the other eventualities. Do people really think that 'goldbugs' just sit on a horde of sovs thinking that the coins are an answer to everything?

Bugs arent as dim as the fools that berate them imo.

Ermm...

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Errrmmmm....what?

Show me a bug that is expecting the worst and hasnt done anything else but buy gold.

How exactly am I supposed to do this ? Unfortunately I don't have the personal details of every aspect of the life of every gold bug.

The vast majority of these people will have bought gold and yet have zero idea of simple other things like how to start a fire or similar. To say they are expecting the worst is ridiculous. Most are simply holding onto one thing in the hope that they get slightly less ******ed over than everyone else. Nothing more - nothing less.

HOLA4425

They would invest in tins of baked beans, toilet rolls, and as a treat many pizzas, not forgetting to have a supply of carry plastic water bottles, top up their super duper mobile phones and an adequate supply and ensuring a supply of spring water in bottles from their local supermarket. :D

All that is pointless, as I have said before large stashes are pointless, small stashes are OK, but big immobile hard to defend stashes are bad news and only attract trouble.

In the event of a collapse people like myself will simply eliminate you and take it from you by force. Do you have any ballistic armor, firearms, bows, and or martial arts training? How would you prevent me from setting your house on fire and smoking you out? You sit still you die from smoke inhalation. You come out you get shot.