House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

If Society Collapsed Next Month....

Just had a thought, if the banks collapsed next month and the gold bugs were laughing at us all...how would they actually:

1) Get their gold/paper gold ( :rolleyes: ) ?

2) Protect their gold ?

3) Spend their gold ?

I'd not want to trade them for gold, I'd want to trade them for food.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

You know what those crazy goldbugs are like. They don't just stop at just gold hoarding.

People of that cautious mindset have got all sorts of other stuff stashed away as well. They have fun planning it all - it's a harmless hobby.

Guest spp

In such a situation 'they' lose control...so you can pretty much rule out a collapse.

An hyperinflationary event could be over quickly. Those digits would become worthless...hard assets on the other hand!

Keep it up Gold/Silver hate brigade...we love cheap metal. ;)

You know what those crazy goldbugs are like. They don't just stop at just gold hoarding.

People of that cautious mindset have got all sorts of other stuff stashed away as well. They have fun planning it all - it's a harmless hobby.

good point, i have 2 freezer full of food. :unsure:

and a bunker of tins :unsure:

Just had a thought, if the banks collapsed next month and the gold bugs were laughing at us all...how would they actually:

2) Protect their gold ?

3) Spend their gold ?

I'd not want to trade them for gold, I'd want to trade them for food.

I've got potatoes, what are you going to give me in return?

Mine's less than 10 feet away. No biggie.

2) Protect their gold ?

Who knows I have it? (You lot yes, but you don't know where I live.)

3) Spend their gold ?

From a blog about the Argentinian collapse:

So, my advice, if you are preparing for a small economical crisis, gold coins make sense. You will keep the value of the stuff and be able to sell it for its actual cost to gold dealers or maybe other survivalists that know the true value of the item.

In my case, gold coins would have been an excellent investment, saving me from loosing money when the local economy crashed. Even though things are bad, I can go to a bank down town and get paid for what a gold coin is truly worth, same goes for pure silver. But where I live, in my local are small time dealers will only pay you the value of junk gold, no matter what kind of gold you have. So, I'd have to say that if TSHTF bad, gold jewelry is a better trade item than gold coins.

LINK

If society collapsed, the first thing i would do is find someone with more gold than me, hunt him down like a mouse, without mercy, and take his gold.

Survival of the fittest and all that.

After that i would set about forming an army and getting weapons.

If society collapsed, the first thing i would do is find someone with more gold than me, hunt him down like a mouse, without mercy, and take his gold.

Survival of the fittest and all that.

After that i would set about forming an army and getting weapons.

Do you think that you'd get a bigger army than someone who's been offering potential soldiers food and shelter instead of heavy shiny bits of metal?

Do you think that you'd get a bigger army than someone who's been offering potential soldiers food and shelter instead of heavy shiny bits of metal?

Who knows, this is the country where fugly celebs like Krust and fil managed to hoodwink millions into thinking a broom cupboard is worth ten years wages.

That in mind, i think my chances are pretty good.

Indeed. And this whole 'we're living in the last days of Rome' harp is boring and silly. Can we get back to discussing actual macroeconomics?

We are in a decline and fall of Rome scenario, but that took several generations so wasn't much apparent from the inside.

There are failed societies in the modern world we can take as role models. Try Somalia, interest in gold is negligible, the AK47 is the currency of choice for the discerning businessman. Gold is a hedge against inflation, not a hedge against TEOTWAWKI.

Come TEOTWAWKI you want...

- Guns

- Land

- Pickups

- Like-minded friends

As Nathan Rothschild didn't say: I don't care who owns the food when I've got a machine gun.

Purely for the fun of it...
If society collapsed next month an iron bar would be a damn sight more useful than a gold one.
100% Correct.

Come TEOTWAWKI you want...

- Guns

- Land

- Pickups

- Like-minded friends

First item on the list gets you all the others. It probably the primary reason the elites have had the plebs strippped of their firearms. Now only the landed gentry have guns.

Giving myself half a bar of chocolate as a reward for working out PDQ that TEOTWAWKI means the end of the world as we know it, mmmm peanuts n chocolate

The way I see it a typical goldbug would wait till society sorts itself out after a year or so, then trade back for paper and buy up assets, The idea of a goldbug heading to the shop with a krugerrand for a loaf of bread is lunacy, not in a million years.

I don't think it's reasonable to prepare for a total collapse. Unless you're the most ruthless person around and are willing to join a band of cannibals who hunt other people for food, you probably won't survive a total collapse. I'm far from the most ruthless person, and would probably just become food for someone else.

More likely would be a time of troubles, with lots of inflation, lots of investments going bad, lots of crime and civil disorder. My strategy is to spread assets around in as many asset classes as possible (PMs, collectibles, real estate, shares, bonds, cash, supplies, foreign investments, etc.) Hopefully, I won't lose everything and end up destitute when we come out the other side.

I suppose we also need to be prepared in case there's no collapse or time of troubles. For this reason, we can't go too heavy on the tangibles, and need some conventional investments, too.