House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Singapore's Economy Stalls As Manufacturing Slumps

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14148995

Singapore's economic growth stalled in the second quarter as manufacturing activity in the country plunged.

Growth was 0.5% in the three months to the end of June compared with a year earlier, a sharp decline from 9.3% growth in the previous quarter.

Singapore authorites said the sharp turnaround was led by a drop in demand for semiconductor computer chips.

Manufacturing was down 5.5% in the second quarter compared with a year ago.

Off a cliff.

Singapore is too expensive to build that sort of stuff now , it's all going to Chi-com.

They should move into developed world paradigms like the service economy and a strong financial sector.

Create pieces of paper instead of manufactured goods , it's the future!

Yeah ultra-high value manufacturing, oil refining, bioscience, a sound banking system and properly managed currency - these guys in Singapore are properly ******ed!

We need to send in a crack team of economic advisers to sort their shit out and share in our Western prosperity. How about "The Benny Hill Boys" - Mervyn '****' King, Gordon 'Malignant Narcissist' Brown and Ed 'So What' Balls?

Yeah ultra-high value manufacturing, oil refining, bioscience, a sound banking system and properly managed currency - these guys in Singapore are properly ******ed!

We need to send in a crack team of economic advisers to sort their shit out and share in our Western prosperity. How about "The Benny Hill Boys" - Mervyn '****' King, Gordon 'Malignant Narcissist' Brown and Ed 'So What' Balls?

Good comment.

Singapore's economy is well run - that I totally agreed. Ultra high value manufacturing? There isn't any there I am afraid.. Those electronics firms are mostly western own and the ultra high value stuffs are done at home country..

There is a slight issue with Singapore currency board system which is effectively a soft peg against USD/GBP/EUR/Yen basket. As none of these currencies are really 'sound' - I am unsure what that really means to SGD (and SGD is not SWF)....

Singapore's economy is well run - that I totally agreed. Ultra high value manufacturing? There isn't any there I am afraid.. Those electronics firms are mostly western own and the ultra high value stuffs are done at home country..

There is a slight issue with Singapore currency board system which is effectively a soft peg against USD/GBP/EUR/Yen basket. As none of these currencies are really 'sound' - I am unsure what that really means to SGD (and SGD is not SWF)....

Chill, I was just being facetious. You're right, all the manufacturing does seem to be FDI, but bottom line is they're pretty well placed - geographically, financially and strategically.

I've got no experience of Singapore beyond having a few colleagues from there. They prefer the liberal culture of life in London (and our weather) but still speak highly of life at home. I hope to visit one day soon.

Something I have researched in more detail is MAS - the monetary authority of Singapore and their exchange-rate targeting system to manage inflation. Mervyn K*** might want to do some research of his own on that front.

Singapore is too expensive to build that sort of stuff now , it's all going to Chi-com.

They should move into developed world paradigms like the service economy and a strong financial sector.

Create pieces of paper instead of manufactured goods , it's the future!

None of which accounts for the sudden, of-a-cliff drop in the second quarter. Singapore has stormed through the credit crunch, along with all the Asian economies. Hope it's not a canary in the coalmine signal for the region as a whole - if so, we're double stuffed in the West.

I've got no experience of Singapore beyond having a few colleagues from there. They prefer the liberal culture of life in London (and our weather) but still speak highly of life at home. I hope to visit one day soon.

Something I have researched in more detail is MAS - the monetary authority of Singapore and their exchange-rate targeting system to manage inflation. Mervyn K*** might want to do some research of his own on that front.

Interesting. Singaporean that I meet here are busy slagging off their dictatorship (despite their good material life that they enjoy)...

Yap - Singapore MAS have moved the exchange rate up to dampen inflationary pressures while index-linked pension King tries to 'stimulate' the economy..

However, if you hand MAS a USD, they will have to print SGD1.21 in return. Currencies like GBP are backed by British productivities, while SGD is backed

by the GBP/USD/EUR/Yen that they have. Not entirely sure which system is better, but can't help to think that if UK/US/Europe go down, Singapore will survive...

None of which accounts for the sudden, of-a-cliff drop in the second quarter. Singapore has stormed through the credit crunch, along with all the Asian economies. Hope it's not a canary in the coalmine signal for the region as a whole - if so, we're double stuffed in the West.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8ccb80f6-add2-11e0-9038-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1S6GC1f9f

The FT throws some light on the matter. Supply chain problems due to the Japan quake and falling demand from the west being the main culprits.

Asia has failed to build the internal market it needs to be able to insulate itself from problems in the west.

As Europe and the US experience economic pain leading to falling demand, the pain is getting passed down the line. Singapore is at the high value end of things which is unsurprisingly where the trouble starts to show. China up next? :unsure: