House Price Crash Forum
Civil Servant

Sunday Times - Out Of Property Into Gold?

Interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday where David Budworth examines the recent rise in Gold prices and wonders whether it is the next 'big thing'. He hedges his bets in the article itself, but I thought it interesting that the Sunday papers are even talking about Gold and giving exposure to bullish arguments on the subject (although, interestingly, the Sunday Times seems a lot better at realising 'vested interest' arguments in Gold than it ever did re. property).

It seems that there are now fewer articles on the joys of BTL and that the journos are beginning to wake up to the fact that there are other, better, investment opportunities out there. Interesting.

Moderators: apologies if you think this should be on the 'investment' thread.

Interesting article in the Sunday Times yesterday where David Budworth examines the recent rise in Gold prices and wonders whether it is the next 'big thing'.

Ho hum, looks like the top of the Gold market is near then. Generally my rule of thumb is that by the time the Sunday papers cotton onto an idea the best returns are over. Might be another 20-30% left to go though. :rolleyes:

My sentiments too - I'd take this as an 'Amber light' on Gold. By my 'press-ometer' I'd reckon there is still some mileage left in Gold - it was only one, fairly balanced, article. When you have several very bullish articles in the Guardian, Telegraph and Times and the odd one starts appearing in the Mail or Express then its probably time to sell.....

Cool..

a lump of shiny stuff..

We know how much we have,... what it's worth..

but it might suddenly turn into a speculative market

Good.. get out of housing moron... I just want a home..

David Budworth examines the recent rise in Gold prices and wonders whether it is the next 'big thing'.

IT WAS the next big thing three years ago. Where was he?

It IS the investment of the moment, and once teh crowd gets fully onboard, being led by the likes of Budworth at a late stage, it will be time to exit, and move onto the next big thing. My guess is that will be alternative energy

I agree entirely with this. While I am nowhere near as financially literate as your good self, my feeling at the moment is that gold has had a good run. There is still some mileage in it but with every increase the risks increase. People do of course hold physical gold for economic safety but the mining stocks will have to fall at some point.

Personally I've been thinking about alternative energy stocks for some time.

David Budworth examines the recent rise in Gold prices and wonders whether it is the next 'big thing'.

IT WAS the next big thing three years ago. Where was he?

It IS the investment of the moment, and once teh crowd gets fully onboard, being led by the likes of Budworth at a late stage, it will be time to exit, and move onto the next big thing. My guess is that will be alternative energy

What about silver? It does seem at present to be seriously underpriced (relative to gold) as a precious metal plus there's a genuine industrial demand.

Guest KingCharles1st

I agree- alternative energy is the route to take, but unfortunatley most "new" energy is actually recycled. Whats needed is to find an associated "root & core need" technology, or firm, and investigate it's growth potential.

We are unfortuantely still a very long way off from door to door salesmen coming to sell you a new energy package that will save you (and the planet) squillions...

So much of the potential valuation of renewable energy companies in the UK is dependant upon the future development of the UK's ROCs scheme and whether the Government has the nerve to hold its line on ROCs and then extend them into the future.

I've several friends in Renewable Energy and they tell me that the existing scheme, whilst good, has to be extended for a much longer time horizon if it is to better underwrite investments in renewable energy which will only be made in the period 2007 or so onwards. Big wind schemes, especially the second round of offshore wind, are only likely to be developed in that sort of time scale, but they need some political commitment on ROCs (preferably cross party) if they are to go ahead with any degree of surety.

What about silver? It does seem at present to be seriously underpriced (relative to gold) as a precious metal plus there's a genuine industrial demand.

I suspect that as the price of Gold continues to increase.......and the masses start to buy into this.......Silver will be the next best thing.

A sort of 'poor man's Gold' if you like.

Some people will consider Gold as 'too expensive' and look to Silver as a viable alternative, (which of course it is!).

Once the World wakes up to the fact that there is a shortage of Silver due to industrial usage and that there is more Gold around than Silver (above ground at least) then Silver could also be a good punt.

To be on the safe side I buy both Gold & Silver, although Silver is still 'dead cheap' compared to it's expensive cousin.

Cheers.

Yeah, who's for >$10 silver? I've been hearing good things about platinum too.

Don't dismiss gold just yet!!!!

.....from Bubb's perpective,yes it was the next big thing 3 years ago......in the US.

from a sterling investors point of view the market only really got started last year.

and the thing about commodity-based phases is they last about 15 years on average.

....so yes it's overbought at present....but this I believe is only temporary and should be treated as a buying opportunity upon any pullback,ready for another bout of dollar weakness,war with Iran and the UK housing crash(which conveniently weakens sterling to about $1.65-1.70 next year,with gold going up.....$525oz is not unrealistic......but for now I'll be looking to add at below $460

Edited by oracle

Don't dismiss gold just yet!!!!

.....from Bubb's perpective,yes it was the next big thing 3 years ago......in the US.

from a sterling investors point of view the market only really got started last year.

and the thing about commodity-based phases is they last about 15 years on average.

....so yes it's overbought at present....but this I believe is only temporary and should be treated as a buying opportunity upon any pullback,ready for another bout of dollar weakness,war with Iran and the UK housing crash(which conveniently weakens sterling to about $1.65-1.70 next year,with gold going up.....$525oz is not unrealistic......but for now I'll be looking to add at below $460

The problem is we haven't seen the sort of speculative frenzy with gold that normally comes with a bubble top. Gold will rise as long as inflationary pressure remains and the US dollar looks weak.

The problem is we haven't seen the sort of speculative frenzy with gold that normally comes with a bubble top. Gold will rise as long as inflationary pressure remains and the US dollar looks weak.

Agreed, the frenzy is your friend. When dinner party chit chat turns to gold, Aunt Bee stuffs her mattress with it, and cousin Johnny gets his first ingot for a graduation gift, then it's time to bail.